5 years ago

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Been through 3 spindles in that time, not bad for milling emax. Haven't changed one in 3 years, knock wood.
Impressive. I had erroneously expected them as substandard for lab use because of them being dds clinic kit. Thanks for straightening me out. Do you use their desiign software too, or can it be driven straight from exo?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Impressive. I had erroneously expected them as substandard for lab use because of them being dds clinic kit. Thanks for straightening me out. Do you use their desiign software too, or can it be driven straight from exo?
I would guess Exocad for sure JMN, E4D had some meat tools but Exocad has most covered. Let 2th explain though...

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
7 year old E4D mill.
Are you using an E4D acquisition unit with it, or a different scanner? I've used an E4D mill ,one of my client's, in the past with his acquisition unit and it worked out okay.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Are you using an E4D acquisition unit with it, or a different scanner? I've used an E4D mill ,one of my client's, in the past with his acquisition unit and it worked out okay.
Yes we have used the old HD scanner and the new PlanScan, but also use Steinbichler and DOF scanners and design everything in exocad. I have a utility software to send the stl files to the mill. I don't think they offer that utility anymore because you can import stl files into their software to use the milling simulation.

That mill has been great. It took a bit to dial in the margin settings. There are some photos posted here somewhere of the margins it can produce on a solid model.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Their design software is quite genius for the intended users. It is super simple and guides you through the process step by step. It is what I used to get a basic understanding of CAD design and how the process works. I use exocad for 99.9% of all designs. Way less mouse clicks and much more flexibility. I will say that the E4D design software has been improved with each version. I'm sure it has abilities that I am not aware of.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Forgot to update this thread with the results.

The proximal contacts were slightly adjusted with a rubber point. The occlusion on the other hand had to be slightly reduced. I was in for the appointment. This guy is a bruxer and had milled wear facets in the emax crowns. You could see his evidence of the paths. They were polished smooth. o_O

Made another milled anterior deprogrammer and encouraged them to wear it.

J

Joshue

Reaction score
Their design software is quite genius for the intended users. It is super simple and guides you through the process step by step. It is what I used to get a basic understanding of CAD design and how the process works. I use exocad for 99.9% of all designs. Way less mouse clicks and much more flexibility. I will say that the E4D design software has been improved with each version. I'm sure it has abilities that I am not aware
Yes we have used the old HD scanner and the new PlanScan, but also use Steinbichler and DOF scanners and design everything in exocad. I have a utility software to send the stl files to the mill. I don't think they offer that utility anymore because you can import stl files into their software to use the milling simulation.

That mill has been great. It took a bit to dial in the margin settings. There are some photos posted here somewhere of the margins it can produce on a solid model
Did you still using your e4D milling to mill your Exocad design? I have a milling that I haven’t use it at all since a long time because I don’t know how to send the STL files to the milling can you help me with that I would like to use that milling to mill emax

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Did you still using your e4D milling to mill your Exocad design? I have a milling that I haven’t use it at all since a long time because I don’t know how to send the STL files to the milling can you help me with that I would like to use that milling to mill emax
You need a PC with CAM software that tells the mill how to move, at what speed, what depth, angle, rotation speed of the burr etc.
The CAM software will need to be made for that machine, not just any will do. IT's usualy not a problem, but make sure it's meant to work on that machine.

The 'CAM PC' is given the designs in STL format from exocad and then you put them in the place you want them in the block and then it generates the mill's needed data.

Fair warning: tahre are more people who dislike that madchine thatn who like it.

J

Joshue

Reaction score
You need a PC with CAM software that tells the mill how to move, at what speed, what depth, angle, rotation speed of the burr etc.
The CAM software will need to be made for that machine, not just any will do. IT's usualy not a problem, but make sure it's meant to work on that machine.

The 'CAM PC' is given the designs in STL format from exocad and then you put them in the place you want them in the block and then it generates the mill's needed data.

Fair warning: tahre are more people who dislike that madchine thatn who like it.
What CAM software did you recommend that works with E4D

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You need the E4D scanner/design software plus the job server to import and send CAD designs to that mill.
I can't remember the minimum software version, but I think it needs to be v5.0 to have the import function in the software.
There is/was a 'send to mill' utility software to manually send stl files to the job server for tool path calculation, but it is as rare as hen's teeth and does not function with newer software versions. If you locate an old version of that utility, be sure to get the license key that goes with it.