Advice for restoring anteriors with dark underlying dentition??

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
We've had multiple cases like this recently. What do you guys do if PFM isn't an option? IMG_1490.jpg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
LT Emax ingot should work just fine.

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
There are two trains of thought with covering dark stump shades: one school says mask it and layer.. the other says if you mask it can cast shadows and you and you are fighting to get a vital look, they prefer using porcelains that can even be fairly translucent, with a lot of fluorescence which creates a a vital look. Don Cornell wrote great article on this many years ago, he restored a case covering heavy tetracylcline stains with Creation porcelain, I think he used HT powders and incisals it looked beautiful. He is a talented guy.

In e.max you could do the same idea, with this reduction I think an a MO ingot would be sufficient and then layer it.

Good luck, I'll be interested in others take on this

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
I was going to say maybe even an LT ingot...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
LT emax at 7-8/10ths thick on the ging. 1/2. I've tried MO ingots but I never could get the staining the way I like it, and try to stay with the LTs as much as possible with these type of cases. Any darker, with thinner labial room, would go with the MOs.

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Hm. Does no one use Zirconia to mask? I like the idea of making a lighter coping then building in stages while always checking the shade.

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
Hm. Does no one use Zirconia to mask? I like the idea of making a lighter coping then building in stages while always checking the shade.

We use zirconia for spans that go beyond what can do in e.max. We have 3 Shape so I scan and send them to Argen, I like their Esthetic Zirconia frameworks, then we either zirpress and layer as necessary, the ingots we use are HT and LT. Layering would work also.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it look like they are missing a lateral. #7 looks like a canine. Lt should work great.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
emax doesnt mask like zirc we use zirc and a lot of fluro it is far more predictable.

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
If you dont want to use zirconia, we use emax LT, or for really dark cores H01 really masks out those tricky ones .

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it look like they are missing a lateral. #7 looks like a canine. Lt should work great.

It does look like a canine. It's actually just a chipped lateral. There's another pic that shows the canine better.

Three different people are going to do this case, including me. Just for fun. I don't work with Emax much so I think I'm gonna do a really light Zi coping and then fluo stain it to neutralize the color of the underlying preps.

user name

user name

Reaction score
If room is limited and you need to keep the Zr thin, you can mask effectively with some Shofu Vintage opaque liner. It can be feathered out so you just mask what needs it and blend into the rest of the coping.