3Shape Users

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed that there wasn't a 3Shape group started yet. I would like people to join the group that have 3Shape so we could discuss and learn more from each other. I would love to answer any questions that some of you may have, or if I do not know the answer, I could help find out for you guys. I would love to get this group really up and running. Thanks everyone. Hope to see you guys join.

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
Great Idea!I like to start. Do i have to change my D250 very soon?I'm using the dental designer about 4 years now and i see how fast improve the software...In a 2 weeks period i had 3 times complete crash.I recived the 2.7.8.5 update,but my support told me it's buggy.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
It's about time to upgrade scanners. Our D250 went out on us, so we got another 700. You will like it! Don't have to worry about models fitting inside them. Plus it's soooo much faster than that Scannersaurus you have. It will pay for itself in the time you save alone!!

I agree that the 2.7.8.5 is buggy. I was one of the first ones to have the update when it came out. I love the 2012 software compared to the older versions. I love the smile composer for posterior teeth now. There are some changes that need to happen to help the production labs out though. I have mentioned several ideas to my provider and have actually gotttwn some of them to go into the new updates. 3Shape is good about listening to the users and trying to Taylor the software towards their needs. Anyway, I could babble on for a while. Hope to chat with you more. Fire away with the questions.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
It crashed because you have the older scanner. The newer software is too much for the older scanner. Let me guess, Scan Server Errors? Acting like the scanner wasn't working? It happened to us.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Tell me more about the 2012 software. I'm waiting for Weiland to give me the green light.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I've had problems with the proposal for 3rd molars(#1,16,17,32). I also have problems with Veneers. Also, if you have a scan library that you want to use, you cannot use it here yet. These are all the buggy problems I've had with it. Nothing I cannot get around on a daily basis. I love the new tools that it allows us to use. Mainly the smile composer for the posterior teeth.

Lazulitone

Lazulitone

Reaction score
My reseller is absolutely horrible when it comes to technical support. We feel like we are completely cut off from the 3Shape developers.

We are having major issues with video clipping. When designing large cases we reach a point where the memory runs out and we can no longer see our design and oftentimes our video card will crash and try to recover. I realize it could be a video card issue : Nvidia GeForce GT220. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. This issue prevents us from designing large cases on the system.

Also, is it possible to set up a secondary workstation for designing using one license? We would like to design on one workstation while scanning with the other.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have? That has a lot to do with the "lagging" during design. I suggest to have around 8Gig of RAM. You will also need to upgrade your video card. You can go to Best Buy to upgrade it. Look in the gaming center and they should help you out a lot. It's a simple install into the tower. $80-90 total I believe. I have had that problem when doing a full arch problem before, but it was just my RAM for scanning in the case.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I realize it could be a video card issue : Nvidia GeForce GT220. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. This issue prevents us from designing large cases on the system.

First, make sure you have the latest driver for the video card. Go to Nvidia.com and serahc for the latest driver available.

Also, is it possible to set up a secondary workstation for designing using one license? We would like to design on one workstation while scanning with the other.

Yes, The most efficient way to do this is to make sure the PC that has the scanner attached has the software installed as a server setup. This is essentially just the DentalSystem suite of software with Windows shares created that allow full access to c:\3Shape, c:\3Shape Configuration and c:\Program Files\3Shape. This is assuming that your order directory and manufacturing output directory are unchanged from the factory settings. Then create a shortcut to your DentalManager.exe from that scanning PC on the design PC.

I thought the OP was talking about a separate forum, not just a thread???

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
My reseller is absolutely horrible when it comes to technical support. We feel like we are completely cut off from the 3Shape developers.

We are having major issues with video clipping. When designing large cases we reach a point where the memory runs out and we can no longer see our design and oftentimes our video card will crash and try to recover. I realize it could be a video card issue : Nvidia GeForce GT220. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. This issue prevents us from designing large cases on the system.

What version softare are you running also? Could just be a really bad release but is most likely a hardware related issue.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
"I thought the OP was talking about a separate forum, not just a thread???"

I started a group, though no one has joined. Hmm. Any ideas how to get people to join the 3Shape Users group?

Lazulitone

Lazulitone

Reaction score
First, make sure you have the latest driver for the video card. Go to Nvidia.com and serahc for the latest driver available.

Running 3Shape v 2.7.8.5

I am only running 4Gigs of RAM on that box. I do have the latest drivers for the video card. The problem happens when I am designing the case. Usually near the end. It seems like the video buffer runs out of room like its not clearing out. I will upgrade the RAM.

Yes, The most efficient way to do this is to make sure the PC that has the scanner attached has the software installed as a server setup. This is essentially just the DentalSystem suite of software with Windows shares created that allow full access to c:\3Shape, c:\3Shape Configuration and c:\Program Files\3Shape. This is assuming that your order directory and manufacturing output directory are unchanged from the factory settings. Then create a shortcut to your DentalManager.exe from that scanning PC on the design PC.

Jay, I really need your help with this. I am shocked that I am able to run the software that way. Works! I do have the server configuration installed on the main workstation. Before I go through and fix all the links in the control panel... Is it possible to do all the scanning on the main box and design (at the very same time) on the other? Can you have 2 instances of the Dental Manager running at the same time?

I thought the OP was talking about a separate forum, not just a thread???
I agree. Sign me up for a separate 3Shape group! Great idea!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
"I agree. Sign me up for a separate 3Shape group! Great idea!"

Look up in the group section. I started the group yesterday or the day before I think. You'll have to subscribe to the group I believe.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
We have two scanning stations and two design stations set up right now. They allow us to scan at the same time and design without having to wait on the person scanning. It's very nice!

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I do have the server configuration installed on the main workstation. Before I go through and fix all the links in the control panel... Is it possible to do all the scanning on the main box and design (at the very same time) on the other? Can you have 2 instances of the Dental Manager running at the same time?

Yes simultaneous scan and design. All of the dongles I've seen from 3Shape come with 3-5 licenses for DentalManager. "Fix all the links" Why would you change anything if the server install has already been performed? Simply add a shortcut to the desktop of the PC you plan on designing with.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi all,
We have a bunch of 3Shape scanner and would love to participate in the thread.
In addition we have a free website loaded with how to videos on 3Shape. You can find it at:
CAP ACADEMY
Bob

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Great Idea!I like to start. Do i have to change my D250 very soon?I'm using the dental designer about 4 years now and i see how fast improve the software...In a 2 weeks period i had 3 times complete crash.I recived the 2.7.8.5 update,but my support told me it's buggy.

Stumpf,

The D250 will no longer be supported by 3Shape starting in June. They are offering the D700 and trade your D250 for a pretty good deal right now. I'd seriously look into upgrading very soon!!

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I would be installing 64 bit os and installing a sht load more ram. I was having disappearing designs on 32 bit with 4 gb funily enough my 3d connexion would bring it back when I used that to rotate the model. I don't ever want to be in the situation again where I've designed 14 upper crowns to get to the lowers and run out of memory.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I would be installing 64 bit os and installing a sht load more ram. I was having disappearing designs on 32 bit with 4 gb funily enough my 3d connexion would bring it back when I used that to rotate the model. I don't ever want to be in the situation again where I've designed 14 upper crowns to get to the lowers and run out of memory.

I agree with you!! A 64 but OS is a must!! With at least 8G RAM and the newest baddest video card out there! Then you're good to go! No lagging or worrying about if your going to be able to design a large case like that!!!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'll go join the group. sounds good. will that work basically like a thread? for us computer challenged folks, please give a nice step by step on how to set up the scan and design monitors for one scanner.