Best way to apply pink acrylic on pmma hybrid

• Thread starter prestige.dental
  • Start date
prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

How much do u guys reduce the flange of pmma hybrid for applying pink acrylic and

Do u use a monoject syringe to apply runny acrylic from cej to cej on the pmma

What is your technique.

Would u kindly share

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So let me get this straight you have a tech or techs that are capable to design/mill complex strategies but can not figure out how to apply a skim coat of acrylic to a mock PMMA hybrid?

For the record we use Gradia composite and opticolor in my lab not acrylic. Roughen, prime apply color/composite cure, adjust and finally seal. A full arch takes less than 20 minutes to do a high end job.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
So let me get this straight you have a tech or techs that are capable to design/mill complex strategies but can not figure out how to apply a skim coat of acrylic to a mock PMMA hybrid?

For the record we use Gradia composite and opticolor in my lab not acrylic. Roughen, prime apply color/composite cure, adjust and finally seal. A full arch takes less than 20 minutes to do a high end job.

Hello John:

Thanks for replying. Actually the plan is to mill pmma and bar simultaneously to fit together and the acrylic wrap around with the same acrylic to go over the flanges too.

So with this scheme, how should the pink acrylic be dealt with to look nice and have a nice anatomy.

My tech is a dental assistant who runs all the machines but is not good with acrylic. We just got TruMill 550( versa mill) from 3 D Biocad in Seattle to make bars, hence the need for acrylic skill.

I am very happy with the support from 3D Biocad. Much happier compared to CAP. I have started enjoying my machines, it was very depressing with CAP. I can see the difference in the level of engineering knowledge.

Sam

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If milling the top half in PMMA to sleeve the bar then I would wax the intaglio and gingival contours and inject resin like I would if I set REAL denture teeth.

Have you looked into the suggested use of milled PMMA in puck form? Do you feel its a candidate for the final restorations you are planning to use? I am not certain but if I was to read the IFU I am pretty sure none of them are for final placement in the mouth.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi John, have you ever tried the acetal resin from Zhan I think. Supposed to be 80% stronger than PMMA. Limited shades though and I'm not aware of a multi in this material. Did an interesting conversion once with a patient who had a really small gold implant bridge frame with acrylic teeth on it. Problem was the teeth were fracturing on a monthly basis so we stripped it and copy milled the pre-op in acetal resin. Bonded that to the framework and dressed it up with gradia & Opti glaze. Patient was thrilled.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we use Acytal over PMMA for these situations, although PEKKTON is also a better solution.

but yes, John is 100% correct - wax it up, dupe it and then inject composite or w/e you want that's pink or mahari lol

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hi John, have you ever tried the acetal resin from Zhan I think. Supposed to be 80% stronger than PMMA. Limited shades though and I'm not aware of a multi in this material. Did an interesting conversion once with a patient who had a really small gold implant bridge frame with acrylic teeth on it. Problem was the teeth were fracturing on a monthly basis so we stripped it and copy milled the pre-op in acetal resin. Bonded that to the framework and dressed it up with gradia & Opti glaze. Patient was thrilled.

As much as I hate Zahn they are the only game in town for millable acetal that has been cleared. I got some through back channels just so I didn't have to deal with them :)

Its decent, not very aesthetic, but you are right has some give. We bought it for snap on diagnostics. Works awesome for that.

As for Pekkton it still requires a veneer on it, to make it look like anything tooth-shade. The material has my attention and going to take a course on this in November.

In my opinion the ability to mill out a top to a free shape milled bar and have a fast way to retread is an awesome path especially with the LOOK of the gradient PMMA. What I don't know is how well this compares in wear to the high end nano filled composite teeth I set for my resin to ti hybrids.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Thanks John, look forward to hearing your thoughts after your Nov. course. I haven't done any hybrid resin/Ti cases but have seen many failures. These are do due pour acrylic techniques as opposed to injection processing, which I believe you use, and are a must. I took in a lecture from Tom Wade in Chicago which showed how true this was. I'm sticking with Zirconia with minimal layering presently but have done some hybrid cases using IvoBase also. This particular patient for the acetal resin solid/bonded was a finacial consideration and certainly filled the ticket in terms of all expectations and previous heartaches... a make over wasn't on the radar at all. Pt. had severe sensitvity tissue wise so we wanted to stay exactly within the envelope of what they had before. Hope this all makes sense :)

Top Bottom