Buying a dental lab

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize those numbers. So there is validity to my feeling of security in
continuing to do that type of work. What I'm hoping for, is that one day they actually
ask me what i would suggest for a sirona I/O scanner replacement, to get better
FCZ work. I did give them an in my lab presentation on zirconia and a bit on the pros
and cons of some of the scanners, including Trios, but nothing happened in that regard.
Maybe my bib overalls I wore and the chainsaw was a little off-putting to them? :D
I could get my clown outfit out of storage and come talk to them for you if you like?
I'd just need some addresses...

rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
Tough call. What all would your Uncle be doing ? Just porcelain work? That means you have to do everything else. I'd cut out all the employees if you buy till you build it back up and share all the responsibilities in the lab together. maybe pay your uncle peicework.

J

Joon Hong

Reaction score
:) so many postings...
never expected this much help
really really appreciate your input
I am reconsidering this and probably start from scratch

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize those numbers. So there is validity to my feeling of security in
continuing to do that type of work. What I'm hoping for, is that one day they actually
ask me what i would suggest for a sirona I/O scanner replacement, to get better
FCZ work. I did give them an in my lab presentation on zirconia and a bit on the pros
and cons of some of the scanners, including Trios, but nothing happened in that regard.
Maybe my bib overalls I wore and the chainsaw was a little off-putting to them? :D
You ,ay have more business savy than you give yourself credit for having. Bringjng you accohnts, even gettjng them to come in the first place, and giving a presentation is hard scary work. But can be a major help in raising their estimation of what you do from having a view of how you do it. Wanna come give a lecture at my lab? ;)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Family and business in the same pot is a fast way to have neither going well. Be exceedingly cautious and have all expectations on paper. Memories get fuzzy in favor of the rememberer.

I know a family business can work, but it takes work. I also know one where the family members got into full out physical fights to the point one went in an ambulance once.

Business plan, business plan, business plan. If you don't know where you're going, how will you know when you've gotten there.

If you're very serious, get all the books and go over them with an accountant. This would be a no-brainer if it were a non-family member, but we don't look as hard at family as we would at a 'stranger'. This is a mistake. Family outside the door, business partners inside the door. See above again if you need :)

Look at the local market. Ask yourself what is a realistic expectation percentage of the offices around you working with you. When you buy an existing lab, you are NOT opening a new lab. All the associations people have with the current lab will remain for some time. Good and bad. You are not just buying equipment and accounts that may stick around, but also any ill feelings and negative history.

Is the lab location rented or owned. Does the roof/windows/plumbing/heat and AC etc etc have issues that may need to be addressed soon. Who will pay for them? Can you get an inspector to go through like they do for homes. If its a rented space, will the lease transfer, and will the terms stay the same. Does the landlord have the building for sale and is still renting it out? My lab is in a huge bldg that would be hard for one group to need, so I'm somewhat safe, but I know it is for sale.

Are there any oddities or new regulations coming from the municipal, county, state gov't that will change or impact the assumption that business will continue as it always has.
Hard surface taxes(rain absorbtion prevention tax-flooding) Noise ordinance changes for you zoned area, etc.

Buying a lab, if you are being serious as you should, requires all the pre-work and due dilligence of opening a lab, but with even more on top. You aren't just buying space, equipment, and hoping the trained techs will be good enough that you'll want to keep them.

You are buying all its debt, financial and political.
You are buying a brand, and all it's positive and negative associations.

[Edit: the import ants of proofreading]

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
@JMN ... ,ay accohnts busimess ine gojng accountd.

Well said.:confused:

I might be a jerk, but I bet you cant spell it. :D

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@JMN ... ,ay accohnts busimess ine gojng accountd.

Well said.:confused:

I might be a jerk, but I bet you cant spell it. :D
tAhnsk. Forgot to proofread and typing on tiny screen while walking.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a dental laboratory.
How would you guys consider price of lab?
The lab I am considering is my uncle's lab.
It has about 7-10 accounts.
I am going to ask for tax return, statements, account receivable, and account payable, etc..
He also wants to work until he retires.
He is good ceramist I can trust.
I also have to come up with his salary.
He recently purchased scanner, mill, and sintering.
They are on financing, so I wouldn't put that as value since I have to take the loan over.
Any suggestion or idea would be appreciated!!

Our friends at CAP put this together a bit ago. Might help you some.

http://cap-us.com/ebook-laboratory-valuation/

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Joon Hong, post: 264145, member: 19634"
I am reconsidering this and probably start from scratch[/QUOTE]

Consider this, unless you are a prodigy, not only at labwork, but in business, marketing, sales, management, dental husbandry and juggling, then count on a minimum of 5 years learning curve to get where your uncle already is: steady work from reliable accounts. You cannot buy time but you can buy experience, sometimes you develop your 'style' of what you want your lab to look like, by seeing how others do it wrong or different. All that to say, start on the foundation your uncle has, but do it on your terms. I would not want to be a newborn or even a 5 year old in this industry, the way things are heading.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I think thats what Im saying, who knows where things are heading...? Maybe not the best time to start from scratch.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
I think thats what Im saying, who knows where things are heading...? Maybe not the best time to start from scratch.

I could not disagree more :)

3 years old and growing as fast as we can keep control of....
It's a great time to be a new lab in this industry..
IF
you have the will,
the money,
and the right people willing to join you.

but isn't that always true? :p

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I am considering buying a dental laboratory.
How would you guys consider price of lab?
The lab I am considering is my uncle's lab.
It has about 7-10 accounts.
I am going to ask for tax return, statements, account receivable, and account payable, etc..
He also wants to work until he retires.
He is good ceramist I can trust.
I also have to come up with his salary.
He recently purchased scanner, mill, and sintering.
They are on financing, so I wouldn't put that as value since I have to take the loan over.
Any suggestion or idea would be appreciated!!

I wouldn't do it, in the end the two of you will end up in a fight over any of a number of things. Tell him you want to see the world then go work at another lab or open your own, you can help him find someone else to take over, but I wouldn't do this. Well, I'll amend that and say if the price is around $5000 I would buy, any higher and I would run.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I could not disagree more :)

3 years old and growing as fast as we can keep control of....
It's a great time to be a new lab in this industry..
IF
you have the will,
the money,
and the right people willing to join you.

but isn't that always true? :p

You can disagree but what you said only goes along with what I was saying. Three years ago isnt today, things change fast, hell a robot can do a Drs job. Maybe its better today to start a lab, I have no idea. If you have a bunch of money anything is possible. The fact is that the banks arent handing out money to people with no history to be able to compete with labs that are already well equipped. Your success is arbritrary as is mine and everyones here, lets see how well we all do if a war pops off. The world is a volatile place right now I dont think I need to explain that to anyone. Crowns are a luxury.