Green state zirconia in ultrasonic?

J

John C

Reaction score
Im wondering what everyones process is between milling and sintering. After removing sprues and cleaning up units in green state, do you run though ultrasonic cleaner in distilled water and then dry in toaster oven or food dehydrator before coloring ? Or do you just clean off loose zirconia by blowing off with compressed air and then color. Im new doing this on my own but in former lab they cleaned in ultrasonic and then dried. Just want to get more opinions on what works best.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I used to ultrasonic, but then left one in for a little too long and it disappeared.

Now, I just use a stenciling brush I got from Michael's or Hobby Lobby to loosen the dust, so it will come off with the compressed air. If possible do this in a dust box with suction to keep the dust from going everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I used to ultrasonic, but then left one in for a little too long and it disappeared.

Now, I just use a stenciling brush I got from Michael's or Hobby Lobby to loosen the dust, so it will come off with the compressed air. If possible do this in a dust box with suction to keep the dust from going everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I agree with Patrick. No ultrasonic, no compressed air, just a slightly stiff brush. You will know if you are debris free after sintering. If you will have a whitish film on the crowns you need to do a better job. If not white film you are good to go

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Why no air bob? Contaminants? We blow the living sh!t out of our units into a suction box I made, Of course we have a dryer and double desiccated and partial separators inline prior to the blow gun.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Why no air bob? Contaminants? We blow the living sh!t out of our units into a suction box I made, Of course we have a dryer and double desiccated and partial separators inline prior to the blow gun.
We find the zi dust to be almost sticky and have had incomplete cleaning with air only. I think you should try your current process and then brush out the crowns. In our facility, we use air then a brush. We can see the powder coming off the crowns with the 2nd brush clean step. That said, perhaps we have more humidity in the air than you do in CA.
John, if possible please post your findings.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
no no no no no ultrasonic.ive seen ultrasonic cleaners break veneers just imagine what it would do to green zi

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Brush off then compressed air. Experimented with ultrasonic ( to many broke),and other methods. Brush off then air is simple, fast and effective.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Ive never had an issue with using an ultra sonic. I just leave it in for 5 minutes. They are also set on a soft cloth at the bottom of the beaker so they aren't "bouncing" on a hard surface

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Same as John, air gun, blast the snot out of it (and also using a brush). I had never even heard of of this idea until this tread, or thought to consider putting a green state zirconia in a ultrasonic o_O

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
The R & D team at Katana recommends an ultrasonic bath. They don't speak for every Zirc manufacturer. But for Katana, the ultrasonic bath does not have any negative effects or change the properties of their zirconia. This being said, it only needs 10-20 second ultra sonic cleaning to loosen and remove the fine dust left on the restoration. So, air blast, ultra sonic, rinse, dry.

M

moli831

Reaction score
at the last lab I worked at, we mildly brushed off the pucks prior to removing from miller (helps to keep miller arm clean to prevent retaining screws from stripping/locking on). Then the disks were put in a sandblasting cabinet (repurposed to contain the zirconia dust) to be blown off with compressed air hose while brushing anatomy and interior of restoration. Next, units were cut and the sprue smoothed off, blown off again, then put in the ultrasonic for 5 minutes...small container with plastic grate inside (never had one break or chip). Once ultrasonic cycle was done, the restorations were blown off once more then put in a microwave for 10 minutes, then placed under a heat lamp for another 15 minutes, dipped( yeah, I know...been a little while, then under the heat lamp once again for 20 minutes. restorations were then sintered in 6 hour cycle, 125+ units.
At this lab, they just cut them out and blown them off once, before sintering. minimal issues with dust affecting fits...nothing a diamond burr could not fix.

Top Bottom