CAP sum3D, not very smart

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
You think Uncle Henry wants this thread and SamCaps response to show up every time someone runs a Google search on this topic?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess, no.

Actually I would say Zahn is very progressive about what goes on in the "interwebz" of things and their Web department has SEO'd the crap out of direct Zahn related and HS related items to out flood anything we do here. Not to mention we keep using different names for the actual company.

i think HS know very little about how the internet actually works.

What you and everyone else doesn't know.
CRob is Uncle Hank. You've been warned.

From experience i can say that while i may not agree with HS, they ARE a Fortune 200 company and that would mean the decisions they've made have benefitted them. Let's just say while they may be messing with my business, I may or may not have stock in them that pays dividends

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Now I have come on DLN and knocked a company down a peg only to receive a phone call almost immediately to rectify a situation. And the situations are always handled well. And sometimes I feel it was handled so well only because I made a stink on DLN.
So if things get really really bad and I feel a company like CAP isn't making it a priority. I know I can chime in here and it will light a fire under someones tushy.

I remember we got a brand spanking new $13,000.00 press oven. Long story short, it didn't work. So they sent another one. That one didn't work either. Then finally the territory manager QCed the oven, packed it up, and drove it over himself. Maybe that wouldn't have happened if I didn't mention to DLN how frustrated we were. If you googled Dekema 654, there were a couple years where that DLN thread showed up first. Now it's buried a bit so I don't feel so bad.

Like when someone takes to Twitter to call out an airline, all hell breaks loose. But the problem gets resolved quickly.

I understand the frustration from Prestige. And I understand going public with the frustration.

However, if what Sam says is true, I actually feel bad for CAP and understand why SAM would tell the other side of the story and don't think he was trying to humiliate a customer.

I was fortunate enough to spend a full day with Luigi 1 on 1, and anyone who knows Sum3D well will understand not just anyone should sit down and have a go at it. It's very possible that Prestige is unknowingly at fault for the problems they are having. If you tell Sum3D to kill your machine, it will.

CAP has bent over backwards for us before. I do expect them to bend over backwards again if it comes to that. Cause if they don't, you guys will hear about it. But I am very appreciative for the favors CAP and even Roland themselves have done for us. It took some time and some phone calls. But problems were solved that couldn't have been without CAPs support.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Actually I would say Zahn is very progressive about what goes on in the "interwebz" of things and their Web department has SEO'd the crap out of direct Zahn related and HS related items to out flood anything we do here. Not to mention we keep using different names for the actual company.

From experience i can say that while i may not agree with HS, they ARE a Fortune 200 company and that would mean the decisions they've made have benefitted them. Let's just say while they may be messing with my business, I may or may not have stock in them that pays dividends

Fortune 300, actually #268 to be precise.

Schein does a terrible job with their SEO and with their marketing in general.Their website is absolutely atrocious for a Fortune whatever company. Their site hardly ever shows up in Google searches for products they carry. I just checked one item and I see Patterson, Nowak, Dorado, Davis Dental, US Dental Depot, Americana, Atlanta Dental and then finally on the third page I see Henry Schein. And I still don't see Zahn because Zahn doesn't even technically have their own website.

And they know this is all a problem because they have "A brand new Zahn website coming soon".

Zahn has not adapted to the 21st century, and there are reasons behind that. Namely the people running the place. But hey, they got deep pockets so they can just go buy all the other companies up that compete with them. I mean seriously, if they were that great why is it every quarter they are buying out another supplier?

The only reason people buy from Zahn is because they usually have everything (at least they used to) or they have a relationship with one of the inside reps. And if you have one of the good inside reps you better be sure to call when they are there otherwise you are SOL.

Yes, the management team of the mothership Schein is spectacular and they are doing great things for their shareholders. But the lab business is and always will be relegated to the broom closet on that ship. It just is not a top priority. That is, until they directly go after our business. Which they will, in due time.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
That is, until they directly go after our business. Which they will, in due time.
Will? Have you seen any of the flyers in sent packages to dental offices? Ads for CMC directly to Dr's.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Will? Have you seen any of the flyers in sent packages to dental offices? Ads for CMC directly to Dr's.

