Well that sucked!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Walked into the lab this morning, typical routine...turn on lights and what do I see over by the sintering furnace? A shlt load of beads all over the place...and a few sintered crowns on the floor as well. I'm like what happened?....and where's the sintering tray? Look up in the sintering oven and taaa daaaa....the tray is cracked, broke, fubar'd, and still wedged up near the elements. Not sure what caused it, but any suggestions?...other than i placed the sintering tray on table riser wrong. Poor apprentice is still picking up beads...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Cigarette load in the tray?

Really, the only thing really possible aside from physical stress overloading from the insertion impropriety as you suggest would be a contaminant of some high expansion type on/in the cracks that caused catastrophic deformation.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Cigarette load in the tray?

Really, the only thing really possible aside from physical stress overloading from the insertion impropriety as you suggest would be a contaminant of some high expansion type on/in the cracks that caused catastrophic deformation.
The ten crowns came out great...they sintered correctly.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Does your furnace open automatically when the cycle is finished?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Walked in to a burned out element in the sinter oven... feel ya brother :banghead:

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
This happened to me before. I think something went wrong, or i went wrong, and the tray was cooled far too fast. Maybe it was a cheap tray. And maybe nows a good time to ask. Should I expect sintering trays to develop hairline fractures all over them over time? Cause this is what I experience.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Sucks.
Is this something that could cause a fire ?

J

J Pierce

Reaction score
Sucks.
That was my first thought!!! Really lucky that the lab is still standing? Scary S&*#!! Glad everything is ok, besides a lot work to be redone..

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Sucks.
Don't see it as a likely event. The tray shrapnel would have to cut through the electrical connection and then a spark would have to ignite flammable material inside the oven which the manufacturer would have been sure to keep out of proximity to the elements.

So the furnace would have to be next to flammable material and the tray shrapnel break with enough force to exit the shell in a way that would somehow keep heat focused on a consumable material nearby and the oven's electronics not throw a fit for how much heat it's loosing.

Basically, yeah it could happen, one day a flying pig did stop all air traffic at Heathrow airport.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Sucks.
I thought that at first, but for the oven to even open it must be a cool 100 C. Doubt that would start a fire, might warm your toes though :(

N

NickB

Reaction score
Walked into the lab this morning, typical routine...turn on lights and what do I see over by the sintering furnace? A shlt load of beads all over the place...and a few sintered crowns on the floor as well. I'm like what happened?....and where's the sintering tray? Look up in the sintering oven and taaa daaaa....the tray is cracked, broke, fubar'd, and still wedged up near the elements. Not sure what caused it, but any suggestions?...other than i placed the sintering tray on table riser wrong. Poor apprentice is still picking up beads...

This happened to us as well once. It was our first time running the "quick cycle" which is 6 hours instead of 12 hours. Tray broke, bead everywhere, but the crowns did not sinter properly though. We just never used to quick cycle again. Sticking with regular long cycle and it never happened again