Benefits/Dangers of securing mill housing to wall?

I

illumi

Reaction score
Just curious about this. We have our mills backing a cement wall and I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be at all beneficial or dangerous to secure the housing with brackets to the wall?

Right now we have a heavy duty steel table which works quite well as a base but I noticed the mill can do some jiggly stuff during certain high speed movements. A bit worried if I take that motion out it might cause more stress on the internal connections.

Thanks!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Force has to go somewhere. The other thing to be concerned about is the vibration and motion the wall would transfer to the mill.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Snoop Dog.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
As long as the axis and the chassis are moving together, everything is bueno. Its when they fight each other your going to have problems

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you're thinking of putting a loose piece of climbing rope or something to the wall and then to the machine to keep it from walking off the table. May be fine. Most of the vibratory force would be dissipated by the density of the rope or whatever.

Not likely, but if there is a continuous oscillatory wave of similar periodicity, from either the wall or the machine, it could build into a problem of resonance feedback, no matter how much the rope or whatever damps the energy. If you are in a multistory building, high enough up, this can be caused simply from the wind.

user name

user name

Reaction score
When I set up for the first mill, I got a 2 inch thick slab of marble and placed vibration isolation pads underneath, then set the mill on top.
I don't think its needed, but...I was recently running a few calibrations, and had someone walk in. If I can see jiggles in my coffee cup, I know the mill feels it too. Theres a point where enough is enough and there are other considerations to improve quality.

I

illumi

Reaction score
Thanks guys. All good posts, especially if you listened to snoop dog back in day :).

Had some calibration issues on the y-axis so was trying to figure it out. Specs are repeatable to .01 mm which I get on z and x and the a axis but the y axis is giving me a headache. I get .02 out on one side of test coping and .02 on the other so a total .04 when milling at the outside of the disk but near y zero point for blank. Will try the marble and cleaning out guide rails and a different placement spot. Who knows maybe a belt issue.

Machine brochure says axis separated from housing for accuracy which I am a bit confused about. Not sure what that means or how the y axis which has guide rails built into the bottom of the machine could even be separated from the housing. Oh well, back to milling test copings.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. All good posts, especially if you listened to snoop dog back in day :).

Had some calibration issues on the y-axis so was trying to figure it out. Specs are repeatable to .01 mm which I get on z and x and the a axis but the y axis is giving me a headache. I get .02 out on one side of test coping and .02 on the other so a total .04 when milling at the outside of the disk but near y zero point for blank. Will try the marble and cleaning out guide rails and a different placement spot. Who knows maybe a belt issue.

Machine brochure says axis separated from housing for accuracy which I am a bit confused about. Not sure what that means or how the y axis which has guide rails built into the bottom of the machine could even be separated from the housing. Oh well, back to milling test copings.
Something that may help. One of the tricks to finding where to put a sub-woofer when installing a theater system is to put the woofer wherever and crawl around the floor till you hear it best in one spot, that's the spot to put the woofer. All buildings and structures have these focus points. If you do the reverse, you will find the place with less vibrations transmitted to it than any other, just look for the opposite while you crawl around the floor. The quietest place will be the place that has the least vibration transmission. This is where I'd put the mill. As close as possible to that spot.

And, yes, I'm serious. And a little crazy.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think Charles told me back in the day that DAL had Wieland minis mounted to the wall for the exact reason that others are discounting. Its a huge isolation magnet.

If you have a masonry wall I would bet that it would be way more vibration free than just about any table you could set it on.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think Charles told me back in the day that DAL had Wieland minis mounted to the wall for the exact reason that others are discounting. Its a huge isolation magnet.

If you have a masonry wall I would bet that it would be way more vibration free than just about any table you could set it on.
Interior main support wall, I'd go glady along. Exterior road facing wall, not a chance. Every heavy truck that comes down my road vibrates the wall and floor. Of course my speakers do a pretty good job of vibrating both also Biggrin

Top Bottom