4 powder Build up

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Al recently did this with Inline and it made me get off my @ss and do the same thing. Now this is d.Sign porcelain, but I built a bicuspid and molar. This is run-of-the-mill crowns that I had to do today. My building only takes about 5-10 minutes, so if this can be helpful good deal. Enjoy.

Bicuspid PICTURES OF ST

Molar PICTURES OF ST

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Nice write up Rob, the occ dentin modifier really can eliminate that "opaque, under reduced" crown look. If a doc takes the time to detail the occ shade it can really take an average crown and take it to the next level.

Again thanks for taking the time to write this up.

BTW do you use a build up liquid or just distilled water?

Smile line brushes are GREAT!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike and John........I use d.Sign Optimum 2 liquid for now, but I will be getting the New Brite liquid back in my hands soon. John you're correct about the occlusal shade taking, wish more Doctors did it.

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike and John........I use d.Sign Optimum 2 liquid for now, but I will be getting the New Brite liquid back in my hands soon. John you're correct about the occlusal shade taking, wish more Doctors did it.
Nice pics. I cant take very good pics with one hand of something Im holding in the other hand.

I like your opaque bond or wash bake. That would save alot of people problems.

What do you do put your build up liquid in? A little ceramic dish.

Can I make one suggestion??

Get a manicure. :D

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Nicely done...AND QUICK. I seem to dink around (pro'lly too much) and then I spend time ginding back.

I've always mixed porc/liq in a porcelain tray. Tonight I'm trying it the way you showed! You only have to hit me in the head a few times... in a row, for me to get it.

I need to get that brush. Until then I will try with what I got.

Thanks for showing your technique. I can't wait to try. Excellent !!!!!!!!!

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I just looked for a dealer for the Smile Line Brushes. Wouldn't you know, they're right here in Denver. Dudn'thatbeatall ? Gotta get me some. Which ones are you using?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I just looked for a dealer for the Smile Line Brushes. Wouldn't you know, they're right here in Denver. Dudn'thatbeatall ? Gotta get me some. Which ones are you using?

I use the 6 and 8, mostly the 8 to build with (1st bake) then I use a LT tip for the 2nd bake... I got mine from the Zahn catalog

Al, I do use a ceramic dish for my liquid and yes you're right, I do need a manicure, but then again, I'm kinda fond to my manly fingers....

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

My other hobby keeps me busy too, it's hard to get that black grease off your hands, currently restoring these...Triumph Spitfire's.
triumph.JPG

Last edited:
aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Very nice. I like how you work right out of the bottle. I would have never thought about doing that. I usually slab a bunch of porcelain on with a spatula and use a brush for more detailed things.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I usually slab a bunch of porcelain on with a spatula

Then do you put that porcelain back in your bottle when your done? Of course not..... My technique will save you some money. If you feel bad about that, don't hesitate to send me the difference at my address on my website below........lol

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Then do you put that porcelain back in your bottle when your done? Of course not..... My technique will save you some money. If you feel bad about that, don't hesitate to send me the difference at my address on my website below........lol

That porcelain never goes back in the bottle. I'm just used to estimating the amount of porcelain I need for each case and adding that amount to the porcelain tray. I can definitely see how your technique would save money.

:wof:

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Rob,

I was wondering (since the crown you showed was a 3M2) how to you do this mix of porcelain for the dSIGN to match the Vita 3-D, if you are going out of the bottle? Are you mixing the dry powders (in their proportions) in a separate bottle and then lifting it out with the brush?

I tried my first crown with your technique. I had to do the dentin on the tray, because it was a mix, but the TS-2 came right out of the bottle! I had to dab quickly, otherwise too much dry powder came with the brush and it was hard to sculpt on the crown. I too was using the Optimum 2.

Thanks for the class !!!

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey, no problem, and yes i have my own ceramic dishes for every 3d shade. That way I don't waste any porcelain. The technique of getting the right porcelain out of the bottle takes a little bit, that's why I suggested using the SmileLine brush....Try going with just a little bit of porcelain at first, don't try to build the crown in one stroke.....lol Glad to hear you at least tried it. I didn't even think anyone would. Let me know if you stick with it.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I liked the orange on the occlusal surface. It added some great depth. I forgot to thank you for that. What other occlusal shades to you use. It was easier since I was doing the 3M2 "just like the instructor!"

Do you do anything "special" with the opaques? Ie. 1 shade darker along the gingival, interproximal areas with a darker shade, incisal opaque on the cusp tips, etc????

Seems like I am always just using straight one-color opaque for the whole thing, with a sprinkle of margin porcelain for my last layer for better mechanical retention and light diffraction. (Got this tip from a mag.) I use a glass rod to apply my opaque. I was getting some cracks during the final adjustment stages when I used a brush. I still have a hard time opaquing the interproximal of bridges. The opaque wants to fill inbetween, and when I fire the opaque the interproximal shrinks, tears and gets rough and ugly.

Other tricks or ideas? (I'm all ears).

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I use a glass rod to apply my opaque. I was getting some cracks during the final adjustment stages when I used a brush. I still have a hard time opaquing the interproximal of bridges. The opaque wants to fill inbetween, and when I fire the opaque the interproximal shrinks, tears and gets rough and ugly.

Zappa, are you using powder opaque. If you are tomorrow switch to paste and you wont have that problem anymore.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Zappa, are you using powder opaque. If you are tomorrow switch to paste and you wont have that problem anymore.

Agree..........

As for other tricks Zappa, have you seen this thread
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f4/d-sign-porcelain-1751/

Sixonice, you know that stud, he had some great ideas on there as well, including the suggestion about margin powder.

Just remember, less finishing, less waste, the art is in the building/stacking.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
No, I am a paste guy. My only system has been the dSIGN porcelain and the opaque comes in syringes.

You guys don't have any problems with bridge frames when you opaque the interproximal connection? The thinner wash coat wants to "wick-in" to the joint space. It is not everytime or every joint but it seems to happen a lot for me (actually it's my only real difficulty). I then chip it out with a #25 BP-blade, and move on.