Bonding/cementing to existing crown

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Hey, have you guys made a prosthesis to bond/cement to an existing porcelain tooth? If so what material and what cement/bond would you use?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
M@de some PMMA temps to bond over a existing FM rehab to try out the vertical and functional changes. Then did the final quadrants over time.
We used Multilink I believe.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If the restoration can etch and the substrate can etch its easy.

Made a bunch of pressed glass to put a bandaid on fractured PFMS over the years. The acid to etch the porcelain is not something most clients have in office I have used sent the stuff we etch EMAX with in the past but I believe its not suited for the mouth.

It becomes a bit more difficult when metal is exposed especially when you do not know the composition of the alloy. There are a ton of ways around building a bondable surface with either tin plating, metal priming, then opaquing with resin before you move forward but the absolute strongest bond is glass to glass rather than glass to resin.

I took a class with Ray Bertolottii from Danville years ago on adhesive dentistry, had very little to do with what I do on a daily basis but it got me thinking more like a chemist on what to suggest when **** went wrong.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
if anybody knows how to repair their old vmks its you kimba, dentist have had to repair heaps of yours haven't they.hehhehheh

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
I made an emax veneer once to bond onto a chipped PFM bridge on an elderly patient. It worked just fine as far as I know.

Did you etch the PFM? Or did you just go for it? And what bond did you use?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Did you etch the PFM? Or did you just go for it? And what bond did you use?
It was etched, but I don't know what they used. The office uses Rely-X products but I don't know which one, this was years ago. They didn't ask me how me how to etch or bond it, they just asked if I could me if I could make it.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
..my Docs usually just prep them down to the metal and I make a pfm to go over it.... I'm talking bridges..