3M True Def

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
anyone making digital models from 3M true def scan files on the 3shape?
I have a client considering the intraoral scanner and would love to hear some feedback on how it has been going. especially if youre model-less and just using the digital models.
if youre having models made, who is making them? print or milled?
The new wand and firmware is awesome! Our 3M doctors have been extremely pleased with the quality and scan time with the new setup.

We're using the 30ZX file for all of our 3M modeled/model-less cases and they have been working great. As long as the doctor's scan is clean and adequate, there is no problem with processing them. It makes it really easy, because the 3M marked margin transfers over to 3shape model builder.

We have ours printed by Argen with very consistent results and fast turnaround.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
3M's intra-techs models are the best I've seen in the digital realm (printed or milled)...just my opinion.

Rob,were these existing drs that bought a Tru Def or did you acquire new clients because you were set up to receive the 3M files ?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6982.JPG
Thanks

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob,were these existing drs that bought a Tru Def or did you acquire new clients because you were set up to receive the 3M files ?

Hey Rob, the Doc usually uses me only for full arch cases but this was a patient that needed something extra I guess...can't remember why I got it to be honest because I usually don't do singles with her, her husband is a salesman for a big lab.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It would be nice to know which drs are buying what scanners.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I prefer 3D Systems PearlStone.

I have to agree on the PearlStone. Some if the nicest looking and the dies fit the base well too.

Last edited:
R

RJS8669

Reaction score
No issue here, I've never seen the PearlStone...pic? Are they printing or milling them? Cost?
Maybe its just me, and I'm sure it is, just seems that milling is a tad more accurate than printing. My experience between the two comparing is limited though.
1273871_381731701956058_491024228_o.jpg

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
It would be nice to know which drs are buying what scanners.
Seems like all the ones I hear from are straight out of school or middle aged practices.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
One other thing you might check on is the number of units with a bridge you can scan. Some of the IO scanners can only do a limited number of units. As far as the models go, I've tried some printed models from Core 3D and found the accuracy wasn't very good compared to the milled Itero models. FYI.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Nearly all of the full arch iTero models we have done have been accurate sans long edentulous areas. The IO scanners need land marks, i.e. preps or intact teeth to stitch the files together. Some of the bigger players in the game are working on software upgrades to change this. We'll see if this rumor comes to fruition.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nearly all of the full arch iTero models we have done have been accurate sans long edentulous areas. The IO scanners need land marks, i.e. preps or intact teeth to stitch the files together. Some of the bigger players in the game are working on software upgrades to change this. We'll see if this rumor comes to fruition.

oh it will...there's a lot of fruition to go around.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
oh it will...there's a lot of fruition to go around.
Man I hope so. Nobody wants to ditch gypsum more than me.....except the model monkey at some big box lab.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i love that I had my initial post here rated "dumb" for asking questions. haha.

side note, thank you everyone for the feedback. we are a few weeks away from hearing what the doc will do....and I'm still leaning toward trios over 3M. one day soon I'm sure we will end up having to make some models somewhere!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
i love that I had my initial post here rated "dumb" for asking questions. haha.

side note, thank you everyone for the feedback. we are a few weeks away from hearing what the doc will do....and I'm still leaning toward trios over 3M. one day soon I'm sure we will end up having to make some models somewhere!

Send your dr over to the Trios Study Club on Facebook.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Encode Empowered with TDIOS?