Milling Quality

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I know little about milling. The machine set up. Strategies , etc. Anyways , When sending to different milling centers I do see a difference in surface textures. Anywhere from light mill lines to a surface that is sorta orange peel. Is this the result of the machine , its tools, programming, etc ? Other things I'm not aware of ? Thanks..

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Milling centers are geared towards production, what you're getting is deemed good enough, cut in the shortest time possible...hence surface finish is not ideal. There's not much you could do other than using their settings.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Milling centers are geared towards production, what you're getting is deemed good enough,

That begs the question: Which outsource center offers the best price/quality balance?

M

user name

user name

Reaction score
I know little about milling. The machine set up. Strategies , etc. Anyways , When sending to different milling centers I do see a difference in surface textures. Anywhere from light mill lines to a surface that is sorta orange peel. Is this the result of the machine , its tools, programming, etc ? Other things I'm not aware of ? Thanks..
You don't realize what your missing. You not only could be experiencing better surface quality, you are also having to be content with their coloring processes. Un less you are getting in the ring to compete with low price, theres no way you can elevate quality unless you have control. When you get your own mill, your mind will quickly be stunned by what you've been missing. Choose your own materials. Color them your self. Its the only way.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
That begs the question: Which outsource center offers the best price/quality balance?

M
That's a good question, I don't outsource...so I cannot comment. Might want to send the same file/Rx to various places then compare the results... When we purchased our first scanner, did try quite a few milling centers and I didn't liked any of them...that prompted us get out own mill soon after.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
That's a good question, I don't outsource...so I cannot comment. Might want to send the same file/Rx to various places then compare the results... When we purchased our first scanner, did try quite a few milling centers and I didn't liked any of them...that prompted us get out own mill soon after.

I agree, that is the right solution, eventually ...

user name

user name

Reaction score
I agree, that is the right solution, eventually ...
If you just outsource 2 crowns a day and are paying 40 bucks each, that's about 1600 dollars a month. You could finance a mill and sinter oven for that easy. Then your quality goes up, word spreads and you get more work.

Follow the yellow brick road.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Well, I do actually quite a bit more than that. And I have to agree with you, again. Quality wise that is the way to go! What I don't have is the manpower. Although, that is the next item on my 'to do' list.

M

Mark Blyumin

Reaction score
If you just outsource 2 crowns a day and are paying 40 bucks each, that's about 1600 dollars a month. You could finance a mill and sinter oven for that easy. Then your quality goes up, word spreads and you get more work.

Follow the yellow brick road.
Learning milling and coloring zirconia is great if you are not one man show like I am and producing around 95 PFM and about 15 Z crowns per month.
It is time consuming and is very expensive. I do not mill any more.
I use Argen digital. But if you have the time and $, than go for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Learning milling and coloring zirconia is great if you are not one man show like I am and producing around 95 PFM and about 15 Z crowns per month.
It is time consuming and is very expensive. I do not mill any more.
I use Argen digital. But if you have the time and $, than go for it.

Im a one man show too. Its time saving and very cost effective, as in profitable. When I quit using Argen and started doing my own, quality went up, costs went down, word spread and my income more than doubled.

user name

user name

Reaction score
emoji4.png
smile2.gif

Attachments

• smile2.gif
    smile2.gif
    793.4 KB · Views: 25
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Sorry User, can't see gif...

M

Mark Blyumin

Reaction score
Was not my experience at all.
I am glad that you have done it successfully. It is great!!!

user name

user name

Reaction score
We're already off track on the threads topic, so I was just goofing around. I had suggested to a member some time back that he animate his avatar because it was kinda cool, but he said Travis limits the file size, so...

I was just messing with this...
http://ezgif.com/resize

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
We're already off track on the threads topic, so I was just goofing around. I had suggested to a member some time back that he animate his avatar because it was kinda cool, but he said Travis limits the file size, so...

I was just messing with this...
http://ezgif.com/resize
Got them now, thanks![emoji4]

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I outsource all milling,printing,and abutments.
I just picked up 2 new clients this month .
They like my fcz crowns.
Thanks Argen!

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I would like to see what I'm missing in a crown milled , pre-stained and finished in a controlled environment rather than what I'm producing by just staining a crown milled from one of the popular milling centers. If anyone would be kind enough to send me a crown that perhaps did not fit or rejected for some reason I would be happy to buy a couple off someone just to compare.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I would like to see what I'm missing in a crown milled , pre-stained and finished in a controlled environment rather than what I'm producing by just staining a crown milled from one of the popular milling centers. If anyone would be kind enough to send me a crown that perhaps did not fit or rejected for some reason I would be happy to buy a couple off someone just to compare.
you just want to see some fcz crowns? i have a handful kicking around.
mistakes, miscolors, etc.

AlienMilling

AlienMilling

Sponsors
Reaction score
The surface finish quality as mentioned above is due to the spindle rpm and feed rate of the strategy used.

We strive to give clients the best surface finish possible. As fas as shades, we recommend using pre-shaded blocks, and adding incisor stain before sinter.

Top Bottom