C&B Model die printing

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone,

So I am playing around with 3D printing all my C&B models, using ExoCad to design the models and Dies (Usually from iTero Scans if that matters),and I am finding a few irregularities.

First, sometimes the Die doesn't fix exactly in the socket it was designed for. Dont get me wrong it fits in the socket but there is small space occasionally that creates slight mesial distal rotation in the die. I do somewhat oversized dies (Increased by 0.1mm) to compensate for my printers natural offset and usually the dies fit no problem with a nice tight seal, however some have this space. Is there some more specific settings in ExoCad that I could tinker with and change the socket size or perhaps eliminate any space created?

Kind of new to ExoCad so all help is much appreciated.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
http://wiki.exocad.com/wiki/index.php?title=Model_Design

You will have to run the model through the software first. After the initial proposal you will have the opportunity to change the parameters of the dies and the spacer on plate less models. Depending on which version of exo you are running you will also have different plate less model types, some have more parameter adjustments than others.

Once you are happy with the settings, go to CADApp/config/defaultparameters and change them in the xml file and save.

Last edited:
LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
http://wiki.exocad.com/wiki/index.php?title=Model_Design

You will have to run the model through the software first. After the initial proposal you will have the opportunity to change the parameters of the dies and the spacer on plate less models. Depending on which version of exo you are running you will also have different plate less model types, some have more parameter adjustments than others.

Once you are happy with the settings, go to CADApp/config/defaultparameters and change them in the xml file and save.

Okay that sounds simple enough, thanks for the info. Ill try configuring the settings a bit and maybe reducing the spacer so I can get a tighter fit.

die-modellmacher.de

die-modellmacher.de

Reaction score
Okay that sounds simple enough, thanks for the info. Ill try configuring the settings a bit and maybe reducing the spacer so I can get a tighter fit.
Hi DylandeBoer,

If you print the models the horizontal space between stump an pocket must be 0,03mm. Vertikal 0,01mm. Of course this depends on the resolution of your printer! 3d-systems Viper is working fine with this....
Also make sure the design is pinless!
Even for printing it's good to design for milling (the last parameter in the options) which needs to be be activate in checkbox. There use a value of 0,5mm which will round the edges and gives you a smoother insertion.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
What printer is it?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
What printer is it?

We have 2 Printers now both Eden 260v on is the new Dental Series however. We are getting fairly accurate results, accurate enough to make crowns and what not with minimal adjustment, its just that damn spacer we still get a slight play in the die. Granted its easy enough to print a master model with the die fused together but simply put it would be nice to have a die fit comparable to the ones we get now which I assumed are milled.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
What model software are you using.
I like the exocad model creator.
But I have the 3 shape as well but my preference is exocad.

The 260V will print good digital models ...
Now I know people will disagree.. But keeping all in the digital domain..and in perspective .. ie creating the crowns and bridges etc by milling /grinding etc it will print good models to check the work.

No you cannot wax up on the models .. But that's not what they are for.

After printing clean up models with some sodium hydroxide and your support material will come if easier.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
What model software are you using.
I like the exocad model creator.
But I have the 3 shape as well but my preference is exocad.

The 260V will print good digital models ...
Now I know people will disagree.. But keeping all in the digital domain..and in perspective .. ie creating the crowns and bridges etc by milling /grinding etc it will print good models to check the work.

No you cannot wax up on the models .. But that's not what they are for.

After printing clean up models with some sodium hydroxide and your support material will come if easier.

Well our Crown and Bridge department uses Exocad to create all its models and what not, I use 3 Shape for orthodontics and digital R&D, we have gotten great results with 3D printing the models and even with pressing and using them as burnout for crowns and veneers. The biggest difference in quality of fit and margin integrity was UV curing, for the longest time we didnt UV cure our models and we never had to because with Orthodontics the appliance dont need to be within a 15-30 micron range to be accurate.

Its funny how 2 trivial components like Sodium Hydroxide bath and UV curing make a world of difference.

Top Bottom