Prehension handle "spot" on implant PFM

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if you know of a tool/method to help avoid the following issue:

When using a UCLA (castable cylinder) to produce a screw-retained implant crown and the doctor doesn't want a metal lingual band, our waxers will design a "prehension handle" to allow ceramists to handle the crown during building.

The issue is this leaves a visible metal spot in the finished porcelain (we polish it). Some doctors and patients don't like this minor "blemish".

Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if you know of a tool/method to help avoid the following issue:

When using a UCLA (castable cylinder) to produce a screw-retained implant crown and the doctor doesn't want a metal lingual band, our waxers will design a "prehension handle" to allow ceramists to handle the crown during building.

The issue is this leaves a visible metal spot in the finished porcelain (we polish it). Some doctors and patients don't like this minor "blemish".

Therapy? Had this convo years ago. I don't believe in enabling crazy.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score

Get different doctors?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Captek
Zirconia
Emax
grind off the handle after the final bake and then glaze with opaque.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
So this is just a necessary evil and esthetics and "wow factor" be damned?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

After it's been baked and final glazed and it can be handled without worry, take a #6 round bur, divot it out a bit, rough it up a bit and get some low fusing opaque and body porc and fill it in. It may not look perfect, but better?

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Esthetics? Does it show?
It's usually on the lingual, above the gingival margin, so technically, it doesn't show, but when the doc opens the box, or puts it on a model, I feel like it detracts from the overall aesthetics.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Captek? Does that even exist anymore?
yes,I believe it's called gold.

th

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
another way would be to grind out the handle after glaze ,etch and fill with opacious composite.
that way you wouldn't have to re-enter the furnace,as long as you nailed the shade the first time.

Quite frankly,this is a ridiculous. If you are really concerned about esthetics,then dump the metal altogether.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Why is the handle supergingival to begin with? Stop putting the handle super gingival. Put it subgingival and cut the gingival simulation material with a BP right where it seats so it will nestle right between the sides of the cut.

When you're all done working it on porcelain at pre-box QC, cut the holder off and polish the spot.

S

slotboom.f

Reaction score
I agree that the issue is ridiculous.
On the other hand are your doctors and patients telling you something else and that is: we want metal free restorations.
So take the comments and use them to your advantage!
By the way in the mean time you can grind out the metal and fill up with dentine opaque and there are some needle pin point tweezers you can use for glaze.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Why is the handle supergingival to begin with? Stop putting the handle super gingival. Put it subgingival and cut the gingival simulation material with a BP right where it seats so it will nestle right between the sides of the cut.

When you're all done working it on porcelain at pre-box QC, cut the holder off and polish the spot.
That came out way grumpier than it should have. Apologies.