Atlantis Screw Retained Crown Abutments

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Atlantis just started offering these. I don't have much info on them. What I do know is that you have to wax up the crown on the model, send it to them and then they will make a screw-retained abutment with about 1mm cutback over the entire waxup. If anyone has done one of these abutments, I would like to get some feedback. These seem like they may be a cheaper alternative to a Zir abutment and full porcelain crown, while not sacrificing esthetics.

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Hi Brett there is an atlantis roadshow next thurs where i live in Newcastle upon Tyne U.K. I'll get as much info as i can and let you know!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I'm staying away from all zir abuttments for now on.
I've had too many break at the hex.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Atlantis just started offering these. I don't have much info on them. What I do know is that you have to wax up the crown on the model, send it to them and then they will make a screw-retained abutment with about 1mm cutback over the entire waxup. If anyone has done one of these abutments, I would like to get some feedback. These seem like they may be a cheaper alternative to a Zir abutment and full porcelain crown, while not sacrificing esthetics.

While I try and not work with Atlantis I have in the past. We have done many many many screw retained Zi crowns with a similar technique utilizing my Nobel system.

The only limitation to doing this technique is on some molars to get the proper support the restoration will be out side the milling blank for an abutment. I have heard that Nobel is working on a solution for this aside from scanning a metal interface and cementing it to place like most other competitors are doing.

As for Al's comment I have seen issues as well but as I have stated in the past I believe that this is more do to the Dr not seating the abutment correctly and using the screw to pull it into place. Make sure you make jig and no matter how easy it is to place it suggest that they use it. Saves some headaches.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
John - I have a resident report the same problem with Etkon blank for an
anterior bridge abutment for a mand/lower incisor after all the planning, etc.
Wish Straumann and Nobel release dimensions of the blank before design of
the custom abutment commences.
LCM

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Al, I haven't had any problems with the hex on Zir abutments fracturing so I think John might be on to something with his comment.

Looking forward to any info you find Cheadle. Thanks!

John, why don't you like working with Atlantis? Just curious.

I did some thinking about this new product over the last 24 hours. It seems like it might be a good option for doing an all porcelain anterior restoration. I only handle the implant design and the waxing and pressing of our e.Max crowns. Someone else does the layering. Am I wrong in thinking that using a Custom Crown Abutment would be a better alternative to Custom Abutment/Cementable e.Max Crown?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No room for profit. They are crazy expensive for a $.99 piece of Zirconia and a $8 screw. Sure, the box is pretty.

Why work with them, I ask?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
My lab is in a Straumann dominated area. Straumann has been very agressive about telling dentists and oral surgeons that if they use any part but theirs, they will void the warranty on the implant. Atlantis covers that warranty if anything goes wrong with the implant even if it isn't their fault.

Another reason I use Atlantis is customer service. I actually credit one of their sales reps for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of custom abutments. They have also worked with my lab and got us on their partner plan that lowered the costs of each abutment by about $40 and they put my lab in the beta testing for scanning models so I didn't have to pay for the FLO kit, which was $1200. They also gave me a ticket to the Spectrum Dialogue seminar at Lab Day in Chicago last year when I told them I couldn't afford to go.

I know they are more expensive, but that warranty gives me the confidence to sell custom abutments to my dentists in cases where they are preferable.