I've heard but not seen. I detest most of the management at Zahn. They are backstabbers.

Schein has their tentacles in so much crap it is amazing. But hey, they are smart. They hedge their bets and play every side so they can't lose. When you have a 13 billion market cap you can afford to do that. Same thing with Dentpsly.

But they are more dangerous because they are already getting face time with the docs. The only thing that gives me comfort is that their reps are so lazy they don't push it as hard as they could. Plus, those pikers are always looking to hit home runs. They want to sell a doc a new x-ray machine not some measly little $100 crown.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
I started with cap when it was a small company and the customer care was there. But now CAP has changed, the culture of the company has changed.

It's true that the cad cam we know today is because of CAPs support and help.

I wish I did not have to go to other people asking for help with Imes problems,

1) tool breakage

2) the tool mills into the interface of the titanium blank

3) the milling of the blank is not concentric, over milling on one side of blank and undermilling on the opposite.

And this problem persists inspite of rigorous calibrations with CAP on line and $3500 of recent maintenance fee paid to CAP.
I would have sent CAP many many pictures of the poorly Milled abutments seeking help to fix the problem but no success. I have suffered with this problem for a very long time and I paid 80k for this machine.

I would request CAP to fix my machine/ strategy so that the tool does not mill into the blank interface and mills concentrically.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I started with cap when it was a small company and the customer care was there. But now CAP has changed, the culture of the company has changed.

It's true that the cad cam we know today is because of CAPs support and help.

I wish I did not have to go to other people asking for help with Imes problems,

1) tool breakage

2) the tool mills into the interface of the titanium blank

3) the milling of the blank is not concentric, over milling on one side of blank and undermilling on the opposite.

And this problem persists inspite of rigorous calibrations with CAP on line and $3500 of recent maintenance fee paid to CAP.
I would have sent CAP many many pictures of the poorly Milled abutments seeking help to fix the problem but no success. I have suffered with this problem for a very long time and I paid 80k for this machine.

I would request CAP to fix my machine/ strategy so that the tool does not mill into the blank interface and mills concentrically.
theres some wiggle room when you bolt the holder in the frame for the holder right? have you figured that this amount of play in the holder might be the root cause of your issue? have you taken any steps to ensure that each time you change holders you place them back in the same position?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Wrong Calibration and or wrong zero point versus zero points if only happened at the abutments should be not that complicated
first check with the calibration bodys general rotation versus deviation use wax or pmma and a high end micrometer.done in 30 minutes than if nesseray the holder of the preforms.

Theres a folder in the workbench folder called NP log make a copy for all cases its a simple xml easy to edit
and maybe call NT about the holder if additional things are necessary ( zero point measuring ) for each mill ???
And you have the option via imes straight !! if cap is not able or willing to fix.

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
there's a new reseller for Imes i believe as well.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
there's a new reseller for Imes i believe as well.
What about D.A.L. Dental Arts Lab in Illinois? They were a huge imes distributor, guys name is Ryan, was or still is a member on here from a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
What about D.A.L. Dental Arts Lab in Illinois? They were a huge imes distributor, guys name is Ryan, was or still is a member on here from a few years ago.

Ryan is no longer there from what I understand. Call and ask for Jim Brown, he will be able to help you.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Ryan is no longer there from what I understand. Call and ask for Jim Brown, he will be able to help you.
I'd never buy an imes just saying.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
I'd never buy an imes just saying.

I very much agree with you. I will not buy an imes any more. There is no support.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I very much agree with you. I will not buy an imes any more. There is no support.
They are well built mills but the down side is hard to find support that is great. And when the mills goes down, it's down for days to weeks.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
They are well built, but not indestructible. I broke the end off the X axis screw shaft, granted I had it doing emax aggressively but still shouldn't have happened. IMG-20140825-00527.jpg

Top Bottom