Anatomical libraries

user name

user name

Reaction score
1) What do you feel are the short comings of the 3Shape library.
2) Have you seen the library fro CAP? Very expensive..but worth it?
3) Is it legal to scan some gnathoforms like Russ D.s'

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi,
I am an owner at CAP. The library works great in 3shape and dental wings.
If you simply look at the cost you may consider it to be expensive. However, if you CAD 7 or 8 full contour units a day and apply just $1 per unit to the cost of the library it will be paid for in less than a year and you own it forever.
If you are interested in providing quality work through digital solutions it may be the easiest way to make a dramatic improvement in the morphology of your cases.
Developing the library took several years of trial and adaptation and further development to get the library to produce a great morphological result very quickly.
Honestly, the library may be the least expensive way to improve designs and CAD time spent. Not to mention, improving the quality of the work you provide. It would take a very highly paid technician a long time to produce similar results using either system.

Herme

Herme

Reaction score
The CAP library is beautiful, and very well designed. Very prominent Carabelli cusps, which isn't to everyone's tastes, but I liked them.
That said, the Stock Libraries in 3shape are decent enough, I prefer the "C25" the most. Very busy with lots of detail. It served us well enough, until we could upgrade to some custom made libraries.
I don't know about the legality of scanning some stock model teeth, but I have found that with scanning and creating a library, getting a high level of detail in the posterior anatomy is quite difficult. Bob is dead on about that. The time you would spend in R & D, isn't worth the money you'd save.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
If you ever see a model that you think "Man I would love to have that one on file," Shoot me a PM and I will make you a template for you.

How much does a library cost and how many models are included?

-Patrick

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I just had an idea for a new invention. Load a milling machine with different shade plastic blanks, have machine scan cast and waxrim, or existing teeth (we are talking for dentures here) , add tooth shade and have cad/cam choose and mill teeth from tooth library. That would save a lot of trouble waiting for denture teeth to arrive by mail.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I just had an idea for a new invention. Load a milling machine with different shade plastic blanks, have machine scan cast and waxrim, or existing teeth (we are talking for dentures here) , add tooth shade and have cad/cam choose and mill teeth from tooth library. That would save a lot of trouble waiting for denture teeth to arrive by mail.

I was just talking about this with a client yesterday.

Scan the mouth and fab the base.
With the virtual articulator ,you " setup the teeth from the company's library(ie Vita Physiodens)

All excursions and vd has been determined by the facial mapping software applied to the facial scan.

The virtual tryin is observed and presented to the patient for viewing.

The base is tried in along with the sectins of teeth that were custom milled from Vita.

Light cure sections to base and add lightcure pink to finish acrylic.

Lightcure or microwave denture

Finished

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I was just talking about this with a client yesterday.

Scan the mouth and fab the base.
With the virtual articulator ,you " setup the teeth from the company's library(ie Vita Physiodens)

All excursions and vd has been determined by the facial mapping software applied to the facial scan.

The virtual tryin is observed and presented to the patient for viewing.

The base is tried in along with the sectins of teeth that were custom milled from Vita.

Light cure sections to base and add lightcure pink to finish acrylic.

Lightcure or microwave denture

Finished

I don't think they are ready to take it that far yet. First off, any denture tech will tell you it will be nearly impossible for a machine to set the teeth right.....at least not until they can get machines to think for themselves.
Secondly, block teeth, milled or not are really ugly. Years ago block teeth were supposed to put denture techs out of business as the dentists would be making their own..... Light cure has a ways to go but I'm they first one on that wagon when they perfect it. I'm talking about a convienence for denture techs, sort of like having a stamp machine so you don't have to go to the post office.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The tech sets the individual teeth virtually.Once the steup is viewed with the facial scan the order is sent to the manufacturer where the individual denture teeth are either milled or sla'd or whatever.They are then fixed in sections or milled in sections.1x6 and 2 1x4's.They would have guides included to orientate the sections to the base so intraoral or lab setup is established with light cure.

Milling your own denture teeth would be more of a pain than ordering the cards.No advantage in my opinion

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

LOL,,, very funny flip

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
LOL,,, very funny flip

No, funny is Scott sitting at home using that breast pump on himself ;-)

I forgot to add I want the teeth to be presized so I don't have to trim ridglaps anymore and have mechanical retention drilled in so I can also use on flexibles (and lightcure).

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
heck, do it all from an MRI (better soft tissue than CT and no radiation). Go straight to pt. mouth by printing in two materials. You can get decent bone segmentation from MRI (enough to be better than a semi adjustable articulator and to locate the ridge). It would decrease chair/appointment time, decrease lab time meaning even with the MRI, you might even be able to keep the cost in a reasonably competitive range (maybe) and keep it profitable for dentist and lab.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
No, funny is Scott sitting at home using that breast pump on himself ;-)

Well for one he probably not using it for his bresteses, but south of the border; I hear those cannuks have strange habits. :D

I forgot to add I want the teeth to be presized so I don't have to trim ridglaps anymore and have mechanical retention drilled in so I can also use on flexibles (and lightcure).[/QUOTE]

Some of that is being done already, using actual dental teeth,; especially for implants.

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a NM anatomy library available for purchase?