3shape design seat / dongle question

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
does anyone know if you can have a dongle with no design seats, just scanning? I'd like to consolidate our design seats onto one dongle. we have two scanners and, thus, two dongles but I'd like to just run one dental manager linked to all our design seats. Does that make sense?

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Yes. Your 3Shape Scanner is actually its own kind of dongle. We use this exact method for four scanners and we also set up many of customers the same way.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Same with exocad, Medit, and Steinbichler scanners.

Those can be broken up into Two computers...Scan/Design.

Is Dental Wings the same as well??

I suppose it depends on what Dental Wings scanner you have, but are any of them able to do this?

blue tooth

blue tooth

Reaction score
Yes. Your 3Shape Scanner is actually its own kind of dongle. We use this exact method for four scanners and we also set up many of customers the same way.

Hi Sam, could You, please, elaborate a little bit ? Are You talking about two stand alone systems or server - client configuration ?
I know with 2010 software and D250 it was possible to do scans without connected dongle, with D700 and 2012 software that's not possible.
Another thing, client computer is a lot slower then server (scan or design, it doesn't matter)
Thanks in advance.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Hi Sam, could You, please, elaborate a little bit ? Are You talking about two stand alone systems or server - client configuration ?
I know with 2010 software and D250 it was possible to do scans without connected dongle, with D700 and 2012 software that's not possible.
Another thing, client computer is a lot slower then server (scan or design, it doesn't matter)
Thanks in advance.

It would be a server install and then network installs on any other separate design/scan stations. Ideally you would combine your dongles onto one so you network installs can just call to licenses as needed, you can use separate dongles on different server installs but this method complicates things.

Doing this server method does make the opening and loading of cases slower dependent on your network bandwidth. The good thing is that once the case is loaded it should be normal speed designing.

Obviously there is a lot of details that go into setting this all up, but regretfully I cannot spend that much time this morning writing it all up.

I hope this helps a little.

- Sam

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Sam has basically nailed it. Before we upgraded the license to a second design station, I had one server install on the main PC and one client instal on our CAM PC. The client PC's are portals to the server icons, the entire software is not installed on the client PC. You can input on both PC's and scan/design on one or the other PC at a time. In order to scan on the client pc the scan server must be open on the server and the scan window must be closed. Just point the client PC to the servers IP just the like the link above by Colin. The only thing that doesn't work from scanning on the client PC is the start scan when door closes, only works on the serve cause the scanner is plugged in directly. Scan and design speed may vary on you client PCs specs. D700 and 2012 is the setup we are running.

The server install only has the server paths added to it over the stand alone install, other then that nothing else should be different. This way you have one Dongle, two PCs one for scanning and one for designing. Run two techs all day no problems.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
so, how many client pc's can you run off a server pc? I'd like to run 3 design seats and two scanners at the same time, but keep everything within the same dental manager.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Joe,
That's no problem. You can build a 3Shape network as large as you like. Glidewell has his place all on one network with a huge server. You can simply continue to build scanners and design seats into a single network. So any design seat can design any file scanned by any scanner.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
so, how many client pc's can you run off a server pc? I'd like to run 3 design seats and two scanners at the same time, but keep everything within the same dental manager.

Like Bob said your good, if you install clients they are automatically directed to the same database as the server. But if you install another server or standalone you need to point the database on those PC to the same as the server. That is done in the control panel>System Settings. You just need to find the location in the servers controls panel and you your good.

P

pplslt

Reaction score
Joe,
That's no problem. You can build a 3Shape network as large as you like. Glidewell has his place all on one network with a huge server. You can simply continue to build scanners and design seats into a single network. So any design seat can design any file scanned by any scanner.

Bob,

Would you recommend consolidating two dongles into one? What happens when the server PC where 2 consolidated dongles reside malfunctions and must taken out of operation for a while? Can I just take out the dongle and stick it to other stations with a little reconfiguration in control panel and then resume work without the server?

I was told its a bad idea to have more than one server in the same network. so I assume when consolidating the dongle, both dongles reside in one machine, am I correct on this? If so, it raises the risk when the server ever fails, right?
That's my main concern regarding consolidating the dongle but would love to hear from you.

