3Shape D800

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
Thats really odd are you using a resin die stone thats reflective? We use GC FUJIROCK® EP OptiXscan.

Are you using the rectangular multi die holder with putty when you scan this?

Are you selecting a minimal area to scan via the blue circle?

Also when we make our dupes of abutments we make a minimal ditch by waxing out big undercuts, I am not saying yours is a problem but I like to have 4mm under the margin but this just comes from my days with the touch scanner.

I'm using Whip-Mix Silky-Rock White. I've been using this stone for years with my Lava guy without any issues.
The die is pinned and seated in the model, not the multi-die holder.

I selected a minimal area, I've also tried selecting a larger area.
My rep told me to make a gap between the margin and the edge of the circle that is the width of the "hand" cursor.

The best results I have gotten come from adding wax .5mm below the margin to fill in the subgingival part of the abutment, that was done on this die prior to duplication.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
"I have a 40X microscope"

lol over powered for dentistry or what? :)

my system does x20 and i even find that to much.

how many um can you see at x40 ? easily less than 5um id say.

I hear that all the time but that's the level of precision that I work at. It's just me and my dad here, we are very low volume but highly detailed.
We finish all of our margins at 40X.

Idk what μm I can see but the hair on the back of my hand looks like a drinking straw.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I'm using Whip-Mix Silky-Rock White. I've been using this stone for years with my Lava guy without any issues.
The die is pinned and seated in the model, not the multi-die holder.

I selected a minimal area, I've also tried selecting a larger area.
My rep told me to make a gap between the margin and the edge of the circle that is the width of the "hand" cursor.

The best results I have gotten come from adding wax .5mm below the margin to fill in the subgingival part of the abutment, that was done on this die prior to duplication.

This is what I was trying to state, if you also look the areas where your scan was not great is inter proximal and this is where I normally make sure the there are not big undercuts very very minimal ditch than straight down on the die. I will see if I can make some pics for comparison.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
This is what I was trying to state, if you also look the areas where your scan was not great is inter proximal and this is where I normally make sure the there are not big undercuts very very minimal ditch than straight down on the die. I will see if I can make some pics for comparison.

Even when I add wax, as I did on this die, I am getting a distorted margin. There are no chips on the interproximal area on my die but they appear in the scan.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
you could have bought my inlab system, you would have loved the marginal fit at that mag level :)

Being serious im AMAZED that your acheiving marginal fits with CAD/CAM that you are happy with at x40.

From my experiance so far, the only way you can hit that kind of accuracy is with casting / pressing etc. Or in otherwords traditional techniques.

Last edited:
harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
wow... that scan looks like it's from the redcam.

Eric C. Burgio

Eric C. Burgio

Reaction score
Does anyone know where is the best place to buy a 3Shape D800?
Who has the best price?
Does anyone here have this scanner? What do you think about it?
Does it have any weak points or things that are frustrating to use?

I currently have the NobelProcera laser scanner but I'm not satisfied with what it can do.

I personally have a D800 scanner and honestly I love it. Not only do I love it I’ve also used it for about eight years now so it’s a work horse. Please don’t get me wrong I’ve also used the D 2000 scanner and if you have the money to spend that is definitely a much better faster scanner. In all honesty The main differences are the D 800 is a red blazer it’s a little slower scanning it only scans one model at a time but definitely still sufficient to get any job done. The D2000 on the other hand is a blue light scanner which is much faster picks up actual color of the model stone and has the capability to scan both arches at the same time instead of having to scan one taking it out and scanning the other as you would have to in the D 800. I also feel your pain using the nobel laser scanner and absolutely hate that scanner as well. They can’t even be compared in the same league. Also, the software for 3shape is much more efficient and user friendly. Lastly, the only matienece I’ve had to do with the D 800 is just calibrate it about once a month. Please feel free to pm me for any other questions or information, I don’t believe you can buy the D 800 brand new anymore.

Thanks Eric C. Burgio