Denturist
Reaction score
I don't think he is responding to you. :D

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
lol!

so anybody know what the sticky tape is for??
hair removal... :confused:

T

twaite

Reaction score
isn't all tape sticky?? No I think it is for covering the teeth so you don't accidently pumic them.

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
No, try it, it costs 2 cents. Sticky tape on wax means you don't bite into wax with bur. heat then bend small bur, small small offset, polish the tip, then stipple away. Leaves tiny indents like real gum, they are easy to clean as they are arcs not divets. And if you stain your acrylic, the red colour in these stipples looks ace. It Sounds too good to be true? Just try it, experiment a but. You must polish the tip and have offset about 0.5mm. Feedback please, I'd love to know if I explain it well. Me email is username. Send question or better even pictures of your results. You'll love it

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Lovely Avatar. You wear that to do your stippling?

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
First of all I don't stipple. it takes me less time to simply carve in the anatomy which looks better and is easier to clean for the patient.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I don't either, I carve the anatomy in the wax and use small Robinson brush to stipple in the wax. i almost never have to touch finish out more than the border with anything other than pumice and high shine.

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
i like to handle the wax as if it were play-doe. putting on just what i need and no more.
keeping all carving to a minimum.

heat strips under a flame and mold them into place... works great

A

alanklen

Reaction score
Don't carve. Wax it up how you want it to look. Or at least get it close and then touch it up with the carver. Your hands will thank you. Whip mix has a free webinar about waxing on their website that is good for beginners. You will find plenty of tips and tricks in that webinar.
It's better idea for improvement,thanks for sharing this.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I gotta ask. Its been my experience that the docs almost always want a certain amount of undercut removed for path of insertion. If you wax to a finished thickness, Im assuming you always leave full undercuts? Ive always overwaxed to an extent to give myself some relief material. Whats right, whats wrong?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Immediates I wax and remove undercuts with bur after processing sometimes it ends up being transparent thin, if not an immediate I give them exactly what they give me.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I gotta ask. Its been my experience that the docs almost always want a certain amount of undercut removed for path of insertion. If you wax to a finished thickness, Im assuming you always leave full undercuts? Ive always overwaxed to an extent to give myself some relief material. Whats right, whats wrong?
You have to be able to get the baseplate on and off, so you need to block-out the excess undercuts on the working model with block-out putty, play-doh or wonderfill enough so you don't break the models or the baseplates. If the undercuts are more than 2mm, that's an oral surgery situation; a little blockout goes a long way. If you can get the baseplate on and off the models, you should have enough acrylic to reduce for the undercuts.
I do immediates like JKarver said, except I also put an extra thichness of baseplate wax over the cuspid eminences, I seen many patients swell up a little more there, so it nice to have some room to adjust later. Try and get to know how your Doctors work, some do more bone trimming than others, some like to adjust a bit, and some want a drop-in.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
You have to be able to get the baseplate on and off, so you need to block-out the excess undercuts on the working model with block-out putty, play-doh or wonderfill enough so you don't break the models or the baseplates. If the undercuts are more than 2mm, that's an oral surgery situation; a little blockout goes a long way. If you can get the baseplate on and off the models, you should have enough acrylic to reduce for the undercuts.
I do immediates like JKarver said, except I also put an extra thichness of baseplate wax over the cuspid eminences, I seen many patients swell up a little more there, so it nice to have some room to adjust later. Try and get to know how your Doctors work, some do more bone trimming than others, some like to adjust a bit, and some want a drop-in.

Just so I'm following, you'd be processing to a blocked out duplicate model, correct?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Just so I'm following, you'd be processing to a blocked out duplicate model, correct?
You could, there are more than one way to skin a cat.
Budgenator was saying when you make dentures you need to have the baseplate come on and off. You cannot have a baseplate lock into an undercut and remove it without damaging the cast.
It is a personal preference if you process to a blocked out duplicate model or not.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...]
I do immediates like JKarver said, except I also put an extra thichness of baseplate wax over the cuspid eminences, I seen many patients swell up a little more there, so it nice to have some room to adjust later.
That's a trick I'm definately using. Thanks!