Best burrs for high Palladium content (50%)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We've been working in a 50%Palladium,25%silver metal for about a year now and cannot seem to find a burrs that cuts smoothly and have any longevity. The cheaper ones seem to cut good, but the bur texture is rather rough, on the other end, the nicer ones seem to dull far quicker. Any suggestions for this application? The metal specifically is Superior by Jensen if that helps.

I've been doing this for about 5 yrs now & our lead has about 30 yrs on me. Just getting tired of adjusting to new burr characteristics every few weeks. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance to any who try to help.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Komet DF Tungsten carbides are real nice. The DTi Tungsten carbides are super aggressive but work awesome at higher speeds if you can really maintain control, but Id try the DFs unless youre going to be on NP or titanium.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank much, I'll tag our Komet guy next time he comes thru town.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ill be curious to hear how you like them, but the more interesting comments will come in a year when your still using the same bur. Full honesty here...Im using THE same bur for over a year and under the microscope it shows no signs of wear.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I second the Komet tools.

I also love their ZR series for Sintered Zirconia and the "H" series FG style for Titanium.

Well worth the $$!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
That is truly incredible. I'll have to see about that for sure. Maybe we can ask nicely and get one to try.. We've gone to sandblasting them to get the bite back by removing the bent edges, but that only lasts a few copings, or at best days.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Primus, consensus is good!

We don't, at this point anyway, do any sintering, but i guess the zirc abutments respond favorably to them?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Ditto on the Komets. I just tried the Tungsten cutters and they are freaking awesome. A little $$ at $29 a carbide, but for what they do, I'll eat the extra cost. A dream to work with.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ooooooo, diamonds....

only really use'em for interior fit issues and removing all the porcelain when Dr wants a shade "just a bit lighter"

Never have understood why diamomds are so !@#$% expensive, carbon is one of the most plentiful elements in the universe. They used to be found laying on the ground in many places and can still sometimes be found that way today in some African areas. Alluvial diamods they call'em.

Thanks!

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Sintered last forever! Don't clog! Don't contaminate use for everything!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the input, were ordering the DFs soon. Boss liked the sintered diamonds idea, but the texture isnt what our ceramist is accustomed to building on. Funny how the little things can throw your eye off.

Everybody have a great weekend. May G-d bless.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ill be curious to hear how you like them, but the more interesting comments will come in a year when your still using the same bur. Full honesty here...Im using THE same bur for over a year and under the microscope it shows no signs of wear.

Got them in today, ooohhhhhhhhh my.

über wunderbar, thanks much!

Top Bottom