3Shape Client Computer Has Slow Connection To Server

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we are having a bit of trouble. We are a small lab that has recently expanded our setup to include a Client computer so we can scan and design simultaneously using 3Shape. All seemed well at first, we set up the server and client pc's, got them connected, and was given the go ahead by our re-seller that it was ready for use.

However we immediately noticed that the client computer took a considerably much longer amount of time to start up, search for cases, actually close when the design window is closed, and export the CAM output. On our server pc all of this is essentially instantaneous. On our new client pc simply starting up takes 2 minutes, searching for a case takes up to 2 minutes, when a case closes it takes 3-5 minutes just to get done closing it out, and it usually takes another 2 minutes to export the CAM output. When you search for a case 3shape locks up and occasionally will give a pop up message sometimes 3 times in a single search, the message says: "One or more records could not be retrieved, this message box will close automatically in 5 seconds." When you export the CAM output the file is available almost instantly in the folder, but the client pc's 3shape stays locked up for about 2 minutes like its still trying to export the CAM output. This all makes it extremely difficult to get any work done and drastically hinders production. :(

We have contacted technically support 3 times and have done everything they said to do.The last time we contacted them they told us our set up was basically perfect and that if updating 3shape doesn't fix the issues we will just have to buy another dongle. Buying a new dongle doesn't sound like a solution to me since it should technically work just fine as it is. Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated, any ideas on a solution?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
There are several things that can help out.

1) Don't keep over 1000 orders in your database - that means you back them up monthly and delete them from your database to not clog it up.
2) Close all of your designed cases. The dental manager "looks" at each file that isn't closed. You can set it up to automatically close an order after a specific amount of time (ex. every 14 days).
3) Only run 3Shape on your client computer. Don't have music or any other resource sapping software running. 3Shape doesn't like to give up resources.
4) Only have materials, implant libraries in your system you work with. If you don't use someone to outsource to anymore, delete all of their materials, manufacturing processes, everything linked to their system out of yours. 3Shape also "looks" at that when it starts up and is running.
5) Clients run slower than server computers sochange your expectations for client computers. It's like being directly wired in vs. having a wireless connection, so don't expect the same results.
6) Have a good computer to handle 3Shape. I suggest buying one with their specs and wouldn't go with minimum suggestions. I'd get more than what they suggest for since future 3Shape software releases tend to be reliant on more and more beefy systems.

Anything else guys?
@CoolHandLuke @Sevan P

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
7) DO NOT add everyones materials and implants and be ubercompatible. every single order loads every single material everysingle time. you get stupid slow especially when you have anatomy libraries coming out the wazoo.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You didn't say, so I wanna make sure of the following:

You are doing this over wire, good cat5e cable.

Your cable runs are well under 300 feet (300 ft is the theroetical max distance)

There are no places that the cable is running behind, beside or with electrically noisy equipment or it's cables for power.

The cables plastic jacket was checked for tears or cuts which could remove the ground jacket or cause a secondary ground point if the metal shielding/grond jacket touches metal-like a windowframe or drop ceiling frame.

There are no sharp hard bends or kinks on the cable run which could stress the wire inside.

Sounds stupid simple, but data cable pulling is not the same as electrical.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick responses! :)

1) We currently have well below 1000 orders in the database.
2) Could you explain this in more detail? Does an order not close when you close out the window?
3) Our client has nothing installed / running except a web browser, teamviewer(for support),and 3shape.
4) Didn't know this, we will correct that ASAP
5) I don't expect the same results, It just isn't even feasible to try to use the client right now. it adds about 10 minutes a case and that is too big of a drain on production.
6) Our client computer is a very good pc, custom built all brand new around a year ago.
7) Is this the same as 4? if so I could really use some more info about this.

Thank you all again for your help. Hoping to get this under control soon.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
You didn't say, so I wanna make sure of the following:

You are doing this over wire, good cat5e cable.

Your cable runs are well under 300 feet (300 ft is the theroetical max distance)

There are no places that the cable is running behind, beside or with electrically noisy equipment or it's cables for power.

