3Shape, Appending designs to preparations. How to.

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Were are doing a lot of DSD (Digital Smile Design) cases. We take a series of photos and build a keynote presentation to increase case acceptance with the patients.
We can do the 2D designs in Keynote. But I am having trouble with the 3D designs in 3 shape.
Never mind the DSD, all I really want is to export a preparation cast with the strictly additive (diagnostic waxup) design.
So I can do this if I design as a temporary shell. But then I am forced to select margins and splines and it leaves a lot to be desired in the final output when the designs are forced into the margination.

So...
All I want to be able to do is import a preparation arch, select 6-11 as "Temporaries on prepared model." Then lay some teeth over the facials of the existing teeth, and export the appended designs to the preparation arch, run through model builder real quick, and print the DSD Mockup model.

Something like this is the final STL for printing...
12298999_1636328279950408_1463267422_n.jpg

But no matter how I attempt it. I can never get through model builder without an error when using, "Temporary on prepared model."

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i see this as a 3-order deal.

order 1: do your design, dont make models, just do the waxup.

copy->append design to preparation scan

this creates a second order which you will just hit OK and do nothing.

order 3: switch to digital impression scan, select any single tooth in the arch, make single arch model, solid no dies. hit OK and IMPORT THE PREP SCAN FROM ORDER 2.

you should be able to just make a model without changing anything.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score

order 3: switch to digital impression scan, select any single tooth in the arch, make single arch model, solid no dies. hit OK and IMPORT THE PREP SCAN FROM ORDER 2.

Ill try that right now, BRB. Thanks.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Cool

Oh man, thank you so much! You rock! That totally worked. I can't tell you how helpful that is! Really, saved the day on this one CoolHandLuke!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

Frustrating how many hoops to jump through to do this, I have yet to try this work around but I am grateful for the path. Thanks!!!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Frustrating how many hoops to jump through to do this, I have yet to try this work around but I am grateful for the path. Thanks!!!
It worked when I gave it a try last night. I can't figure out how CoolHandLuke figured it out. I've tried everything except creating 3 separate orders... He's smooth.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3 orders basically is my idea of complete process control. breaking it up lets you re-do something at any single point and try something else.

so if you redo the design you can do so without losing your original. same with your modelwork. if you decide now to make dies, you can go back and without changing any original orders simply copy again and youve got your new model.

disk space is abundant. its data heavy but so what. get a naming convention going and be fine.

you are very welcome. i am here to help.

user name

user name

Reaction score
You are , after all in the hall of fame. We expect greatness of you.;)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah but i'm the one lonely member in it. surely someone else has contributed enough useful information to merit a badge.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
CoolHandLuke, I can't seem to replicate what I did the other night with your help. I did everything the same and now the design will not append. So frustrating.

Dali k

Dali k

Reaction score
Marcus , I remember this happened to me.. If I understand what is happening now is that when you work on the third order to build the model, at the end of the model builder module you get your model without the design that was appended to it in the begining... if this is issue you can go around it by exporting and importing the scans form the second order in the other format that you are trying now stl or dcm I dont remember ... but I remember it worked with one but now with the other..

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Marcus , I remember this happened to me.. If I understand what is happening now is that when you work on the third order to build the model, at the end of the model builder module you get your model without the design that was appended to it in the begining... if this is issue you can go around it by exporting and importing the scans form the second order in the other format that you are trying now stl or dcm I dont remember ... but I remember it worked with one but now with the other..
No, I have a problem earlier than that. As soon as I click, "Copy and append design to preparation arch," I look at the preview, it doesn't append anything. Check the STL, nope, nothing appended.
Sad.
I contacted CAP, a second time with the same issue. I was told that I can't do that. I showed them that I did. Then they said, yea but that STL wont make it through model builder. Again, I showed them that I did. And they said, "Yea, I dunno." And they didn't speak about contacting 3shape cause they were told 3shape doesn't support that workflow.
Meanwhile I have seen this workflow advertised since 2012. In publications such as, "Whats new in 3shape 2013," "Whats new in 3shape 2014," and, "Whats new in 3shape 2015."
So I need to put together some screen caps on what I did that I can not recreate, and some screen caps of the publications of this workflow, and send it to someone who will get to the bottom of it.
Sad.

Dali k

Dali k

Reaction score
No, I have a problem earlier than that. As soon as I click, "Copy and append design to preparation arch," I look at the preview, it doesn't append anything. Check the STL, nope, nothing appended.
Sad.
I contacted CAP, a second time with the same issue. I was told that I can't do that. I showed them that I did. Then they said, yea but that STL wont make it through model builder. Again, I showed them that I did. And they said, "Yea, I dunno." And they didn't speak about contacting 3shape cause they were told 3shape doesn't support that workflow.
Meanwhile I have seen this workflow advertised since 2012. In publications such as, "Whats new in 3shape 2013," "Whats new in 3shape 2014," and, "Whats new in 3shape 2015."
So I need to put together some screen caps on what I did that I can not recreate, and some screen caps of the publications of this workflow, and send it to someone who will get to the bottom of it.
Sad.

Ok I see, I know what you'r talking about I have the same issue with some cases and I did check with my resseler and they told me they dont know why it doesnt work but any ways... The only way I found to correcr this thing is to export scans in exocad merge them and get them back to 3shape...
If you want I can do that for you its a 2 min thing... just send me the 2 stls in the right position and I ll send it back to you murged togather..... if the cam file is not in the right position with the model when you export it try to get prep and the cam files rom the visualation output folder I think they are saved in the right position in that folder.. email: [email protected]

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Ok I see, I know what you'r talking about I have the same issue with some cases and I did check with my resseler and they told me they dont know why it doesnt work but any ways... The only way I found to correcr this thing is to export scans in exocad merge them and get them back to 3shape...
If you want I can do that for you its a 2 min thing... just send me the 2 stls in the right position and I ll send it back to you murged togather..... if the cam file is not in the right position with the model when you export it try to get prep and the cam files rom the visualation output folder I think they are saved in the right position in that folder.. email: [email protected]
What I can export is the STL of the arch and the STL of the design, I don't think they are positioned in any way.

Dali k

Dali k

Reaction score
I know I did this some how but I dont remember if it was by exporting the visualisation output or just by exporting cam and scans in stl... I'll check tomorow in the lab and get back to you. What I mean is that when they get exported they keep they position in the space like when it was in the design module...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Sad.
Sad.
are you sure you did the same waxup style as in the previous case ?

does the waxup interact with the model in any way or is it all up off the dies ? it may not be appending because theres enough space between the design and model that theres nothing to stitch - a hole too big to close, so to speak.

also, when you copy and append, you are now no longer looking at the STL for the waxup, but you are looking for the preparation scan, which should now be a DCM, in the new case.

Dali k

Dali k

Reaction score
Ok so in order to get both design and model stls allined.. you have to export the visualisation output... export the scan in stl...
And when you open the design visualisation output stl and the prep stl in the 3shape viewer.. they well be un same position when you were designing thim so from there to merge the two stls togather you have different options like I said ...
if the copie and append option dont work you can do that in exocad or another 3ed patry software... I know that blinder free software can do this but I have no idea how to do it in it.. but I think this (blinder) is the most reliable since it is free software that you can own and you know it works every time...
(Excuse my english)

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I'll have to get back to this in a bit...

Top Bottom