Abutment question (Astra Tech Cast-to)

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have another question regarding an older implant platform...

I received, from my client, the abutment shown below as the only available option to restore the case. Has anybody worked with it? Is it 'really' Cast-to? Any compatibility with something else?

As usual, many thanks in advance!

Michael

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have another question regarding an older implant platform...

I received, from my client, the abutment shown below as the only available option to restore the case. Has anybody worked with it? Is it 'really' Cast-to? Any compatibility with something else?

As usual, many thanks in advance!

Michael

View attachment 25653
http://shop.dentsplyimplants.fi/Main.aspx?Item=164980&navt=93760&navl=94559&nava=94563&pg=24
This is the only reference I can find for it. I've never seen a cast-to that didn't have a waxing sleeve...?

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
Osseospeed. Nothing is 100% compatible. If you are in the usa I have astra aqua and lilac parts. A cast to will either be a plastic and gold (ucla gold adapt) or all plastic or chrome cobalt and there are some companies who make a cast to with titanium base. What part are you ideally looking for and you can email me at [email protected] to assist you further.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Was that box sealed? Looks like a temp abutment to me and not a UCLA

That was my first though, too!

Its sealed, though. A google search brought reference to a Dentsply website in Norway, but no additional info... And, I agree on the cost for a Cast-to abutment of this size...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You found the Finnish website and I found reference on a Norwegian... ;) Maybe it is a Scandinavian thing...
No idea. I worked with a Swedish trained guy, and never heard of such a doohicky either. Could just be we never touched on needing to discuss them. I'm with John though, what in the world did that cost if it's non-oxidizing? They have in the catalog I put in the other link cast to options that are "normal".
Lead on McDuff.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
This abutment was once upon a time sold under the trademark name "American Abutment" by Astra. Yes, the whole thing is cast on metal

Thank you! Well then, I will crack it open and give it a try.

Thanks!

Michael

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Thank you! Well then, I will crack it open and give it a try.

Thanks!

Michael
You could also consider scanning it & fabricate a Zirconia crown then bond[emoji4]

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
You could also consider scanning it & fabricate a Zirconia crown then bond[emoji4]

In this case not :cool:, it is part of a three unit anterior prosthesis. The other abutment is of newer date.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In this case not :cool:, it is part of a three unit anterior prosthesis. The other abutment is of newer date.
Anterior! o_O
Would you please share pics of the completed restoration if you have time?
I'd love to see how you decide to hide that massive hunk of metal behind a negligable allowance of anatomic thickness.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Anterior! o_O
Would you please share pics of the completed restoration if you have time?
I'd love to see how you decide to hide that massive hunk of metal behind a negligable allowance of anatomic thickness.

It will be fine. The implant is rather deep and we have enough room to play with. I will snap a few pics, as I progress.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
So this is full platinum?
Wow!
LCM

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Tha magic ingredient in ucla alloys is often iridium that keeps the alloy from oxidizing

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
We used to do these all the time. Just make sure you are using a Nobel metal to cast. No biggie, You could still do a custom abutment and return it.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Since it looked like a temporary cylinder and there is no real info available, I was hesitating to open the box, just like that...

I did a custom cast post with it. Worked well. I used a yellow gold alloy. It is big, though... As you can see, the screw is enormous! Will try to take a couple images before the case leaves the lab.

Top Bottom