Employment Agreement

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to hire some help here so I talked to an attorney about a non-compete for potential employees to sign. She mentioned that I should also think about an employee agreement. Do any of you do this? If so, what kind of things do you put in it?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'd think it'd be something like a handbook the larger companies have. Expectations, dress code, excused absence vs unexcused, penalties for business interrupting infractions, if they'll be driving, a random drug test policy, whatever you would want to be prohibited. Lay it all out and get them to sign that they have received and read a copy and are aware that it is not a suggestion, but the rules.

I worked at a place once that actually had in the manual that all employees were required to shower or bathe using soap, shampoo and deoderant, every workday. I don't want to know how bad it got that it was needed to put that in writing.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to hire some help here so I talked to an attorney about a non-compete for potential employees to sign. She mentioned that I should also think about an employee agreement. Do any of you do this? If so, what kind of things do you put in it?
A general employment agreement should be consistent with your states law regarding employment and intellectual property. An agreement should include company information confidential, and potential inventions as company property while employed.
However, a non-compete clause while upon the employees departure from your company is very onerous and might not be legally binding in your state.

I would tell any employer that has a non-compete agreement to "GO FLY A KITE".

Just my two cents.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Hey guys,

By the way, I have a disdain for attorneys, accept some patent ones. Attorneys only perpetuate the need for attorneys to make money.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Inclusion of HIPPA regulations privacy requirements and the need for understanding that is a good idea to include. What happens when...

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
By the way, I have a disdain for attorneys, accept some patent ones. Attorneys only perpetuate the need for attorneys to make money.
i share your opinion on that. but they have become a necessary evil in the world we live in. a non compete contract in my state will be upheld if the time and distance is reasonable.....i'd rather have one in place. just in case.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Inclusion of HIPPA regulations privacy requirements and the need for understanding that is a good idea to include. What happens when...
that's a good one...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'd tell anyone that wanted me to sign a non compete clause to pi$$ off, but I'm like that.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Unless you are grooming someone to take over, and are paying them well a non compete is a deterrent for a good tech. Especially if they live close to the lab.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Non compete agreements usually are meant for someone you are buying an existing lab from.....New employees are employees for a reason. They cannot afford or do not want to get bogged down in a lease...The best protection against competitors is your quality control, presentation, pricing, and of course how you handle special requests...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
non-competes i think are only valid while they are in your employ. once they are terminated for whatever reason, you cannot stop them from making a livable wage. intellectual asset protection is important though, and a simple employment agreement should suffice. up to you if you want an attorney to review it.