Roland DWX-52DC Dental Mill - what to think of?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Can you give us an update on your thoughts regarding this mill? I'm considering a purchase and am curious how the DC is working.
Hi!

I have it and when the milling machine is connected directly to the computer with USB, it works perfectly.

S

Streetglider1965

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, tehnik. So no issues with the disc changer?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Works as needed. Only thing that got me errors were situations, where direct sunlight was shining on the blocks so the barcode scanner did not read the block letters.... got that fixed by closing curtains.
Thanks for the response, tehnik. So no issues with the disc changer?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
the Disc Changer is pretty decent, i dont see any real issues there. I think there is additional programming we could do but I need to take the time to do so (like setting up back up burs if it detects a broken bur) etc etc

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I am having problems with milling 3shape files. A lot of chipping in the margins... I actually dont know any more what to do. I just remill them and hope for the best... No such problem with exocad files from my own system. Also problem with 3shape megagen files when scanned with scan body. Millbox recognizes everything in the hole but does not mill it deep enough... I have modified the files with meshmixer (solid) and even then it is not 100% guaranteed to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20171024_223445.jpg
    IMG_20171024_223445.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 51
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I am having problems with milling 3shape files. A lot of chipping in the margins... I actually dont know any more what to do. I just remill them and hope for the best... No such problem with exocad files from my own system. Also problem with 3shape megagen files when scanned with scan body. Millbox recognizes everything in the hole but does not mill it deep enough... I have modified the files with meshmixer (solid) and even then it is not 100% guaranteed to fit.
Did you check to see if your material parameters are the same/similar between setups.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
As I am no familiar with 3shape system, where to check the parameters? I need to ask the client to check them.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It is called margin line offset and margin extension, these are set in the control panel under each material and the corisppnding crown and coping need to match the material.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
These need to match with setting in millbox (sum3d)`?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Nope,but I have seen setting from one cad software be thinner then another even though set the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A

Aleksandra M.

Reaction score
Hey guys.
It has been a while that anyone mentioned Roland Dwx 52dc. Any thoughts after having it for a while? We got one and it works well.... and then it doesn't...

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
What are the problems? Currently I have a block changing door switch malfunctioning and it does not allow me to mill until the door is shut. The switch however is not working properly and it is not in the manufacturers stock also. It is getting worse by the day.

A

Aleksandra M.

Reaction score
First, out of nowhere we got an error. Puck holder moved to the back, turned, and stuck. After that all crowns were coming out wrong. Long story short - exchanged mill.
Now, traverser is not working and puck holder is tilted. Have Roland working on it.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
How many hours did you use the mill before the errors?

A

Aleksandra M.

Reaction score
one month first time, 3-4 months second time.

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
So if you had the chance again perhaps it is advisable to get the mill without the disc changer?
I have #3 dwx50 working day and night over 5 years no issues at all, a real workhorse.

A

Aleksandra M.

Reaction score
I have 50 to and I love it! but 52 is amazing too. I can start lots of work, leave it for the night, and in the morning it is finished. :)

Rainbow Machine

Rainbow Machine

Reaction score
I'm also looking for more feedback on the DWX-52, with or without the puck changer. I primarily would like to know:
- how many units of zirc per month are you pushing through the mill
- how many years have you had it
- any servicing or issues that you've had with it

I've had great success with 2 DWX-50's and a 51. I don't doubt that Roland still makes a quality mill in the 52, but I'm wanting to get some feedback before just continuing with another Roland.

Right now, we are pushing around 450-500 units of zirc per month through each of our 3 mills. The 50's we've had for 5-6 years, with spindle replacements after about 2000 hours. One of our 50's just had a complete overhaul due to parting line issues and z-axis issues but it was a reliable workhorse.

A

Aleksandra M.

Reaction score
I'm also looking for more feedback on the DWX-52, with or without the puck changer. I primarily would like to know:
- how many units of zirc per month are you pushing through the mill
- how many years have you had it
- any servicing or issues that you've had with it

I've had great success with 2 DWX-50's and a 51. I don't doubt that Roland still makes a quality mill in the 52, but I'm wanting to get some feedback before just continuing with another Roland.

Right now, we are pushing around 450-500 units of zirc per month through each of our 3 mills. The 50's we've had for 5-6 years, with spindle replacements after about 2000 hours. One of our 50's just had a complete overhaul due to parting line issues and z-axis issues but it was a reliable workhorse.

Hey.
What did you do with pating line issues on Roland 50? I am experiencing same issue right now and I have tried a lot of things already..
About Roland 52, I am having once again some issues with it. I love the mill once it is works but otherwise it is a lot of headache, and since it is newer mill, CAP (our supporter) doesn't know much about fixing it yet....

Rainbow Machine

Rainbow Machine

Reaction score
Hey.
What did you do with pating line issues on Roland 50? I am experiencing same issue right now and I have tried a lot of things already..
About Roland 52, I am having once again some issues with it. I love the mill once it is works but otherwise it is a lot of headache, and since it is newer mill, CAP (our supporter) doesn't know much about fixing it yet....

CAP used to know a great deal about the Rolands since, before they were bought out by Zahn, were the distributors and knew how to repair them. Perhaps the older CAP people who knew a lot were replaced by new tech support people who know very little.

Parting line issues can be caused by numerous things, unfortunately. I would first make sure the collet has been tightened per Roland's specifications (there's a Youtube video on it). If that has been done, then I would check to see how many hours are on the spindle. If its at or near or beyond 2000 hours, then a new spindle may be in order (those are around $1500 btw). If thats not it, the z, y, and/or x axis may be out of alignment. A repair tech should be able to evaluate it for that. To fix an axis issue could be as simple as replacing some tension wires, some pulleys, gears, or other simple components; or it could be as pricey and complex as replacing the spindle sled (sled, housing, holder, whatever its called). Thats all for the 50. The 51 doesn't have all those components and I have not experienced repairs for that yet; I think the 52 has the same build on the inside.

Top Bottom