1st emax crowns! Need guidance!

T

TAB

Reaction score
All right...here's the deal. A Dr wants to try a couple of emax crowns on #8 and 9. I have never done them at all but I accepted to do them....and to be honest I'm a little nervous of the outcome. The Dr. knows this is an experiment for me but I still want a positive outcome.

I have a pressing furnace (Zubler VarioPress 300) but never used it for pressing.

I guess what I'd like to know is what is the short version of things I need to do,,, if there is a short version. I know there are so many variables but what is the easiest way to go about this.

I need to order porcelain and ingots and other things I may not even know about.

I looked at emax website.....Lot's of information to process.

Any input on where to start and how to keep this simple as possible whether it be advice or reading material will be greatly appreciated .

Thanks,

Tom

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You joined in 2011 and you didn't read any posts on emax?

M

martintay

Reaction score
Get stump shade-select ingot-press-layer with appropriate ceram porcelain .

C

charles007

Reaction score
Read the emax manual, or online manual. Once you finish reading it, re-read again..
Then read as many threads as you can before you start asking questions.. Basic techniques are in the manual, everything else is here in all the many threads..

M

martintay

Reaction score
Just thinking,if you have a local lab you are friends with, get them to do it - and see the whole process while they make it. Things should become clear as it sounds more complicated due to various options !

C

charles007

Reaction score
Just thinking,if you have a local lab you are friends with, get them to do it - and see the whole process while they make it. Things should become clear as it sounds more complicated due to various options !

Very good idea ! pressing seems complicated at first with all the many steps which are all important. Crap happens when techs leave out the little steps in techniques... Its the little things that causes bad presses..

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Lol or just outsource to me and I will knock them out of the park for ya.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
If you are serious about this, most labs will help, if you are just a flash in the pan dis-regard the following. TAB Where are you located, you must know someone within an hour of there that will do and show you. Many resources here, but unless you're ready to drop a CHUNK of change you best have someone do while you watch, Ivoclar will have you buying the full kit and you'll only use a small portion initially. I probably still have original ingots and porc's from 10 years ago or however long it's been out. Best case scenario is to outsource and buy extra ingots from that lab, then try to duplicate after reading the manual. The stains you use aren't as important as the glz which u should also purchase. Once you do this you may want to buy full kit or partner with a lab that will purchase for you. Oh ya don't let Mark J know you are doing this as you should really take the course offered by Ivoclar to make sure you are following all the protocols. The system will make sure you do this as not doing will result in failures before cases are shippped. Then in the future sign up for classes in chi town or lab day in ur area.(Just kidding Mark, TAB should pay the dues everyone else has, but in today's world there are many tech's just trying to keep food on the table and I would hope everyone would be as understanding if they asked for Help.) My 2 cents

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Congratulations on a challenge accepted. It's not rocket science. Have fun with it and take your time.

jackjabbour

jackjabbour

Reaction score
lets put it this way....I wish all my doctors used e.Max, thats how easy that stuff is. if you have a question on what to do with e.Max please give me a call, I'd love to help ya out. I will tell you tho, I wish you had an Ivoclar oven......

my number is 1-866-766-1866 and my name is Jack

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Wait, Theres still a lab in business that hasnt yet done a single e.max crown?:confused:

T

TAB

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied with useful posts. I really do appreciate any advice.

As far as outsourcing...thanks for the offers but not crazy about letting another lab totally complete these crown. Not saying they are not a quality crown they just aren't mine.

I'll wait until I receive the case and get the models worked up to see exactly what I'm dealing with. I then may have to ask specific questions as they come up.

Jack, Thanks for reaching out to me with your number. I may take you up on calling you once I get going.

Thanks again everyone.

Tom

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
All right...here's the deal. A Dr wants to try a couple of emax crowns on #8 and 9. I have never done them at all but I accepted to do them....and to be honest I'm a little nervous of the outcome. The Dr. knows this is an experiment for me but I still want a positive outcome.

I have a pressing furnace (Zubler VarioPress 300) but never used it for pressing.

I guess what I'd like to know is what is the short version of things I need to do,,, if there is a short version. I know there are so many variables but what is the easiest way to go about this.

I need to order porcelain and ingots and other things I may not even know about.

I looked at emax website.....Lot's of information to process.

Any input on where to start and how to keep this simple as possible whether it be advice or reading material will be greatly appreciated .

Thanks,

Tom

Tom -
we press in our vario 300 every day if you would like i can give you our pressing cycle-
if you dont have it in the oven already
Greg Amendola MDT

T

TAB

Reaction score
Tom -
we press in our vario 300 every day if you would like i can give you our pressing cycle-
Greg Amendola MDT

Thanks Greg, I'll let you know.

Tom

T

TAB

Reaction score
Tom -
Greg Amendola MDT

Thanks Greg, I'll let you know.

Tom

On second thought could you forward the pressing cycles you use. I do have the original ones that came with the oven from about 5 years ago. It would be good to compare to what you actually use.

No real hurry getting those to me. I most likely won't be able to press until next week.

Thanks again Greg.

Tom

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This site is the source for all things e.max. Restorations Du Jour is the e.max holy grail... Get a big cup of coffee and a notebook. My advice would be to order the e.max shade guide, and either give it to your client or use it to take shades. Ingot selection is the most crucial part.. anyone can press a crown, but getting consistent, predictable shade matches is the goal.

Maybe you mistook my earlier comment as useless, but I sincerely would like to know how a lab can be profitable without offering pressed crowns.

This is an emax LT ingot case, layered with ceramic, generally e.max is a chameleon without too much effort.

DSC_2468.jpg DSC_2515.jpg
DSC_2515.jpg DSC_2468.jpg

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Call me, I can help you make sure your oven is set up properly. We can also help get you the programs you need and information you need. Chris 972-600-9187 [email protected]

T

TAB

Reaction score
This is an emax LT ingot case, layered with ceramic, generally e.max is a chameleon without too much effort.

View attachment 4803 View attachment 4802

Very nice results. Would it be fair to say in order to get the best esthetic result with e.max it should be a full layered facial opposed to just inc. cutback?

Maybe you mistook my earlier comment as useless, but I sincerely would like to know how a lab can be profitable without offering pressed crowns.

I wasn't calling out anyone specifically. To be honest my clients never even inquired about pressed so I never pushed it. Didn't have a need to. I have always been about PFM's. A lot of full arch and some full mouth cases. Times are a changing though...don't seem to get nearly as many of those these days.......trying to adapt as best I can.

Thanks for your advice. I know what I'm doing tonight....

Top Bottom