Apply porcelanin to old bridge

C

chr1978

Reaction score
My coworker is having a problem when trying to add porcelain to an old bridge(chrome cobolt framework). It's normally not af problem when the bridge has only been in the patients mouth for a few weeks. But sometimes we get a bridge that has been temporary bonded and needs more porcelain efter 3 or 4 months in the patients mouth - usually beneath the pontics.

We have been told by our supplier that the cracks in the porcelain is caused by saliva/bacteria penetrating the porcelain. Their advice is to submerge the bridge in a disinfecting solution(same stuff used for impressions) for 24 hours before trying to fire porcelain, but they also said we could not be sure it will work.

My question is:

How to you pull this of?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
There's a product called "Porcelain wash" made by ADS...it helps getting rid of any organic material what might seeped into the small cracks and voids.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
I haven't had to do this for a while but this is what worked for me. Lightly blast the glaze off of the crown or bridge. Place in ultrasonic for 15-20 min in a liquid called porcelain wash , available from ADS. Followed by several hours or overnight if possible under the muffle at idle temp.

C

chr1978

Reaction score
It it really that simple?

Then the most difficult will be to persuade the dentists to let us have the bridge for 24 hours:cool: They normally expect the bridge back in 3 hours.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
I forgot cross your fingers and pray while its firing.

C

chr1978

Reaction score
I am not sure porcelain wash by ADS in available in Denmark. Do you know if any of the major brands has a similar product?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I am not sure porcelain wash by ADS in available in Denmark. Do you know if any of the major brands has a similar product?
Denmark.
Old bridge in the furnace at idle.....
"There's something rotten in Denmark"
I think there's a joke in there somewhere. I'm just too tired to put it all together.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It it really that simple?

Then the most difficult will be to persuade the dentists to let us have the bridge for 24 hours:cool: They normally expect the bridge back in 3 hours.

If they need it back in a rush then sandblast ,etch, and bond composite.
If they want it in porcelain then you have to dry as previously explained.

use low fusing ,better yet use GC Inintial Lustre paste.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Back in the late 70's working inhouse cases like that were put in front of me all the time to save on patient cost. Laugh.
We came up with a technique that worked 100% of the time, assuming your using the same porcelain for the add on.
1. Sandblast entire bridge and clean up.
2. Place in toaster oven, etc at 200 F for 24 to 48 hours. ( Our theory, dry slowly under the boiling temp of water so the bridge
will not steam from the moisture absorbed in the porcelain)
3. Take out of oven then resandlbast again, clean and add porcelain as usual.

Good luck trying to repair on NP alloy.
May want to make an index , putty index to use as a guide should the porcelain pop off and or bubble up.

IVY

IVY

Reaction score
Leave in Acetone overnight then do the oven dry out procedure!

Top Bottom