Remote CAD design overseas

D

Digital_K

Reaction score
So I just found out my Wife and I will be moving to Germany for her Job. I am Lab Tech who's been designing for the last 8 years. Does anyone know of anyone I can get in contact with about designing for labs here in America. I figure it could be beneficial for labs to send me cases in Germany I could have units designed and ready for them the next day. Is there a company already doing something like this? or is there a Lab looking to hire someone for such a situation?

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
Hello!

Can you use sirona inlab?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Why on earth would you look for work in america when living in germany? This is like looking for work from china when living in the US. I made $600+/ unit in europe..

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Digital_K - congrats on the move!

I would look at German labs first before looking for per unit designs in the states.

Secondly, you will either want to invest in your own dongle, or if you are only planning on working for a particular lab - have them buy you a dongle. It is significantly easier than any sort of VPN or remote connection and more reliable.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
going to go ahead and say German may not be a language Digital_K already knows enough to speak or read a script.

and at the same time german DDS may not wish to do business in english only.

so i should think it prudent to look for work in english.

not that i have anything else to add. just pointing out what i assumed would be obvious.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
going to go ahead and say German may not be a language Digital_K already knows enough to speak or read a script.

and at the same time german DDS may not wish to do business in english only.

so i should think it prudent to look for work in english.

not that i have anything else to add. just pointing out what i assumed would be obvious.
Dude! You took my job!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
vlw8NUg.png

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no i think i beat that drum any more and i might lose something i care about.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If youre not willing to learn the language, you probably shouldnt be there.. actually, you definitely should not be there...

It puts you in a group of people as CHL illustrated.. Having 'been there, done that' I can speak volumes to this, but first and foremost is.. youre NOT in kansas anymore, so act accordingly.

Where in germany are you moving?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
If youre not willing to learn the language, you probably shouldnt be there.. actually, you definitely should not be there...
That's true for every place on earth...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
For English to German, you're better off learning the Anti-cognates and working from there. English is much more a Germanic language than a Romance language, so it'll feel familiar.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
For English to German, you're better off learning the Anti-cognates and working from there. English is much more a Germanic language than a Romance language, so it'll feel familiar.
They say intelligence skips a generation and here's proof...My son was in engineering and 3rd year decided to do a year in Germany. Took a year to learn to speak and read German then...went for a year there, in German, subject : Rocket Science. Passed with above 80 avg. Very proud but enough said [emoji54]

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

D

Digital_K

Reaction score
I was thinking I could just do a bunch of unit designs part time, and go back to school and get another degree. I also figured it would be easier Tax wise to work for an American company. moving to Stuttgart

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
They say intelligence skips a generation and here's proof...My son was in engineering and 3rd year decided to do a year in Germany. Took a year to learn to speak and read German then...went for a year there, in German, subject : Rocket Science. Passed with above 80 avg. Very proud but enough said [emoji54]

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
That's amazing! Definately a subject worthy of study there

Took me 5 years to muscle through 4 years worth of HS Spanish.
I think Mom's side skipped her, but Dad's didn't, so got 50/50 at least. I was always baffled that she can be both an RN and unable to snap 9v batteries onto their cord...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Just remember, the US is the only country on the planet that will require you, as a citizen abroad, to file and pay taxes.. Can you say double-taxation? I think if youre under 75k youre ok though.

German is a really tough language, Ive been passively learning for 8 years now and I wouldn't consider myself fluent. Intensive study and total immersion, meaning, you stop speaking English when you get there, is the best way to learn. Although in Stuttgart I'm positive you will hear a lot of americans speaking English. In fact you will probably want to brush up on your Arabic too..Laugh Seriously though.

German labs will probably be open to bringing you in to work, but expect a more intense environment than in the US. In many places its common to find small labs looking for a 'nachfolger' or someone to take over the business when the owner retires. I can give you some links if you want, including a german-english dental term page.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Stuttgart so maybe call Andreas CEO of Anaxdent he knows everything and i am sure he understands you.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If anyone gives you a pair of socks while you're there (very common) PM me, I can tell you how to say "Thanks for the socks", in German.
I can count to ten too.
It isn't bragging if you can do it.

Last edited:
Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Digital_K - congrats on the move!

I would look at German labs first before looking for per unit designs in the states.

Secondly, you will either want to invest in your own dongle, or if you are only planning on working for a particular lab - have them buy you a dongle. It is significantly easier than any sort of VPN or remote connection and more reliable.
Is there an ExoCAD option for remote dongle license. Could I allow someone with ExoCAD software remotely access my license?
Kind of like a cloud licensing setup.