3Shape vs. Exocad

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
I saw that nobody has added "exocad user" in its presentation ...

So, I am the only official user of the Sexiest system on DLN ! :p

Be careful, the others users are clandestines ...:D

Last edited:
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Tyler, Luke, and all others....

Sorry for my biased attitude.

Here is a little more info.

First time around, employee did a GREAT job, but took almost 6 minutes.

I told her to make it a 4 minute video....and she make One in around 2 minutes, and I guess Luke did not like it?

This threas was all about speed, no? If you want to see a beautiful crown, then my employees usually take around 4-6 minutes.

I earlier said Two, and I was wrong for real-world designing...My bad!

It all just depends on your own lab's preference as to how anal you want to get.

Both software do the same damn thing. Honestly, I think the Medit Blue and exocad have better margin recognition that rarely needs tweeking.

The initial proposal is now much better with exocad and closer to what you might want. All the tools are there, just different to use than 3shape.

There is only a few things that 3shape does that exo cannot, and vice/versa....I am sure they will both continue to add features.

The Medit scanners are super fast, and very few data voids compared to many other scanners.

I just don't see many people complaining about exocad, or the Medit....(OK same with 3shape?)

We can go back to the discussion of cost?

Medit and exocad = 1/2 the cost of a 3shape! But who cares about money, right? LOL

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i think people in general need to stop comparing the scanners....it's two separate ideas...in that realm you'd have to compare Sirona X5 to 3Shape to be proper. I've used exocad for a few months - but paired with an open technologies scanner.... needless to say, the scan experience was horrendous.

from a CAD perspective, I would say EXOCAD software may seem more...clean? UI experience is just simple and straight forward.... whereas 3Shape you can see it is bogged down by the way its software infrastructure is set up.

I find that I can definitely carve and do more things in EXOCAD...but for high volume labs? 3Shape is simply i think the better way to go.

Personally? My favorite designer will always be the old Biodenta Software - it was done well, it's just old now.

the 3 Shape is strong with it's "clean up" compared to exocad i feel. (again not law, just how i feel.) - it's fit to contact and shaping of occlusion is done better than the way exocad does it.

However, from a cost perspective, which IS an important factor, but honestly shouldn't be used when doing a strict experience comparo IMO - if i were doing my own gig, I'd clearly never get a 3Shape unless I was already well established....just not enough bang for the buck.

If I were a 15MM lab - then yeah...i'd be doing what we've done now....two D900s just this past quarter. Barely anything to sniff at.

I mean..this is like people bitching about Win7 vs Win8 vs OSX Mavericks... I've been around computers long enough to be partial to windows OS, though I still think Linux should've been the way to go (anyway)..... my personal computer at home is a R-Macbook Pro and I thoroughly enjoy the OS....but then I have friends who are like NEIN NEIN NEIN!! Win7 64-bit 4 LYF!!!! -

or better yet.... those that have sworn off Win 8 (i was one of them actually) - but since 8.2 came out .... i am actually enjoying it more than Win 7 and it's touch UI is great.

While I love seeing the flame wars go on here, and I may or may not sometimes contribute :D - we are way too close to chicago and honestly half of us will run into each other, the other half we'll pass and have no idea who the **** they are... but IMO let's just play it nice.... now go to the Chicago Lab Day thread and let's plan a parrrrtayy.

I hear this year Primus will host a swingers club event

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are there any new software companies that could give 3 Shape and xocad a run for our money on the horizon?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Are there any new software companies that could give 3 Shape and xocad a run for our money on the horizon?

Yup, a structured white light scanner and a modular cad sw from Bredent is currently under development... will see how it will turn out...

L

Laurence Grice-Roberts

Reaction score
Hi, Visit the Medit Facebook page for scanning/designing vids (timed) of the Identica SE (White light) and the new Identica Blue (Blue Light). The blue is not only very accurate 10-15 microns but is very quick, ideal for high production environments and you don't even need to keep opening the door because it doesn't have one! Exocad just gets better and better and is so easy to use, by far the best choice on the market and much cheaper than many alternatives.

https://www.facebook.com/meditdental?fref=ts

C

charles007

Reaction score
You don't need to close the door while scanning on the Medit SE. At least I've seen no difference to close while using..

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah, white light doesn't require the door to be shut. However, there is a difference, and you should see a clearer scan with no light pollution - thought the software that is aggregating the data may be overcompensating for that. After that's done, EXOCAD will just use w/e was generated.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Chevy is sirona
Ford is 3 Shape
Dodge is xocad
actually if we were going for a strictly linear comparison between CAD programs and Car manufacturers, 3shape would be BMW, sirona is Volkswagen, and exocad would be Audi

they are after all, all German.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Chevy sucks
Ford is more popular
Dodge is just as good as Ford

I've seen pictures of Bentleys

There have been more sightings of BigFoot than of disturbed's work.......promises promises.....:rolleyes:

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Bentley is amazing to sit in when the car is not moving. The craftsmanship is seriously out of this world. The ride, not so much...it's like being in a boat (which some people may like) -

I'm mighty interested in the new 2015 Z06 - might be a fun summer car.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I win!
1954f112a745bf3deaec206a46b6bf3f.jpg

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
haha that's funny. The new 2015 GLobal Mustang should be interesting. Personally I'm waiting for the Macan Turbo to be available. I've always loved small Crossovers with stupid power

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have to use a broom to clear the snow off my car.

Top Bottom