CAD Post and Core

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
First CAD post and core design.

Scanned impression and designed Post and Core in ExoCAD.

Scanner: KL scanner.
ExoCAD.

Which outsource suppliers can mill or laser sinter metal Post and Cores?

Knapp Laboratories.

Ken

Attachments

• Post1.jpg
    Post1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 164
  • post2.jpg
    post2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 149
  • post3.jpg
    post3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 153
  • post4.jpg
    post4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 149
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Ken, I expect a number of them can as long as it's an .stl file. TruCrown in PA, Dale Dental, maybe your friend Scott (lol),Argen or Bego might too. Might depend on alloy.

SpyGr

SpyGr

Reaction score
First CAD post and core design.

Scanned impression and designed Post and Core in ExoCAD.

Scanner: KL scanner.
ExoCAD.

Which outsource suppliers can mill or laser sinter metal Post and Cores?

Knapp Laboratories.

Ken

Hello Ken happy new year. You designed the post and core 100% in EXOCAD ? How you did that?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
KL scanner ? That's your design, right ? Scans look sharp, what camera are you using ?

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
KL scanner ? That's your design, right ? Scans look sharp, what camera are you using ?
Yes, KL scanner with EXOCAD.

Camera DMK23U445, 1.3MP-CCD-Monochrome camera.

Im designing posts with the KL scanner/meshing software along with ExoCAD for the CAD design and editing.

Scan the impression and model. Smooth and block out impression scan with ExoCAD.

Mesh impression scan and model with mesh software and convert to STL format.

Design core and post in ExoCAD as an Inlay.

Some details were left out. Going back and forth between ExoCAD and meshing software the file format is converted from .STL to .OBJ. The final impression mesh scan is inverted for the final core and post design.

Fits are good,several steps, fairly quick, no wax and casting.

Trying to design post, core and crown simultaneously now.

Ken

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Ken...making a DIY scanner is on my to-do list for this year...:)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Using the post and core option in 3shape and scanning the 3shape scan post is the easiest option. No need to mess with scanning the impression at all. It works the same as the implant scan bodies. Contact Sam @ CAP if you need them. You can select the size and length that you need and they have them in stock last I heard. They were the only company I could find that could hunt them down for me, even 3shape was confused at first.
upload_2014-1-3_13-52-1-png.15317

E

Easton Abley

Reaction score
Hi, do you know if it's possible to scan post and cores using the Renishaw exocad scanner ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi, do you know if it's possible to scan post and cores using the Renishaw exocad scanner ?
The touchprobe one? You'd have to wax it then leave a handle sticking out to go into the holder. Even then you'd have no way to get the occlusal surface scanned.

S

SAMKOUBBI

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm running into a technical problem with 3Shape scanposts. My clients send me scan files using 3shape intra-oral scanners using scanposts. We only use exocad with Dental wings or Medit scanners. We don't use 3shape Lab scanners which means we haven't got 3shape scanpost library. is there a way of getting the library. I have contacted 3Shape but no answer yet.

I appreciate your help

H

Himanshu Sheth

Reaction score
Yes, KL scanner with EXOCAD.

Camera DMK23U445, 1.3MP-CCD-Monochrome camera.

Im designing posts with the KL scanner/meshing software along with ExoCAD for the CAD design and editing.

Scan the impression and model. Smooth and block out impression scan with ExoCAD.

Mesh impression scan and model with mesh software and convert to STL format.

Design core and post in ExoCAD as an Inlay.

Some details were left out. Going back and forth between ExoCAD and meshing software the file format is converted from .STL to .OBJ. The final impression mesh scan is inverted for the final core and post design.

Fits are good,several steps, fairly quick, no wax and casting.

Trying to design post, core and crown simultaneously now.

Ken

One query.

After meshing the model and the impression externally, where, how and under what name do we insert it back into the Exocad data folder?

Top Bottom