When you two 3shape dongles (2 scanner with scanning stations + 2 design stations),what would be your ideal setup?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Bob,

Would you recommend consolidating two dongles into one? What happens when the server PC where 2 consolidated dongles reside malfunctions and must taken out of operation for a while? Can I just take out the dongle and stick it to other stations with a little reconfiguration in control panel and then resume work without the server?
YES. It's a regular dongle and can be inserted into another computer. You won't be able to insert it into a client computer though because it's just that, a client, and it is running the 3Shape software off the server. You could, however, install a standalone installation on any computer and plug your dongle into that computer and use that one as normal.

I was told its a bad idea to have more than one server in the same network. so I assume when consolidating the dongle, both dongles reside in one machine, am I correct on this? If so, it raises the risk when the server ever fails, right?
That's my main concern regarding consolidating the dongle but would love to hear from you.
Consolidating the dongle means merging the licenses from multiple dongles into one physical dongle. Yes, more than one server/standalone is not ideal because the data won't be shared and there are problems if you do try to share data between two servers. One dongle, one server, multiple clients (whether they are scanning or designing, it doesn't matter) is the best wat o get set up.

When you two 3shape dongles (2 scanner with scanning stations + 2 design stations),what would be your ideal setup?
Like I said, one dongle, one server, every other computer is a client.

YES. It's a regular dongle and can be inserted into another computer. You won't be able to insert it into a client computer though because it's just that, a client, and it is running the 3Shape software off the server. You could, however, install a standalone installation on any computer and plug your dongle into that computer and use that one as normal.

Consolidating the dongle means merging the licenses from multiple dongles into one physical dongle. Yes, more than one server/standalone is not ideal because the data won't be shared and there are problems if you do try to share data between two servers. One dongle, one server, multiple clients (whether they are scanning or designing, it doesn't matter) is the best wat o get set up.

Like I said, one dongle, one server, every other computer is a client.

P

pplslt

Reaction score
YMS96,

Thanks for detailed input on setup.

It leads to my next question:

In case the server fails, what is the best way to backup the files that's been scanned?

Does the backup process involve simple copy&paste of a directory or does it require to be done via 3shape dental system/control panel?

and

in typical setting, the server station works as database storage as well, where all other network clients and stand-alone stations are pointed towards. However, for added redundancy, can I add separate File Server with RAID and have all files stored there? Does the location of database directory be setup only during installation of server station or can it be modified later?

Thanks!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
There are a few ways to help prevent against data loss on an important system. A system with a set of hard drives in a Raid configuration will help protect against data loss but can effect read / write speeds on the system. There are also a variety of internet based Cloud services which can be used to back-up the order information. This would not help prevent a system from corruption but would make data recovery easier once a new system was setup. A local back-up could also be used using a variety of 3rd party applications either on a local hard drive or Network Storage device can be used.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There are a few ways to help prevent against data loss on an important system. A system with a set of hard drives in a Raid configuration will help protect against data loss but can effect read / write speeds on the system. There are also a variety of internet based Cloud services which can be used to back-up the order information. This would not help prevent a system from corruption but would make data recovery easier once a new system was setup. A local back-up could also be used using a variety of 3rd party applications either on a local hard drive or Network Storage device can be used.

For data recovery, only raid5 should be used for maximum retreivabity. Costs a little more up front, but well worth it.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Great thread, i'm totally going to do this!

J

Jorge

Reaction score
RAID

RAID 5 allows one disk failure, RAID6 allows two disks failure but RAID systems only provide data availability, no data backup.

If one disk (RAID1 or RADI5) or two disks (RAID6) fail, yo still can access your data.

If the PC or NAS etc. hardware fails then you can not acces your data at all.

That is why you always need a backup in a different computer or device.

In case of fire, flood etc you need at least an off site backup (disaster recovery). For that you can carry a copy to your home or make a copy in the cloud or both if you are paranoic (like me).

The life of scanning data is short, once the pieces are milled it is usually not needed, in any case scanning data can be reconstructed scanning again.

Business data if different, here you need all posible security.

Regards

J

Jorge

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention it is advisable to encrypt your business or RX data before it leaves your site
(You can use Truecrypt to have encrypted disks)