Abutment fee.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I had a Dr. call the other day complaining about my milled abutment fee. And how I'm getting them milled for $125...etc.. I charge $275 for the generic NT abutment milled at a popular milling center. I explained to him I have scanner to pay for , licensing fees, etc. My question is , am I in the ballpark? too much , to little? He does make his own tissue model 90% of the time. Thanks

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
That fee is fine. Tell him to buy the digital equipment and do it himself if he wants it cheaper.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I charge $300, no matter if its custom, modified stock, screw retained, hybrid.

Its not negotiable.

I don't need to justify it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We all have to pay the bills to keep the lights on in our ballparks.

Your fees , as you say, cover your costs and hopefully provide you with a modest profit at the least.

There is nothing more to discuss. I'm at the point where worrying about what the other guy charges is pointless.

Stand your ground.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
J

John C

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I had a rep. from a certain aftermarket implant company tell me I was charging too much. He told me labs are charging $200. for ti custom abutment and fcz crown package.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Lowest on Ti NT Trading from Argen is 275.00 up to 300.00 depending on the client then for Zr 350-375 some clients are 295 for Screw retained, ti bases from glidewell or if they provide the ti base like one of my doc do from MIS. I also charge some doc 25 for cementation on a stock abutment with a screw access hole in the crown. It is their part to cement it in the mouth but some want me to do it on the model so all they have to do is place it in the mouth. No problem pay me for it, simple as that, but no charge if it is on a Ti base. But if I have to do a Straumann or Nobel price is higher. The Cost is on a OE is starting near 200.00 but Atlantis has everyone beat at mid 200 for a ti abutment my cost. LOL what a joke.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the question, sndmn2. I liked hearing the fees and responses from our other friends. It was also useful and helpful for me. I think I'm a little under priced.

Last edited:
R

RJS8669

Reaction score
The audacity of some dentists never ceases to amaze me. Recently did a case for the spouse of a friend. PFZ splint with pink ceramic at the gingival. Charged 1/2 my normal fee. Sh*Thead dentist gave her an $8 per unit discount stating that was the difference between my discounted fee and what he normally pays his regular lab - meaning his fee dropped from $1374 per unit to $1366. So my friend saved a whopping $64 on a $10992 for 8 units, four of which were pontics that the sh*thead didn't even have to prep. Grrrrrr....

As for abutment fees - mine are all over the place because I just apply a standard markup % to my costs based on the fee I'm charged by the varyous manufacturers. Your fee is pretty much my average...

BTW - anyone else see Sun Dental Labs recent special? $149 for a milled abutment and FCZ. Crazy...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's where I'm at too, a % mark up for the implant depending on what I paid. I also charge a implant labor fee for each implant.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I charge labs 139.00 for custom abutments. I take a little loss there. Bur hey they need to make too no.

Now on analogs I mark up 30% from invoice total with shipping, I charge 49.00 for prepping of stock abutments, 39.00 for soft tissue per arch no matter the unit count. We just are in the middle of sealing a deal with a big dental group and and I was able to beat their current price without going under my current low prices on abutments.

For me I would rather do custom abutments on every case so that there is maximum abutment support rather than a dinky post for a giant molar. Some cases require screw retained then we go that route.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
You should charge more when they request authentic components too!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Pricing threads are not really productive in my opinion.

Not because I do not see value in them but because the wrong questions are always discussed.

The only thing you should be concerned with is

1) If I sell this "widget" for X dollars what is my profit margin on the appliance?
2) If I sell this "widget" for X dollars and make my desired profit margin will I continue to sell them?

IF you can answer honestly and you actually know your costs than everything others do means nothing as you do not know their business model.

Implant restorations are the absolute reason why I am still in business. I charge these restorations differently than my tooth born restorations not because my costs are higher but because they take a greater skill set to restore them appropriately. If a client is sending me work but questioning pricing often times its just for clarity and not so much to try and beat me down on price. I do not have to debate fees anymore because I know my value to the team. What I continue to strive for is communication and thats why any multiple unit restoration that comes into my lab will get a full invoice showing multiple ways to restore the case and the client chooses the path. This OPTION allows them to be in control of the GOOD BETTER BEST treatment costs.

This has allowed me to not have the "Glidewell sells for this price" discussion. If it ever comes up I always say the same thing, "there is a reason why you are sending to me rather than Glidewell"

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

Not because I do not see value in them but because the wrong questions are always discussed.

1) If I sell this "widget" for X dollars what is my profit margin on the appliance?
2) If I sell this "widget" for X dollars and make my desired profit margin will I continue to sell them?

IF you can answer honestly and you actually know your costs than everything others do means nothing as you do not know their business model.

Implant restorations are the absolute reason why I am still in business. I charge these restorations differently than my tooth born restorations not because my costs are higher but because they take a greater skill set to restore them appropriately. If a client is sending me work but questioning pricing often times its just for clarity and not so much to try and beat me down on price. I do not have to debate fees anymore because I know my value to the team. What I continue to strive for is communication and thats why any multiple unit restoration that comes into my lab will get a full invoice showing multiple ways to restore the case and the client chooses the path. This OPTION allows them to be in control of the GOOD BETTER BEST treatment costs.

This has allowed me to not have the "Glidewell sells for this price" discussion. If it ever comes up I always say the same thing, "there is a reason why you are sending to me rather than Glidewell"
Solid.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Dear John -

You're second question -if I'm understanding it correctly - does, in fact, bring up the question of the competition's fee structures. If my desired "costs-plus" fee is prohibitively expensive vis-a-vis the competition, than I won't sell very many widgets, if any. For the vast majority of us - we can't develop our pricing in a vacuum.

Also, I'm confused by your statement about the invoicing of multiple units. I get alternative treatment plans with varying fees based on the type of restorations chosen. Are you saying you actually provide dummy invoices for each alternative not chosen, as well as a real invoice for the selected path? That seems onerous to me given I've had discussions with accounts who have trouble deciding between eMax, eMax Multi, layered eMax, PFZ and a microlayered FCZ...

Beer

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score

When I grow up I want to be John W.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You're second question -if I'm understanding it correctly - does, in fact, bring up the question of the competition's fee structures. If my desired "costs-plus" fee is prohibitively expensive vis-a-vis the competition, than I won't sell very many widgets, if any. For the vast majority of us - we can't develop our pricing in a vacuum.

What I am saying is if you can not produce a product and hit your target profit margin than you need to look for alternatives. Not every lab can be competitive and if so you should not be offering this service. This is the part that most do not understand. If you get a hawley retainer in your fixed lab and it takes you 3 hours to bend the crib, why would you ever offer that appliance? Specialize in the products you can do EFFECTIVELY and different than your competition and your fees can be justified. If you are marketing to the broadest demographic and not doing something substantially different than your competition how can you justify a higher fee?

Also, I'm confused by your statement about the invoicing of multiple units. I get alternative treatment plans with varying fees based on the type of restorations chosen. Are you saying you actually provide dummy invoices for each alternative not chosen, as well as a real invoice for the selected path? That seems onerous to me given I've had discussions with accounts who have trouble deciding between eMax, eMax Multi, layered eMax, PFZ and a microlayered FCZ...

I send an invoice with different modalities, screw retained, cement retained on custom abutments, and cement retained on stock parts. I have macros set up to allow fast invoicing. Confusing or not it allows the client to make the dollar amount choice and makes me look like a hero offering alternatives rather than the money grubbing lab looking to screw the client. As discussed in a prior thread we also send a form letter to have the client sigh to streamline some of this as it relates to brand specific parts verses 3rd party parts as well.