3D printer for ortho lab

E

eevee

Reaction score
We are currently looking for a 3D printer. We are a small orthodontic laboratory and hoping to use the printer for making models. What are some good 3D printers out there that are on the cheaper side and will give a heat resistant models (due to soldering)?

To those who have experience with 3D printers, how hard is it to fit a molar band on the molars of the model? Do you have to trim the sides using the software or do you trim it once the model comes out of the printer?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres a lot to unpack here. lets start off simple.

theres three ways to make digital models. 1. scan the patient using trios, planscan, etc. 2. scan an impression. 3. scan a model pulled from an impression. obviously the 3rd way is most useless to you.

in both other cases though you will need computer aoftware to turn 1sided data into 3dimensional models. this will take some time because most systems dont work well with holes in the scan. digital systems can be really accurate but not if the user is sloppy with the scan.

now lets assume you get a model printed. there are a few different tools you can use to lay down solder. some involve fire. all models will be some form of plastic. all plastic deforms under fire. see where im going with this? i bet yoh dont...

to do digital models means you need to go heatless. laserwelding. some will disagree but i know of no model material capable of withstanding microtorch heat nor yet deflecting the heat as it needs to be absorbed by the band.

if at this point you still want an answer based on the above information i will give you one. but if its going to be of no use then i bid you welcome to the forum and i hope you find what you are looking for.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dupe your printed model and solder on the stone.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
more or less defeats the purpose though.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
more or less defeats the purpose though.
You millennials have to learn how to accept defeat.

p

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I will say in our experience, we bought our printers to start specifically for our orthodontic lab. We use a Hydrogen Micro Torch to solder Hawleys, Hyraxs, alfs, Nances, and any number of banded appliances with no issue. They do burn and blacken but we have had very few to no issues with fit to the doctor. (Other than scan deformation because of quality of provided scan)

We even prep for bands directly on the printed model, using a bur to trim the tissue and fit the band. We use an Eden 260v for all our models (It is a more expensive machine) and haven't tested the smaller Form2 or other materials for soldering or bands so unfortunately I cant say to other brands, but ours works great for all our ortho needs.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
This all being said we also do use a Laser Welder too, just remembered... but we use that for our custom screws and some more delicate wire appliances. Once we get everyone trained on it I doubt we will use the flame as much, just on rushs

Top Bottom