a bar. Nothing more, nothing less.....

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Three locators will be laser welded to the top of structure. (wider areas obviously)

We offered to mill some holes and tap, but they already own a laser-welder.

Customer wanted bar .5mm off the ridge and smoothed on bottom.

We kinda just followed orders and drawings. (more or less)

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_bar4_zps8a47936e.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_barone_zps45797dfa.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_bar2_zps82d45553.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_bar3_zpsc75432c9.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_bar4_zps8a47936e.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_barone_zps45797dfa.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_bar2_zps82d45553.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_bar3_zpsc75432c9.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Take some pictures before you remove it from the blank and then after you finish it I want to see surface finish out of the mill.

Cool pictures

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Final Finishing was with a 1.5mm Ball @ 0.05 or 0.04mm step (I forget)

I can raise the tool diameter to 2mm, and/or decrease the step to improve the surface finish.

One takes longer to mill, and the other does not follow tight radii as well, being larger.

Everything is a trade-off I guess? If you want to see mirror finish right off the mill, then it would be a special project, and not really done in production environment in my world.

It is much faster to finish by hand the remaining marks on surface.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Wow Scott you have really got that bad boy milling unit of yours tuned in. I have seen a lot of mills and have never seen metal milled so smooth. Really does look fantastic.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you kind sir for lying. We have room to improve and I am 1/2 mental from all the challanges we have had to over come recentyl.

Oh, customer is going to laser-weld on some locators.

We did not do a magnificent polishing job, and really do not advertise that we fully-polish anyways.

I was just curious myself how hard it was to bring to a shine.

I only used a single rubber wheel and a Robinson brush with Mothers™ Mag and Aluminum Polish.

5 Min spit-shine?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe we beef it up a little before milling?

Change some angles here and there, no?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Looks pretty damn good, do you have to heat treat it in anyway? Its a shame to laser weld locator attachments on a nice bar, wish the guy would realize drilling and tapping is a way better solution.

I know you have been going through some shiit latley, glad it seems that your project is moving in the right direction.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Nice finish right out of the mill. One suggestion, the tissue side of the bar should be convex and concavities should be avoided for better hygiene.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
That looks awesome Scott !!

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Congrats mate, It's looking good.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
OK, now we are getting fancy-schmancy.......

concave on bottom?, yes. It was by request of very famous prosthodontist.

He actually runs his own Haas, but asked me to do these for him.Maxillary is milling now....almost finished.....5-axis is almost not enough! I think total milling time for Maxillary will be over Twelve Hours! Roughing was nearly Four and a half hours. Then lots and lots of 5-axis pre-finishing and finishing.

Many thanks to exocad, Haas, Jeffreys MFG, CIMSystem, Emuge tooling, Medit scanners, Steinbichler, DDG Z-Tech, Supra Alloys, etc....

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_barbara_zpsbbdd0e3b.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_barbara_zpsbbdd0e3b.jpg

Last edited:
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Nice finish right out of the mill. One suggestion, the tissue side of the bar should be convex and concavities should be avoided for better hygiene.

I hear ya Jo. But, people smarter than I may argure with you on many cases about that.

Please, I did not come up with this idea myself for that last case, or this new One. Just following orders from "the Man".

When a famous Prosthodontist, that ownes his own Haas and radical Implant Center tells me to do this, then....I must.

He also mills his own Dentures in house!

Dr. Stephen Schmitt in TX. Stephen has milled over 200 bars in his own facility.

You can go tell him yourself. LOL

Let me how that works out for ya.

Here are some of his publications.... http://schmittdds.com/dr_stephen_schmitt_publications.html

This guy is now Rocking exocad and loving it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom