A "reassuring" letter from Straumann

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I love the cross sectioned pic of the all zirconia bone level abutment.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Tomorrow night our lab and straumann will be getting together and serving dinner/coctails while talking to docs. I don't have to do any public speaking this time. The lab owner, the doctor, will be handling that part. It's good, cause I didn't exactly enjoy it last time. But I still gota bring a nice change of dress clothes in and change in the bathroom, a pain, and show myself.
It's funny when straumann reps speak, no one listens. Not a knock on the reps, just that people genuinely aren't interested in sales pitches. But it's nice when everyone stops talking and gives me, a tech, or another doc their eyes and ears. It's satisfying.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been posted, but I found out that Straumann owns a part of Abutment Direct. The facility where the abutments are made is the same one Astra makes theirs.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been posted, but I found out that Straumann owns a part of Abutment Direct. The facility where the abutments are made is the same one Astra makes theirs.

Yes, those hypocrites bought part of a company that produces "look alike" components.

How will the Drs know they are getting the real thing? certainly won't be by price!:cool:

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Yes, those hypocrites bought part of a company that produces "look alike" components.

How will the Drs know they are getting the real thing? certainly won't be by price!:cool:
I guess if the Dr. Doesn't specify what implant company they want the parts from...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Straumann owns part of a company that makes clones of their own products?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
It's all getting too weird even for me.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
"It's all getting too weird even for me."

No kidding. Wonder if $traumann intends to sell the knock-offs, or to pull them out of the market?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't know about you Gru , but I find the AD knockoffs to be of better quality than the originals. Especially the ucla's.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Probably a less expensive product line. Attract business from the more price conscious labs and
"It's all getting too weird even for me."

No kidding. Wonder if $traumann intends to sell the knock-offs, or to pull them out of the market?
They must be planning on selling the products. There is no way trey will buy up all the competition and shut it down.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I started a thread a while ago about their use of warranty as a threat on using 3rd party parts . they didn't get their heads around that the dentist just didn't want to pay for genuine and then they began bad mouthing my lab .this was after me recommending them to my clients for years I have even given talks on how to restore on their implants on their behalf because people were having trouble dealing with tissue level implants aesthetically . The stuff im reading in this thread is typical of the way they do business around the world the states Europe Australia its doesn't mater and should serve as a warning on how they do things other companies I believe do things better and to read they own part of a 3rd party business confirms my views.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Sorry all, time for an early a.m. ramble...

It's hard to believe this ill-crafted letter ever passed executive scrutiny which would allow it to be distributed.

Let's just say the prospects of continued employment or of future employment "opportunities" would be significantly reduced to the person responsible for crafting and distributing such a letter in my organization.

Straumann pretty much says it all in the very first sentence and the fourth paragraph. Everything else is pretty much an abstraction. It seems to me this letter has done everyone a "favor" (riiiiight) by clearly announcing their intent:
  • Goal: When dentists choose a Straumann implant, provide a Straumann restoration on that implant.
  • Strategy: Provide COMPLETE implant and RESTORATIVE SOLUTIONS to dentists and their patients.
  • Tactic: Work more closely with dentists on "simple" cases
This is déjà vu all over again.

We experienced something very similar to this related to Chrysler that originated back in the early 90's. Chrysler decided that the only way they could be assured their products met their design specification was to mandate the use of Catia software to their supplier base in the design and manufacture of components used in the production of their automobiles.

This meant their tier 1 suppliers such as custom molders, custom stampers and large tool & die manufacturers (read large labs and milling centers) and tier 2 suppliers consisting of smaller product design companies , tool & die manufacturers and discrete part manufactures (read small labs and milling centers) had to disband the use of their current CAD/CAM systems, purchase and become proficient in the use of the replacement "solutions" from Catia IF they wanted to receive or continue to receive work from Chrysler Motor Corporation.

It did not matter to Chrysler that this software was not competitive in terms of price, cost of ownership, functionality or ease of use. They went as far as working with the software publisher to create special "packages" to sell to their supplier base at a reduced price to assure adherence to this mandate.

It took many years of late deliveries and organized rebellion by the supplier base (which I took part in) for Chrysler to finally see the error of their ways and relax their restriction/mandate but the "Camels nose was in the tent".

It appears to me Straumann has taken a page from Chrysler's strategic planning manual and decided they and only they can control the quality of the final restoration and have taken the initial steps to accomplish that goal. Increasing their share in Dental Wings and indicating their commitment to the application of digital technologies "to improve the efficiency of the restorative work-flow and quality of the final restoration"

Since as they say "cost, access and efficiencies drive change" you can bet one of the changes will be in the definition of "simple cases".

It will be interesting to see exactly how this plan or associated programs will be marketed to the doctors. It will also be interesting to see what the price, quality and delivery lead-times of these "solutions" and restorations will be.

