Beading and Boxing methods

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
In the 80's we used to buy wall paper cleaner from the hardware store. It's the exact same as the
pink wonder stuff. No one seems to carry it anymore though. I guess wall paper went out of style.Dontknow
Used it to block out undercuts on imps with a partial .

edit: so I was curious and found it on fleabay. This was the stuff but the price went
through the roof .
image.png

Last edited:
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
50/50 mix of plaster and pumice mixed thick, use it to make patty and set impression in patty. Smooth edges and tongue space with spatula and allow 5 minutes to set. Gently trim to desired land area dimensions with cast trimmer and box with boxing wax. Apply thin coat of separator to pumice/plaster land are and pour.

The pumice added to the plaster weakens it enough to be able to break the plaster away from the tray and cast after the stone has set.

Learned this method in school back in the late 80's. Used many other techniques, including wondercrap (I mean wonderfil),alginate in a plaster bowl, rope and boxing wax, and probably a few more I can't remember. I always still go back to the plaster/pumice method. Easy to control, stable, gives you back what you put into it. I'll see if I can find some old instructional photos and post them.

How does it work with alginates? I generally pour them before 5min for reduced distortion.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
50/50 mix of plaster and pumice mixed thick, use it to make patty and set impression in patty. Smooth edges and tongue space with spatula and allow 5 minutes to set. Gently trim to desired land area dimensions with cast trimmer and box with boxing wax. Apply thin coat of separator to pumice/plaster land are and pour.

The pumice added to the plaster weakens it enough to be able to break the plaster away from the tray and cast after the stone has set.

Learned this method in school back in the late 80's. Used many other techniques, including wondercrap (I mean wonderfil),alginate in a plaster bowl, rope and boxing wax, and probably a few more I can't remember. I always still go back to the plaster/pumice method. Easy to control, stable, gives you back what you put into it. I'll see if I can find some old instructional photos and post them.
That's what I was thinking, never done it that way, but it was explained to me years ago in a 15 second fashion.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Please expound.
Please expound.

Yeah, only for rubber base (poly-sulfide) or PVS )poly-vinyl-siloxane),not for alginate. and only for denture or RPD finals.

Alginates are almost always done with a two step method - pour teeth and peripheries, add nodules and hang till reach initial set. Gently trim nodules to give "level" occlusal plane, mix stone and make patty, then invert impression into stone and smooth. Again, taught this in school and still the best method (in my opinion) to give accurate models.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yeah, only for rubber base (poly-sulfide) or PVS )poly-vinyl-siloxane),not for alginate. and only for denture or RPD finals.

Alginates are almost always done with a two step method - pour teeth and peripheries, add nodules and hang till reach initial set. Gently trim nodules to give "level" occlusal plane, mix stone and make patty, then invert impression into stone and smooth. Again, taught this in school and still the best method (in my opinion) to give accurate models.
thanks!

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
That's a lotta work for ten bux.... I couldn't sell my Dr.'s a model for $25-30... They would just (badly) pour themselves. Chop chop... gotta go... stone is about right to flip impressions onto my patties bang, bang, bang bang--- 40 bux in no time....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
That's a lotta work for ten bux.... I couldn't sell my Dr.'s a model for $25-30... They would just (badly) pour themselves. Chop chop... gotta go... stone is about right to flip impressions onto my patties bang, bang, bang bang--- 40 bux in no time....
Roll it into your pricing structure, don't line item it.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

I understand that. But I would roll all prices together, not line item. One price per denture, to include all prelim work including casts. That way I know I get them to do all steps that should be done, without balking at it because it would cost an extra $20 for each custom tray, or $50 to do a processed base.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
I'm not into charging for work I do not do... I'm not sneaky like that... it's all on the table with the ingredients in the menu. Helps me starting at a bad impression all the way to the point of billing when I break out departmental costs..

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
... and I surely wouldn't want to lose a job because I am charging for a tray or models I am not making... I keep my base vehicle low... adding options as the customer deems appropriate.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
th

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I'm not into charging for work I do not do... I'm not sneaky like that... it's all on the table with the ingredients in the menu. Helps me starting at a bad impression all the way to the point of billing when I break out departmental costs..

Never said I would charge for something I did not do. I said this way I make sure the dentist does a custom tray, does a processed base, etc.

I am not about cheating the doctor or more importantly the patient.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
I do not attempt to "make sure" my account does anything. I work for him. I feel very strongly if a Dr. uses the correct disposable tray and imp material--- the custom tray and processed bp are unnecessary as are the costs thereof IN MY SITUATION. I am respectfully putting my method out there. I never said you did say to charge for a service you were not rendering. This was not meant to be any sort of attack on anybody... Just a statement that $$$ is time to me. Peace!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
And peace to you. I understand as well there are different business models that work. And I am glad yours is working for you.

However, I will say that I do not feel I work for any dentist. We work as a team to give the patient the best prosthesis possible at the best price, while still making a comfortable living. If either the dentist or I decide to not be on the same team anymore, that is ok, because that just means our techniques and or methodology are not compatible.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
many years ago when i worked the model dept i had a little piece of metal kinda like a square bracket, with a detachable top. we'd pour a mix of blue stone and plaster onto the bracket, gently place the denture on it, wait till set, and lather it in separator and pour only plaster on top affixing the metal top piece.

no idea what they called this thing but it has something to do with the word Jig.

quick googling reveals i was right

691646.jpg

is this what is being discussed? not a removables guy, just a former plaster worker turned CADCAM expert.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
not quite. That is a brand new reline jig that has never seen a hammer.

They are talking about pouring up the final impression by " boxing" or bordering the walls around the periphery of the pvs so that you capture the vesibules without locking the whole thing in stone.

Apparently they are still stuck in the '80s and are arguing over a useless method that went they way of most hair bands of that era.