The cables plastic jacket was checked for tears or cuts which could remove the ground jacket or cause a secondary ground point if the metal shielding/grond jacket touches metal-like a windowframe or drop ceiling frame.

There are no sharp hard bends or kinks on the cable run which could stress the wire inside.

Sounds stupid simple, but data cable pulling is not the same as electrical.

Thank You for the suggestion! All of our cable is Cat6 and the distance is well below 300 feet (more like 10 feet). No bends or kinks and the cables are in relatively good condition. The only thing is the Cat6 cable does cross over a considerable amount of electrical cables. Could this be the issue? Both computers internet connection is fine, file transfers work fine. Its only when using 3shape that we get any issues at all. Thoughts?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Dental System Control Panel>General, then scroll to the bottom and check the box and change it to whatever time you're comfortable with.

So, once the files are closed, your system will not look at them as part of the database when it opens. You still have all the files there and can reset it to designed if you need to pull CAM files from it in the future. Closing orders will pretty much have 3Shape just "overlook" these files if you will.

Closing Orders.png

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yes, 7 is the same as 4.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
Dental System Control Panel>General, then scroll to the bottom and check the box and change it to whatever time you're comfortable with.

So, once the files are closed, your system will not look at them as part of the database when it opens. You still have all the files there and can reset it to designed if you need to pull CAM files from it in the future. Closing orders will pretty much have 3Shape just "overlook" these files if you will.

View attachment 27176

Okay so designing an order and closing the window is NOT actually "Closing" the case? Is there a way to tell if an order is closed and is there a way to close manually?
Thank you, I think you may be on to something.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score

View attachment 27176

Never mind my last post, i found what you are talking about, do you know of anyway to close all of the orders that were entered before a certain date? No one ever taught me about closing the cases, and i don't think anyone here even knows you need to do that. We have never closed a case in 3Shape and its been years (though we wiped and reloaded everything last year.) That sounds pretty important! :oops:

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
Hi don't know how comfortable you are with installing a second network card on your stations. we have had some success with a gigabit crossover cable for doing server and client. but we have made it work with gigabit in the building at that lab too. we just made sure our routers and switches all are high speed gigabit. theres my 2 cents ;)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank You for the suggestion! All of our cable is Cat6 and the distance is well below 300 feet (more like 10 feet). No bends or kinks and the cables are in relatively good condition. The only thing is the Cat6 cable does cross over a considerable amount of electrical cables. Could this be the issue? Both computers internet connection is fine, file transfers work fine. Its only when using 3shape that we get any issues at all. Thoughts?
If moving large files back and forth, no stuttering on videos etc works swimingly, then its not your cabling. Never hurts to check.

Sounds like the geniuses found your issue though.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
c84.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
OP, are you a reseller, if so why dont you know this stuff? I mean I know thats how 3shape support is, but if you have to come here to ask?..

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
OP, are you a reseller, if so why dont you know this stuff? I mean I know thats how 3shape support is, but if you have to come here to ask?..

Years ago when I was hired I had no previous experience in this field at all. The man who trained me in 3shape and most of everything else honestly did not know alot on how to use it either. We have always known just enough to be able to do what we needed to do, and have learned more over the past couple of years, but we have never had any kind of formal training on 3shape. I don't even know if the man who trained me had any in depth training at all.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
So i have gone through and closed a significant number of orders and we are still having the issue. Could someone give me an example of about how long these tasks should take on a client computer?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Never mind my last post, i found what you are talking about, do you know of anyway to close all of the orders that were entered before a certain date? No one ever taught me about closing the cases, and i don't think anyone here even knows you need to do that. We have never closed a case in 3Shape and its been years (though we wiped and reloaded everything last year.) That sounds pretty important! :oops:

Look at my post. If you set a time to "close" the files, it will call all of the ones older than the days you set.

Timmy

Timmy

Reaction score
yep. same problem in my lab. It's network problem. Change your router. ;)

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i think you should call your reseller - we have a 20+ client setup and don't have this issue.....

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
We have 10+ client setup and it runs pretty quickly on a Gigabit LAN. Even with 10,022 cases in the DB, huge mess of 3rd party DMEs, and not closing cases.