Abutment fun

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Here is todays abutment production its been like this for weeks now I am loving it!
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_abutments.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
OK milling center guys at 50 to 80 abutments a week can I make that imes i-750 mill be a cost effective solution over 3rd party milling? Slap in another 100 units of FCZ?

Itching to do end of year shopping to rescue me from uncle Sam's wrath.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
I have only seen pictures of imes i-750, and never watched it mill titanium but I know from my expericance milling it it takes a quite a machine to mill titanium, I'm sure it can mill it a just have to wonder how efficient and the quallity that a smaller mill would offer. Don't forget the milling software needed to support abutment, and depending what you have for desing software what it takes to mill your own abutment. Were get a flat rate of $95 for milled abutment. We also have a full package of Delcam, including the original manufacuring package and design of the software and use on a daily basis to mill abutment,

Don't want to scare people from milling, just make sure it check into everything before pricine. Milling is what i come from. Good luck

this is my little toy
dmg mill.JPG

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That thing is pure sex Arnie!

The icore is very similar machine.

Same basic moving parts...

Heidenhein 1uM Glass scales....Heavy-duty Granite base frame....Linear drives in all axis...80,000 2.5HP spindle....

A

arnie16403

Reaction score

you done your research, some time you need to come north and play, and bring your sum 3d

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you milled in titan bar whith IMES and DMG or only titan disk ?

With Mikron, we can do that ...

I know a little DMG machine, there is one in France (just one !),near Lyon , That's ZFX company , a German company ..

Do you know that arnie ?

The bar is great for abutments because it uses a single support on the titan bar and the milling is full .

John, can you show us the works after milling , the details of connection ...

Thank you very much ! ailliweb.com_fa_i_smiles_icon_biggrin.png
ailliweb.com_fa_i_smiles_icon_biggrin.png

Last edited:
Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
Here is todays abutment production its been like this for weeks now I am loving it!

Look at you Johny boy.....that's a nice amount of implant work for one day:) And always remember when working with those vertex articulators....when there's no posterior stops on the distal with natural dentition, you need to use a metal articulator:)

Last edited:
disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Look at you Johny boy.....that's a nice amount of implant work for one day:) And always remember when working with those vertex articulators....when there's no posterior stops on the distal with natural dentition, you need to use a metal articulator:)

:clap2:

metal occlusal stops on the distal also a good idea IMO.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm sure John will be taking these out of occlusion so not to worry.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Love it guys!!

The majority of these cases are for an oral surgeon, we make the custom abutment and a temp crown and a master die for the referring GP.

This way when the definitive restoration is done its simple crown and bridge imp.

Oh and for the record when the REAL crown comes back its put on a REAL articulator, or at least one with a stop :)

And Rob just for my own fun how many of your implant crowns are in occlusion on your models? Watch out trick question:)

Last edited:
H

Hal2a

Reaction score
No posterior stops and yet the Dentist still decided on a quad tray? Stick with the vertex and remind your client about ( pronounced "aboot") the benefits of a full arch impression and the stability it provides.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
John, what is your procedure for making the master die? I am trying to get an oral surgeon to allow me to do something like what you described.

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
I love those Dentist's that want everything 3 tapes out of occlusion, and they don't want any function, or to adjust anything, and everything behind the lips fits:p Then again, I got guys send in triple trays for a bridge say 2-6 with 7 being natural and the only tooth for the bite... and they expect the occlusion to be perfect.....there is sum Dentist's that are sum dumb ass fockers out there:D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Love it guys!!

The majority of these cases are for an oral surgeon, we make the custom abutment and a temp crown and a master die for the referring GP.

This way when the definitive restoration is done its simple crown and bridge imp.

Oh and for the record when the REAL crown comes back its put on a REAL articulator, or at least one with a stop :)

And Rick just for my own fun how many of your implant crowns are in occlusion on your models? Watch out trick question:)

I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I take every implant out of occlusion by about .3mm to .5mm if I can.

..and it's Rob by the way.

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you milled in titan bar whith IMES and DMG or only titan disk ?

With Mikron, we can do that ...

I know a little DMG machine, there is one in France (just one !),near Lyon , That's ZFX company , a German company ..

Do you know that arnie ?

The bar is great for abutments because it uses a single support on the titan bar and the milling is full .

John, can you show us the works after milling , the details of connection ...

Thank you very much ! ailliweb.com_fa_i_smiles_icon_biggrin.png

I think ZFK is italian but machine they selling DMG Sauer 20liner is german. Beautiful machines.
ailliweb.com_fa_i_smiles_icon_biggrin.png

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
I have only seen pictures of imes i-750, and never watched it mill titanium but I know from my expericance milling it it takes a quite a machine to mill titanium, I'm sure it can mill it a just have to wonder how efficient and the quallity that a smaller mill would offer. Don't forget the milling software needed to support abutment, and depending what you have for desing software what it takes to mill your own abutment. Were get a flat rate of $95 for milled abutment. We also have a full package of Delcam, including the original manufacuring package and design of the software and use on a daily basis to mill abutment,

Don't want to scare people from milling, just make sure it check into everything before pricine. Milling is what i come from. Good luck

this is my little toy

How much is one of these bad boys? It looks like a beast....I send so much to Atlantis on a weekly basis...it might be wise in the future to do my abutments in house. The whole Dentsply buying them out weighs heavily on me also:( The maintenace and upkeep has to be taken into consideration also....any thoughts????

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Shaun, I do about 17 abutments/month with Atlantis. Their company has been great for me and my lab...that was before Dentsply bought them. Since they took over, I have had ZERO visits from a sales rep from Atlantis. My old rep got "promoted"(that is what I was told) and my contact now is his boss. I have inquire a few times about who my new sales rep was, but have so far not gotten an answer. Their product is still great, but I am a bit worried about what will happen if I run into a problem. If it wasn't for their warranty and their support, I would look for a cheaper abutment option.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John, what is your procedure for making the master die? I am trying to get an oral surgeon to allow me to do something like what you described.

We have made little flasks out of 1/2 pvc cut to 1 inch length, we fill with putty and then bur out a recess, we then use light body impression material after afixing an analog to the abutment we use wax to block out the hole and then immerse it in the light body. When it sets we pour it in Fuji rock and stick a straight brass pin in it.

Comes out perfect and it uses very little impression material, actually more gets wasted in the mixing tip.

Now that we are using Zhermacks silicone duplicating machine I am going to try and rig some old base formers with analogs and use it.

Anyhow its a slick way to make the master die.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I take every implant out of occlusion by about .3mm to .5mm if I can.

..and it's Rob by the way.

Sorry Rob not sure why I called you Rick.

Thought you were just bustin balls like Shaun was :)

Anyhow I am so torn on investing in a machine that I am not 100% certain will manufacture an abutment to the the same standards of the ones we are outsourcing now to nobel.

I really want to take another trip back to NJ to see if I can get a bit more info on their machines and to see if the parts I get are actually touched up by humans or if they come right off the mill and into the tube that I receive. When I went their for my Procera training their was a nice tour of the older mills and Zi production but I was not allowed in to see the new 5 axis mills in the secret room :)