Wieland Mini and Wieland Select Networked together.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
So my question to you Wieland guru's. Since I just started using the Wieland line of mills and CAM from VHF I have a few questions for you. The gang at troy MI said that there is no way to use the same blanks on the mini in the select dry, the archive will corrupt if you try. Is this true?

I know on my VHF CAM i can share the blanks across multiple mills and cam with no issue. I have gotten the Mini and my VHF 4k on the same page since they are the same mill and CNC controller I can cam on the Wieland and mill on both VHF and Mini with ease, but those blanks I create in the Mini CAM from what Wieland tells me can not be used in the 5axis. I have a hybrid select with advanced cam and can cam on there to cut on my VHF S1, But I would like to have them all use the same blanks IF possible, if not then I go down the split road.

I know I will have to get the second seat on the mini dongle to run both mills off one PC but the blanks are my biggest hurdle.

Also If I export the .3 Tool & Strategy from the Advanced cam into the normal CAM will it work for the .3?
Trying to avoid purchasing the advanced cam on the mini dongle.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
So my question to you Wieland guru's. Since I just started using the Wieland line of mills and CAM from VHF I have a few questions for you. The gang at troy MI said that there is no way to use the same blanks on the mini in the select dry, the archive will corrupt if you try. Is this true?

I know on my VHF CAM i can share the blanks across multiple mills and cam with no issue. I have gotten the Mini and my VHF 4k on the same page since they are the same mill and CNC controller I can cam on the Wieland and mill on both VHF and Mini with ease, but those blanks I create in the Mini CAM from what Wieland tells me can not be used in the 5axis. I have a hybrid select with advanced cam and can cam on there to cut on my VHF S1, But I would like to have them all use the same blanks IF possible, if not then I go down the split road.

I know I will have to get the second seat on the mini dongle to run both mills off one PC but the blanks are my biggest hurdle.

Also If I export the .3 Tool & Strategy from the Advanced cam into the normal CAM will it work for the .3?
Trying to avoid purchasing the advanced cam on the mini dongle.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I tried creating a common material folder and then pointing both mills to it. It seems like the select is saving the blanks differently then the mini? I'm not sure if it's an advanced Cam thing or not? I have advanced on the select and basic on the mini. The blanks and all their info shows up correctly in the folder I had made. The mini saw it's blanks and the select saw the ones it saved, but neither could see the other. I looked more into it and they seem to save differently. I had no help from Troy. I received the same answer you did.

Hopefully someone has figured a way to save the blank I do in the same format or whatever the system is looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I told them that was lame. I know how to run multiple 5axis off on one cam but why they did this, beats me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I told them that was lame. I know how to run multiple 5axis off on one cam but why they did this, beats me.

They told me they were worried about people caming a job for the mini and then running it on the select etc..

All I know is it's a PITA with discs. Need to be able to share materials between machines.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Let me know if you figure it out, I gave up

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
The only way I think it would be possible is to use a software called peekthrough. It make the top window transparent so you can see the under layer window.

I use this when trying to cam around a old disk that is not in the archive.

You open the disks bmp or jpeg file to show where the units have been cut. Vhf cam makes a bmp file of the previous cut units in the disk. Then I open the new disk and overlay the two and cam the units accordingly. It is easy but you need to navigate to the image file first and open it.

Not as easy via software sharing the blanks.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have an easier solution, I am selling the mini and buying another mill :)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
And what are you getting!???

M

mptz

Reaction score
can you use the vhf software on the weiland

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
can you use the vhf software on the weiland
They both use the same cnc controller, but if you got a mini and wieland cam, why would you want to use the vhf cam? It is slower. I run both my mini and k4 on the wieland cam along with my vhf s1 off my hybrid select cam.

M

mptz

Reaction score
Only backup Seven in case computer goes down but you are right have you seen dental cam 7 from vhf written not by them I heard but a well known company um3d

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
we have two selects and tried to go the shared folder route, but it was still a pain. The folder contents weren't constantly updating so the CAM's would find the pucks and the software needs to be exactly the same or the CNC/mills don't like it for some reason. We gave up and run separate pucks. Wieland was no help.

We also have Taladium's version of the mill which is much more open and they have been very helpful. I can CAM on the wieland and mill on the taladium if I want. It's still not super straight forward so we mostly keep things segregated by machine.

SmartLabJon

SmartLabJon

Reaction score
I swear another guy local to me said you can CAM from one PC to both the Mini AND the Select if you are running the advanced software on both machines. Not sure about using the same pucks between both mills however. If I talk to him soon I'll ask! He likes to stay up all night making custom milling strategies so this is up his alley lol.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
we have two selects and tried to go the shared folder route, but it was still a pain. The folder contents weren't constantly updating so the CAM's would find the pucks and the software needs to be exactly the same or the CNC/mills don't like it for some reason. We gave up and run separate pucks. Wieland was no help.

We also have Taladium's version of the mill which is much more open and they have been very helpful. I can CAM on the wieland and mill on the taladium if I want. It's still not super straight forward so we mostly keep things segregated by machine.
I cam both my mini and k4 of the wieland advanced cam for the mini. I basically went on the k4 cnc transfer folder and shared it on the network. Then on the mini I navigated to the k4 shared folder and marked it in the favorite folder quick access. And then marked the mind's cnc transfer folder 4 in the quick access as well.

After the Cam is ready I simply send it to the holder folder, let it process ut5and it pops up in the mini cnc controller. I then simply cut that created folder in the mini cnc transfer folder and paste it in the vhf cnc transfer fokde4 and instantly pops up and ready to mill.

The exact same thing can be done with two wieland selects or s1. But my buddy said on the disk changer version once loaded into a puck location it has to be placed in the same location in the other mill. A bit harder to move locations.

So you can run multiple mills off if one cam, just requires moving of the cnc folder.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I swear another guy local to me said you can CAM from one PC to both the Mini AND the Select if you are running the advanced software on both machines. Not sure about using the same pucks between both mills however. If I talk to him soon I'll ask! He likes to stay up all night making custom milling strategies so this is up his alley lol.
As long as the mini has the newest version of the wieland cam and is the advanced cam you can add a second seat cam for the mini, select or select with disk changer for for under 800.00.

So off one cam you can mill on the mini and select. BUT you still will have two seperate disks mini and select. One pc to cam but two different blank archives.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
We had the same issues too. Got a great deal on some AG mills now we run 2 mikro's a motion and motion 2 all from one computer and one CAM and they all use the same puck list so we can mill on any machine and use the same pucks so no need for separate libraries. Its really nice not having to keep pucks separate.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I was told yesterday that I can buy a second license for the advanced Cam on my select. I can use it to run the mini off of the same Cam as the select and share the materials. You can run up to four machines off that one Cam.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yes, if you already have the advanced cam then too can add another seat for either mini or select, but if you add the mini the blanks will NOT be interchangeable each mill has its own id set for blanks. I already went threw this. But if you find a way let use know.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
this is precisely one of the three reasons I have never wanted or chosen to go with ivoclar VHF. I had the pleasure of working with the VHF guys when the 4K and 5K dry had first been introduced to the US - and the questions and issues that I ran into that they were not willing to fix was just... well it left a bad enough taste that I refused to do any business with VHF.

Fast forward to IDS - we bought a PM7

Top Bottom