It seems to me, Labs and Milling Centers banding together in terms of marketing (or counter-marketing) to doctors, recommendations etc., leveraging and strengthening existing relationships and providing greater value through the combination and balance of quality, price, delivery and service will be the key. Pretty much a common-sense strategy that has been proven successful.

Indeed, "Straumann's digital strategy has advanced to a new level" (or is that new low?).

You can bet other implant manufacturers will be watching...

As local Rocker Ted Nugent would say: "Kocked, locked and ready to rock"...Game on!

IMHO of course...

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Sorry all, time for an early a.m. ramble...

It's hard to believe this ill-crafted letter ever passed executive scrutiny which would allow it to be distributed.

Let's just say the prospects of continued employment or of future employment "opportunities" would be significantly reduced to the person responsible for crafting and distributing such a letter in my organization.

Straumann pretty much says it all in the very first sentence and the fourth paragraph. Everything else is pretty much an abstraction. It seems to me this letter has done everyone a "favor" (riiiiight) by clearly announcing their intent:
  • Goal: When dentists choose a Straumann implant, provide a Straumann restoration on that implant.
  • Strategy: Provide COMPLETE implant and RESTORATIVE SOLUTIONS to dentists and their patients.
  • Tactic: Work more closely with dentists on "simple" cases
This is déjà vu all over again.

We experienced something very similar to this related to Chrysler that originated back in the early 90's. Chrysler decided that the only way they could be assured their products met their design specification was to mandate the use of Catia software to their supplier base in the design and manufacture of components used in the production of their automobiles.

This meant their tier 1 suppliers such as custom molders, custom stampers and large tool & die manufacturers (read large labs and milling centers) and tier 2 suppliers consisting of smaller product design companies , tool & die manufacturers and discrete part manufactures (read small labs and milling centers) had to disband the use of their current CAD/CAM systems, purchase and become proficient in the use of the replacement "solutions" from Catia IF they wanted to receive or continue to receive work from Chrysler Motor Corporation.

It did not matter to Chrysler that this software was not competitive in terms of price, cost of ownership, functionality or ease of use. They went as far as working with the software publisher to create special "packages" to sell to their supplier base at a reduced price to assure adherence to this mandate.

It took many years of late deliveries and organized rebellion by the supplier base (which I took part in) for Chrysler to finally see the error of their ways and relax their restriction/mandate but the "Camels nose was in the tent".

It appears to me Straumann has taken a page from Chrysler's strategic planning manual and decided they and only they can control the quality of the final restoration and have taken the initial steps to accomplish that goal. Increasing their share in Dental Wings and indicating their commitment to the application of digital technologies "to improve the efficiency of the restorative work-flow and quality of the final restoration"

Since as they say "cost, access and efficiencies drive change" you can bet one of the changes will be in the definition of "simple cases".

It will be interesting to see exactly how this plan or associated programs will be marketed to the doctors. It will also be interesting to see what the price, quality and delivery lead-times of these "solutions" and restorations will be.

It seems to me, Labs and Milling Centers banding together in terms of marketing (or counter-marketing) to doctors, recommendations etc., leveraging and strengthening existing relationships and providing greater value through the combination and balance of quality, price, delivery and service will be the key. Pretty much a common-sense strategy that has been proven successful.

Indeed, "Straumann's digital strategy has advanced to a new level" (or is that new low?).

You can bet other implant manufacturers will be watching...

As local Rocker Ted Nugent would say: "Kocked, locked and ready to rock"...Game on!

IMHO of course...
Great post. Sounds a lot like Cerec as well....

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Perhaps there's a reason you can buy their scanner on ebay for less than the license fee!
Funny thing though, the scanner is accurate, the tech support outstanding.
The company and software (DW) exactly the opposite. Go figure.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
This is actually really relevant to an article I'm writing at the moment:)
The inability of customer service to fulfill an order without rote recitation of exact part # puts them real high on my s**t list.
A basic understanding of the catalogue would be nice.
Note to reps: if I already had mastery of your system, I wouldn't be talking to you.
Otherwise you're blocking the hallway...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The inability of customer service to fulfill an order without rote recitation of exact part # puts them real high on my s**t list.
A basic understanding of the catalogue would be nice.
Note to reps: if I already had mastery of your system, I wouldn't be talking to you.
Otherwise you're blocking the hallway...
Back when I worked on office equip there was a supplier that charged 10-12% more than anyone else, but everyone else wanted part numbers. Could call them up and say you needed the gear for a xyz brand fax machine, as facing front on the right of the platen, they'd ask if it was a 2 tier gear, etc, and send you exactly what you needed. They were loved by all, and nobody ever complained about the price.

Any sales reps reading this, might be worth showing the boss.

Top Bottom