Anyone Try the New Material Trilor(Fiberglass reinforced technopolymer)

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so our one supplier that we get our PMMA and wax Blanks from sent us a free blank to try out. Its called Trilor(made by BioLoren). Its a fiberglass reinforced technopolymer material. Has a feel like Trinia material and is used just like you would use the Trinia material. I guess its used for most metal applications to where you need the strength of metal but can us metal. used for copings, bars, maryland bridges. This is just what i have read about the material and what i was told. So I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried this material out, and what they thought about it. Also not sure what kind of strategy to use to mill this. Do i use a PMMA strategy or the strategy for Trinia. Also is this material wet or dry milled. Couldnt get confident answers from the distributor that sent it to us. They said mill just like Trinia, but I wanted to make sure before milling. Thanks in advance for any info

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
How much is a puck ? I'm curious about this material also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Mill a single unit and see.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so our one supplier that we get our PMMA and wax Blanks from sent us a free blank to try out. Its called Trilor(made by BioLoren). Its a fiberglass reinforced technopolymer material. Has a feel like Trinia material and is used just like you would use the Trinia material. I guess its used for most metal applications to where you need the strength of metal but can us metal. used for copings, bars, maryland bridges. This is just what i have read about the material and what i was told. So I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried this material out, and what they thought about it. Also not sure what kind of strategy to use to mill this. Do i use a PMMA strategy or the strategy for Trinia. Also is this material wet or dry milled. Couldnt get confident answers from the distributor that sent it to us. They said mill just like Trinia, but I wanted to make sure before milling. Thanks in advance for any info

I just asked one of my customers who uses all these new material pucks and he said dry mill & Pmma strategies.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what would you make from it? what is your proposed application?

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score

Hi Deadhead, we validated this with a DWX-51D in our office using the same cutting parameters as Trinia - with good results. It is a little more dense than Trinia however.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what did you make with it MikeW?

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
what did you make with it MikeW?

We milled a few test cases we use for validation:

upload_2017-9-5_20-25-54.png

upload_2017-9-5_20-26-4.png

Nothing too fancy, just enough to get a feel for the material and it's cutting characteristics. Start with the simple restorations to test cutting parameters and fine tune it as we mill the more complex objects (screw retained, attachments, undercuts).

The only thing I would caution is placing supports on thin walls - when we were cutting one of the parts out, it splintered and took the lower chunk of the margin with it. It gets pretty brittle at lower thicknesses (.4mm).

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i see. have you come up with specifics for machine feeds and speeds?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We milled a few test cases we use for validation:

View attachment 27376

View attachment 27377

Nothing too fancy, just enough to get a feel for the material and it's cutting characteristics. Start with the simple restorations to test cutting parameters and fine tune it as we mill the more complex objects (screw retained, attachments, undercuts).

The only thing I would caution is placing supports on thin walls - when we were cutting one of the parts out, it splintered and took the lower chunk of the margin with it. It gets pretty brittle at lower thicknesses (.4mm).
Those look surprisingly nice.

Do you know/can you tell us what the final milling burr was?
And did you mill dry or wet.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
MikeW those units look really nice. thanks for all the input. We are going to mill a few test units before trying to mill a bar or anything crazy, But based on how your test units came out I am curious to see how they mill on our Motion 2 or even with our Mikro machines. Might have to mill on our Roland because I am not sure if AG has a proper milling strategy for this material, but if its the same parameters as milling Trinia then I am assuming it should mill ok on our AG mills.

M

mikemed66

Reaction score
We have made partial frames with it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
We have made partial frames with it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
the literature suggests cutting speeds that seem ridiculously conservative. what kind of milling times would you see making a big partial out of this stuff?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i wonder if cutting it wet would make it any easier / faster to cut. It's reinforced polymer so my gut feeling is no. @MikeW when you validate on the 51/52DC what burs are you using? the Roland default ones?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
wet wouldnt speed it up just cut it neater. speeding it up would speed it up.

E

Elías

Reaction score
Which are the milling strategies of trinia and how do I introduce them for the Roland 51? Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
wet wouldnt speed it up just cut it neater. speeding it up would speed it up.
obviously you knew what i meant. If we milled wet would this allow a faster cutting speed. lol #thirstythursday

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Be carefull with the thickness. Specs are: Min. margin wall 0.2 - 06 mm
Min. circular wall 0.8 mm
Min. occlusal 0.8 - 1 mm
But i tell you that you need more thickness that claimed, If not i assure you it breaks. Damm it breaks... And then opaque and layer with compo. More thickness...
I have done twice hybrid and never never more. Prefer PEEK.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Be carefull with the thickness. Specs are: Min. margin wall 0.2 - 06 mm
Min. circular wall 0.8 mm
Min. occlusal 0.8 - 1 mm
But i tell you that you need more thickness that claimed, If not i assure you it breaks. Damm it breaks... And then opaque and layer with compo. More thickness...
I have done twice hybrid and never never more. Prefer PEEK.
did you cut using simple spiral cutters or did you adapt to Fiberglass cutters (see photo)
Fiberglass-Super-Hard-Milling-Cutter.jpg

fiberglass and carbon fiber would lose strength due to the fact the fibers separate if not cut correctly. at thin spots this would be a compounded problem and prone to failure.