An attempt was made to cast...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
using a 3dprinted mould (not 3d printed part)

1j2nqneo8mrz.jpg

(source: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting...pt_was_made_at_metal_casting_using_a/dobewxi/ )

obvious drawbacks are poor matching of clamshells, reaction to metals at higher temperature, and complex geometries still not supported.

suggestions to improve: printing clay or ultradense resin at obviously half or a third of the current layer size, proper silicon mould lube/release agent, clamping clamshells tightly together.

Last edited:
G

grantoz

Reaction score
you can use a spud to force gold into a mold for small inlays i saw my old boss do it 35 years ago when i was a newbie .he put half a spud on the molten gold alloy sitting on top of the ring then put the spud on sliced open side down. the steam pushed the gold into the ring it worked really well. it was a very small intaproximal inlay.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
you can use a spud to force gold into a mold for small inlays i saw my old boss do it 35 years ago when i was a newbie .he put half a spud on the molten gold alloy sitting on top of the ring then put the spud on sliced open side down. the steam pushed the gold into the ring it worked really well. it was a very small intaproximal inlay.
Wow !!! Is there nothing that Dog can't do ?
spuds_mackenzie.jpg

G

GarryB

Reaction score

When my dad started in the business they would cast gold inlays using a Salbrig press (Bucket and chain for full cast crowns). This entailed melting the gold onto the casting ring and pressing wet Asbestos over the top using the steam to create the casting pressure.......I much prefer the potato method though.

Top Bottom