Bego Varseo 3D Printer

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It would be easy to book your holidays.

T

TMorsePhillips

Reaction score
Our lab (Morse Dental Lab in Ohio) purchased a BEGO Varseo in October 2015 and put it into production in the beginning of November 2015 (sorry Taylor). I've been running 15-20 RPD units a week through our printer (designed on a Dental Wings Series 7). Here's a link with photos of our setup and some photos of the printer output. We've been relatively happy with this unit and we're in the process of ramping up for an expansion to our RPD department as a result of increased production capabilities resulting from our move to digitized design and printing. If you have questions, I'd be happy to provide honest answers to questions about using the Varseo for printing and casting frameworks. If you're thinking about purchasing this unit, be sure to schedule the 2 day training with Martin and Chip in RI. That information is priceless!
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mors...nking-increasing-value-phillips?trk=prof-post

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
Yep. Some experience on Bego Varseo here too. Machine seems to be good but there is always something. Here is small summary of things ive encountered.

- Splints: all good. no problems, except some occational errors with 3shape/Cambridge outputs, but it is not printer fault.

- Models: Material is not yet "complete" and some issues have occured: Sometimes layers on a model are not "mended" together (layers are visible),which naturally renders model useless.

- Impression Trays: One should pay attention how to prepaire objects for printing. Some impression trays have been missing handles due improper orientation/placement.

- CAD/Cast: We have not done much of these, but with one occation i noticed same thing that with trays: part of a work was "missing" due improper object orientation and placement.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Sorry, haven't been on the site for a while. Here is a pic of the nesting that we are doing for models currently. The models are printed solid, but we are working on getting the thickness down to make accurate models with a hollowed out space for material savings as well.

The second photo looks wet as it was just out of the vat, with the uncured material still present on the surface. The first photo showing the dies is what the product looks like fully cured and cleaned.

Attachments

• 20160303_143516.jpg
    20160303_143516.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 20160303_141247.jpg
    20160303_141247.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 184
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
- Models: Material is not yet "complete" and some issues have occured: Sometimes layers on a model are not "mended" together (layers are visible),which naturally renders model useless.

We had a few models do this as well. The problem we encountered was improper/incomplete mixing of the material in the vat, as well as at least one instance of cured material in the liquid material that caused separation of the layers during printing. All user error on our part.

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
We had a few models do this as well. The problem we encountered was improper/incomplete mixing of the material in the vat, as well as at least one instance of cured material in the liquid material that caused separation of the layers during printing. All user error on our part.

I see. We use separate containers for separate materials and before we even printed anything, the Finnish retailer set the machine to do "mixing" before printing procedure (and we make sure that it still does it). Retailer has had same problems and they say it might be material. I dont know, it could be material but t might be error on our side as well.. But i just wonder what mistake we are making :-/

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
You will need to manually mix the material as well and not rely on the mixing mode. the material has some solid particulates in the mixture that will need to be incorporated back into the mix once it has sat for more than half a day or so. We use a silicone cooking spatula and mix for a solid 2 minutes to be sure the material is homogeneous. Give that a shot if you haven't already.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Here's a plate we pulled today. This is the most we have crammed into one build. So far, so good!

Additionally, another thing to do to combat that "separation" on the bottom layers is to raise things up off the build plate slightly. That seems to alleviate any issues that may creep up. Put everything up on pins.

Attachments

• Full Plate 2.jpg
    Full Plate 2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Full Plate1.jpg
    Full Plate1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Full Plate 3.jpg
    Full Plate 3.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 123
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's impressive. How long would it take to print that?

Last edited:
J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
We got material files (to 3shape) from BEGO couple a days ago and now i do some serious testing with models. Today i tried with 2 complete scanned models, both pinned "heavily". One came out nicely and that one was oriented so that it was "higher". Second one had "the separator effect" (and i was closer to plate).

Printing time depends on the highest object. my experience is that ~65mm height takes approx 4 hrs.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
- Splints: all good. no problems, except some occational errors with 3shape/Cambridge outputs, but it is not printer fault.

How is the optical clarity of the material? /how durable does it seem? Does it pass the bounce test(I can throw a milled splint on the ground as hard as I can with no effect on it)? What is the cost of the material? What is the material cost per splint? Lot's of questions, Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Reaction score
Oh I for got to tell you the bego printer tops out at 88 mph Laugh

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
Optical clarity of splints is good, despite blueish tint. Letting it fall to floor (from peak height 2.3 meters) does not do anything, but throwing splint/biteguard to a concrete wall with full force.. it did something :-D

Different materials have different prices. Because of possible Finnish competitors reading these forums, i don't want to enclose exact prices in these "semipublic" threads. :)

To my experience it is the time save that matters most. You can design eg. occlusal splint in 15 mins (and it will fit, but it is still crappy),but it takes a bit longer to do good job. I talked to a guy who did those manually in 1.5 hrs per item. But now, working time more like ~30mins to design + 15-30 mins for finishing (atm we use normal articulator to check bite, do some drilling and then polishing) + 10 mins to take finished items from printer and prep the printing surface (clean it) for new job. OFC printing takes time, but it does not stop you from designing new things.

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
I thought there is no medically approved material for splints. Is it Bego's own material?

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
I thought there is no medically approved material for splints. Is it Bego's own material?

Its Bego's own material. It should, according to Finnish retailer, be certified for "medical apparatus for non-invasive and long term use" (long term being 30+ days) Because it used for "oral" apparatuses, im GUESSING that it has CE Medical Class II certificate.. But i have not red the Medical Devices Directive THAT well (i dont know all criterias) nor i dont know the actual CE certificate number, so i cannot verify what that.

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
CE is European cert. US (FDA) has their own. i dont know when FDA approval is ready.

K

Kan

Reaction score

We got the same printer just last week. Would you mind sharing your settings in CAMBridge for printing the models upright?

Actually, I am pretty new at this and any bits of info will help. Thanks!

Top Bottom