• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any questions for Deaf patient helpers?

Discussion in 'Removable' started by JMN, Dec 21, 2016.

1. JMN
      Amused

JMN Christian Member Donator Full Member

Soon my travels will take me near a school that helps deaf people operate with more ease.

If I can get some time with the staff, are there any questions on prosthetics or oral appliances that you'd like me to ask? I plan on asking in advance for a few minutes, not just dropping in.

I'm curious if the school has found it necessary to re-assist people when they receive dentures or really anything that covers the landmarks as they can't hear the change and have taken painstaking steps to train themselves for the locations we would be covering.
      TomZ put up a great technique video on palate transferal to a denture, but there may be something more we can do when assisting patients with these issues.

And if they've found some solutions, or have questions of their own, I'll be sure to share them.

Edit: It's going to be at least a month, so until I post that I've been there, you haven't lost the chance for your question to be included in the discussion.

2. nvarras
      Goofy

nvarras Active Member Full Member

What?

3. JMN
      Amused

Many deaf and severly hearing impaired people learn to speak by tedious and time consuming training of the locations to put their tounges and shapes to make with their mouths.
      They cannot hear what they sound like. So they cannot adapt to a changed oral environment with the simplicity of a hearing person.

4. JKraver
      Tired

JKraver Well-Known Member Full Member

There is no way to place with precision the landmarks to where they once were, an acrylic denture has to have a thickness. Possibly a cast metal palate, because it can be very thin and adapt well. They will need to painstakingly relearn how to talk.

5. Juko

Juko Active Member Donator Full Member

I wonder if they feel vibrations and if those vibrations change.

6. doug
      Inspired

doug Well-Known Member Full Member

My wife is an Audiologist. I'm going to ask her about that tonight. She worked in a medical environment for years. Now all she does is test and dispense hearing aids. She hates it, but it pays the bills.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. JMN
      Amused

That's what I'm thinking as well. But I sure don't know anywhere close to everything.

8. JMN
      Amused

They feel them and can put their hand to their cheek, chest, and throat to assist in the training process.

9. JKraver
      Tired

JKraver Well-Known Member Full Member

Even a denture can get loose over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. JMN
      Amused

Thanks!

11. JMN
      Amused

Did you have an opportunity ask the good Mrs.Doug or are thijgs too crazy with holiday hijinks? No intent to be a nudge, just wondering.

12. doug
      Inspired

doug Well-Known Member Full Member

I mentioned it to her, she will get back to me on it. This retail job has a high "beat-down" factor to it. Thanks for the reminder as I kinda set it aside to focus on spending lots of money on Christmas.