Anyone working with the new Carestream scanner yet?

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
I see that Carestream has a new intra-oral scanner and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
We are getting a demo, here in the lab soon. On paper, it's looks like a nice scanner!

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I did 8-9 cases with an account who purchased a CareStream unit late last year. The data was fine. The doctor couldn't retract or control fluid, so the cases were a disaster. I think it costs $20k with an annual maintenance fee that I can't recall - $2500/yr? I would characterize it as slightly less expensive iTero, but without the ability to get your models milled, so you would need a model printer or an outsource..

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we are Carestream Certified and have done a few cases. Data was not bad at all actually, but it cost the same as an iTero..to which i would prefer out doctor get an iTero over a carestream.

but generally? it's better than sirona and TrueDef

Dan Delrose

Dan Delrose

Reaction score
I have been using the CS 3500 and CS Solutions since July 2013. I was a big iTero user and E4D (now Planmeca) since 2010. E4D was ok for those single units when you had the time, but I wanted to take digital impressions for all my fixed thats why I got the iTero. Why send an analog impression (rubber base) to the lab, since they are digitizing and virtually creating the restoration, eliminate the errors associated with rubberbase and gypsum (and the cost of redoing impressions and models). My office has milled about 300 restorations for single units and no longer use iTero for any other fixed work or with Clear Correct. The only time I use rubber base material is for my removables. The acuracy is equivalent to iTero; but it is the ease of use and integration which hits a home run with me!!!!!

CB93

CB93

Reaction score
I see that Carestream has a new intra-oral scanner and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it?

We just did a demo of one last week. We got some good detailed images out of it. I was impressed enough to order one. 27K with 3 year warranty/support/upgrades.

The things I like: Powder free, USB 2 connection, cart-less, stl export. I'll let you know how it works out.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have been using the CS 3500 and CS Solutions since July 2013. I was a big iTero user and E4D (now Planmeca) since 2010. E4D was ok for those single units when you had the time, but I wanted to take digital impressions for all my fixed thats why I got the iTero. Why send an analog impression (rubber base) to the lab, since they are digitizing and virtually creating the restoration, eliminate the errors associated with rubberbase and gypsum (and the cost of redoing impressions and models). My office has milled about 300 restorations for single units and no longer use iTero for any other fixed work or with Clear Correct. The only time I use rubber base material is for my removables. The acuracy is equivalent to iTero; but it is the ease of use and integration which hits a home run with me!!!!!

So are you model less or do you use printed models?

R

Robert Pauley

Reaction score
I have been using the Carestream 3500 Intraoral Scanner since last fall. I have the CS 3000 milling unit as well so I have been able to scan, design, mill and deliver a crown in one appointment. I recently sent a STL scan file to an outside laboratory; I am looking forward to seeing that final product. ClearCorrect will also accept full arch scans from the intraoral scanner for orthodontic aligner treatment. We have our first cases in production with them.
With regards to the quality of the scans; I find that you may need to adjust your crown preps to have a more definitive shoulder finish line and you will need to have good fluid control (I will pack and leave in the first cord).
This is the first intraoral scanning unit I have used but my research prior to it's installation gave me insight into bur selection, prep designs, ceramic block selection, cement selection as well as the cementation process.

Dan Delrose

Dan Delrose

Reaction score
So are you model less or do you use printed models?
If it is a single unit with no cut back, then no printed model is needed. If the restoration is being veneered, then it will need a printed model to verifiy contacts.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Interesting that you would prefer Clear Correct over Invisalign and printed models over milled.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Interesting that you would prefer Clear Correct over Invisalign and printed models over milled.
Clear Correct seems to be getting some good ramp up

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Why can't more dentists be like this guy?

Most guys I talk to about acquiring a digital impression system act like dropping $25k is going to put them in line at the soup kitchen, and this dude has probably dropped something north of $100k, easily.

I'm in the wrong neighborhood...

Dan Delrose

Dan Delrose

Reaction score
Clear correct has approved the use of the CS 3500 scanner, Invisalign owns iTero and therefore if it is a complicated case we wheel in the trolley and use the iTero. Most dental laboratories print models, I do like the fit of the milled models, but DSG will print a model that uses the iTero articulator.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
How do you adjust your margin offset without a model or die? Or do you just leave it thick?

Welcome to the forum dan, the name sounds familiar, I think I worked with your brother many years ago..??

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Clear Correct seems to be getting some good ramp up
Clear correct has approved the use of the CS 3500 scanner, Invisalign owns iTero and therefore if it is a complicated case we wheel in the trolley and use the iTero. Most dental laboratories print models, I do like the fit of the milled models, but DSG will print a model that uses the iTero articulator.

Clear Correct will only be available here in Q4 so thanks for the info.
I have the Trios pod so CC may be the better route than to wait for Align and 3 Shape to wed.

I use printed models and like what I get from Argen ( visijet?)

Dan Delrose

Dan Delrose

Reaction score
How do you adjust your margin offset without a model or die? Or do you just leave it thick?

Welcome to the forum dan, the name sounds familiar, I think I worked with your brother many years ago..??

We started with CEREC in 2000 so we are use to no model. If a restoration mills and the margin in not what you expect, you can regenerate the margin in 10 seconds or change the preferences for your new proposal. Trust the technology of CS Solutions!

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
We started with CEREC in 2000 so we are use to no model. If a restoration mills and the margin in not what you expect, you can regenerate the margin in 10 seconds or change the preferences for your new proposal. Trust the technology of CS Solutions!
Ugh.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Dan, it was your dad that i worked with now that i remember.

PJC.. Whats the deal? What is there to dislike about my post? Hmmmm2Questionmark

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i can print models with that articulator.