5-unit bridge

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Doing some research here for a dentist. Question...

33-37 Bridge. 34/36 = Pontics. Objective = longevity. If draw was not an issue, would you put a stress-breaker in? Why or why not?

I'm assuming yes, cause it couldn't hurt right, So the 33 doesn't pop off the abutment when biting.

Thanks as always :)

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I would be surprised if you had draw on the 37 to 33 with the preps to proper retentive form. Never hurts to split if the case sets up well. Just MHO

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I wouldn't put a stress breaker in unless it wouldn't draw or it was requested in the Rx.
I agree, definitely confer with the Dr...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Yeah, the Dr wanted me to investigate. We at case planning stage. I said I know a place where there are a bunch of geniuses in the Dental Lab field...So I came here last Laugh

Kidding,

Thanks everyone,
Sean

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Drs love the idea of stress breakers.. as a pt. I would want less crevices for food to hide...

doug

doug

Reaction score
Yeah, the Dr wanted me to investigate. We at case planning stage. I said I know a place where there are a bunch of geniuses in the Dental Lab field...So I came here last Laugh

Kidding,

Thanks everyone,
Sean

I like that he thinks enough of you, and your knowledge, to include you in the case planning process.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I wouldn't do a span this long without double abutting 32 and 33. Too much load for 1 abutment.

cipro

cipro

Reaction score
I would suggest to you to refer your Dr. to Shillingburg´s book and review the chapter ¨Treatment planning for the replacement of missing teeth".
Even though it is recommended to use stress breakers in cases of peer abutments, specially on cases where a questionable path of insertion but if a good retention and resistance form is achieved, is better and easier to splint the case.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Over the years I had more key-ways "break" then bridges break. Another thing to consider is the patient a clincher-grinder as that can play havoc on long span bridges

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky- 44 years, never had a dove tail break,(stress breaker).Yes, I've had them intrude, but that is it. P.S.- I don't mean to minimize intrusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

grantoz

Reaction score
The Germans do them if path of insertion is a problem and then they put glue in the stress broken joint so they dont hold germs so the stress breaker isnt really destressing anything it makes sense to me this approach.I think the whole it stops overloading is bit of feel good pub science .

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I like that he thinks enough of you, and your knowledge, to include you in the case planning process.
more like 'my other lab refused me, tell me how high you will jump for my business'

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
I'm confessing

Breaking keyways - operator error???

Historically my metal frameworks were cast from silver palladium metal, W-1, with Will-Ceram baked on it. None of those broke to the best of my memory. But, when I switched to d.Sign porcelain the boss wanted a higher gold content alloy, so I switched to Aquarius for single units and Aquarius Hard for multi-units. This is where my problems started. With the W1, I was using Sterngold's small Tube Lock keyways, and when I switched to Aquarius hard I didn't compensate for the fact it was a softer metal - didn't even think about it. So about five years later, we started having bridge failures, then it was knock your head against the wall moment. Once I switched to the BPD style attachments from Preat we haven't had any problem

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
After giving it some further thought, I rarely use prefab interlocks. I cut my own. Maybe that is why I've never had any problems. And yes maybe also the type of metals I use, could be a deciding factor.

doug

doug

Reaction score
When I've done a dovetail type connector, I always cast one part of the bridge first, then use pattern resin to make the other piece directly in to casting. Invest, cast, it fits perfectly, and finish.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I sometimes use pattern resin, but for me,the lock comes out cleaner and more precise when I use inlay wax. A little trickier, but I like the results better.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'd always looked at stress breakers as more of designing a failure recovery point on a poorly prepared and requested bridge than anything else. It will always be what breaks simply because it will likely be the weakest spot. This gets misinterpreted as 'see I told you it needed one'

If it will draw, I'd do it in one piece whenever possible.

Of course, it's not my fanny on the line for your case either.