3Shape question

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I know with Exocad that if you don't do updates for a while, then you have to pay for all of the ones you didn't update before you can move forward with a new one. Let's just assume you have a 3Shape scanner, and you did not use it for a couple of years. Would you have to pay for those updates like with Exocad or just renew your license?

Also, why does 3Shape need a whole different scanner (E2 vs E1) to capture surface texture? That seems expensive ($3000) for the ability to read pencil markings. The scanners appear to have the same setup with regards to cameras...seems like it would be controlled by the software. Dontknow

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we have been able to scan model textures since 2012 with a d800. this is not new.

and if you dont pay then the software doesnt work. even if you wanted to stay on 2014 forever you pay the yearly fees.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
we have been able to scan model textures since 2012 with a d800. this is not new.

and if you dont pay then the software doesnt work. even if you wanted to stay on 2014 forever you pay the yearly fees.

Not the answers I was looking for...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...]
Also, why does 3Shape need a whole different scanner (E2 vs E1) to capture surface texture? That seems expensive ($3000) for the ability to read pencil markings. The scanners appear to have the same setup with regards to cameras...seems like it would be controlled by the software. Dontknow
Even if it is controlled in software, it's their fee schedule and 'there's not thing one you can do 'bout it'. NO different than paying Microsoft more for a professional version of Windows over a Home version.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

This was true previously, but with the new E1 and E2 scanners, you have the option to only buy for the first year, then after that you can continue using the software, but will no longer receive new versions year after year (unless you pay for the "service plan"). You will still get the bug fixes for the version you are on, just no version upgrades.

As for texture scanning, I could be wrong, but most of that is decided by the software, along with the firmware in the scanner itself. There are some slight differences in the scanners, but the majority is the firmware (I believe).

As for software updates, If I bought the 2017 software, but did not get the service plan, I get to use it indefinitely. But if in 2020, I want to get the new version of 3Shape, I pay the service plan fee (for that year) and get the new version. At least, this is the way it was explained to me from our marketing department.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, those changes are for the 3Shape Basic software. If you go with the Dental System Premium, I believe the service plan (annual license) is required.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
but that only applies to those with the new scanners. a person who has a d700 cannot take advantage of this pricing plan without a scanner upgrade as far as i have been led to believe.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
but that only applies to those with the new scanners. a person who has a d700 cannot take advantage of this pricing plan without a scanner upgrade as far as i have been led to believe.

Absolutely true, that is why I referred directly to the E1 and E2 scanners. This pricing plan does not pertain to E3 scanners or above. Or to scanners that you purchased in previous years (D500, D700, D800, etc)

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, those changes are for the 3Shape Basic software. If you go with the Dental System Premium, I believe the service plan (annual license) is required.

Patrick, where can I view the options to compare the 2 software choices? I'm thinking about getting the E1 but I need to know what the basic has vs. the premium. I would like to avoid the service plan if possible. Thanks!

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
the question is more what if you need more options in the future do they allow this and what to pay for or do you have only a peace of sales ****.
E 1 sorry wrong Scanner !! for that kind of software
as Patrick i think all 3 scanners are the same see Medit just different soft versus firmware

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Patrick, where can I view the options to compare the 2 software choices? I'm thinking about getting the E1 but I need to know what the basic has vs. the premium. I would like to avoid the service plan if possible. Thanks!

I would contact your local IV tech rep. They should be able to give you everything you need to make that decision. I will try and find something on it, and PM it to you, but not sure I have it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Going to the 3 Shape website may be a good place to start.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
So I know with Exocad that if you don't do updates for a while, then you have to pay for all of the ones you didn't update before you can move forward with a new one. Let's just assume you have a 3Shape scanner, and you did not use it for a couple of years. Would you have to pay for those updates like with Exocad or just renew your license?

The way premium dental designer works is a few years out of service shouldn't be that bad to renew, it when it is 4plus years you have to buy a whole new single and that can be pricey. The 3shape retailers will give you better answer to this each one is slightly different t in price.

They do have a new line of software for crown and bridge, called labcare. With the newer E series scanners for 10k you get the E1 and one year of labcare, no need to renew I'd you do not want to. Software stays open dmfir use as long as you like. Now when you want to update you will have to pay for a while new year but they to my have a backlog price fee. I know hypertext cam software does. Just makes it fair for all the people paying them yearly, imagine if you didn't pay for 6 six then out of the blue you only had to pay 1250.00 for a years subscription, would that be fair to all the yearly paying su scriptions? This is why this type of things are in place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BrusJr

BrusJr

Reaction score
I didn't understand, D700 owners, do they pay yearly or not if they stay on old version?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I didn't understand, D700 owners, do they pay yearly or not if they stay on old version?
Only e series scanner habe a option called lab care which is support for the software for only crown and bridge nothing else. If you opt out of lab care you get the software with n ow yearly fee, but you can only design crown and bridge no abutment, rpd s and so on those are under premium software. All D series scanners are only premium software with a higher yearly fee.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom