difference btwn CDT and RDT?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
never heard about this "house" issue, here in texas there are a lot of labs in houses,
mine is coming back to the house for a short period till we finish building .

I dont think you have anything to worry about. I dont think there are in-house police or anything like that. :D

I only found out about it in and article in the JDT Oct. 2006 ( on of the editorials in the front) other than that I have not heard anything about it.

Did some research and it looks like the Medical Device Manufacturers has "annexed" the dental laboratories in Texas. And according to there rules there cant be a manufacturer attached to a residence. I really think they are talking to the prosthetic eyes, noses, legs..what have you.
I believe licensing in the industry is some thing like 400-600 a year, I said no thanks..plus I haven't received official word from the state.
Hope that helps

I may be wrong but I believe I found it somewhere amungst this hupla.

2000 CFR Title 24, Volume 3

Good Luck!
Cade

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
here you can have the lab in your house, but can not put commercial sign up without zoning variance passed without contest from any neighbour. No sign -- no variance needed, unless you cause disturbace for the neighbour, or you have customer traffic.

We don't have any regulated association in my province so RDT and CDT are irrelevant.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
In the state of Texas a lab must not share a common entry point with a residence and the air and heat need to be separated but they can be under one roof. FDA has that same rule so that applies to everyone everywhere. Is it going to be enforced everywhere? forgetaboutit!

MIC,KEY,OU,CDT

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I dont think you have anything to worry about. I dont think there are in-house police or anything like that. :D

I only found out about it in and article in the JDT Oct. 2006 ( on of the editorials in the front) other than that I have not heard anything about it.

Did some research and it looks like the Medical Device Manufacturers has "annexed" the dental laboratories in Texas. And according to there rules there cant be a manufacturer attached to a residence. I really think they are talking to the prosthetic eyes, noses, legs..what have you.
I believe licensing in the industry is some thing like 400-600 a year, I said no thanks..plus I haven't received official word from the state.
Hope that helps

I may be wrong but I believe I found it somewhere amungst this hupla.

2000 CFR Title 24, Volume 3

Good Luck!
Cade

The FDA and Texas uses the same investigators. I have been visited twice.

The DLAT tried hard last year to get the State Health Department out of our over-site but couldn't find a bill sponsor.NO $$$$$$. I thought they were missing the boat. IMO this was the time to get out from under over-site by our customers TSBDE and let the health department be our over-site. They have the same rules as FDA.

Then we must only show how we use the FDA registered 510K materials and track them and the Dentist gets to make the decision about what they will put in the mouth knowing the lab is meeting FDA mandated GMP(good manufacturing practices.) But NOOOOOOO! most though if they just stuck thier head in the sand it would all just go away.

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
Depends upon local City ordinance, Some cities will disallow in-home business based on traffic flow ( too many deliveries, too many "home" parties, etc),some won't care. Check with the local Business License granting body (you do have one of those...right???). Some won't let you use regulated gasses, like propane, check with the fire department

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
Certified Dental Technician-Means you took the comprehensive exam, written speciality exam and then the practical and passed all those. RDT- Means you went to a recognized school for 2years or 4 years in Dental Technology and decided to go that route to get your CDT license. If my memory serves me right, the RDT's don't have to take the comprehensive exam, but will still have to take the written and practical to acheive their RDT/CDT title. Hope this helps.

In some countries CDT means Clinical Dental Technicians. These are usually technicians that have further qualified to become clinical and usually still run a full time laboratory. As opposed to denturists that train specifically for that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The RDT is worth about 25% less than a CDT, although it changes almost daily.....

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Bulk Rate rather than First Class?

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
This is my take on the subject:

CDT is Certified Dental Technician which is achieved by passing the NADL examination.

RDT is Registered Dental Technician which varies from state to state and other countries.

Here in South Carolina you do not need to have a CDT to run a dental laboratory but you do need to be an RDT if you would like to run a dental laboratory. Our state board of dentistry has its own examination and application process in order to become an RDT. You must work 3 years under another CDT, RDT, or Dr. have 3 letters of recommendation from licensed professionals and take the State Board of Dentistry Exam before you can become a Registered Dental Technician in the state. If you already are a CDT and want to work in this state you only have to take the jurisprudence section of the exam to register. All out of state technicians filling rx's from the state of SC must be registered in state. Once registered you only have to keep up with CE's and follow the same rules/laws everyone else does. South Carolina is 1 of 3 states that require technicians to be registered with that states board of dentistry. Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

CDT is Certified Dental Technician which is achieved by passing the NADL examination.

RDT is Registered Dental Technician which varies from state to state and other countries.

Here in South Carolina you do not need to have a CDT to run a dental laboratory but you do need to be an RDT if you would like to run a dental laboratory. Our state board of dentistry has its own examination and application process in order to become an RDT. You must work 3 years under another CDT, RDT, or Dr. have 3 letters of recommendation from licensed professionals and take the State Board of Dentistry Exam before you can become a Registered Dental Technician in the state. If you already are a CDT and want to work in this state you only have to take the jurisprudence section of the exam to register. All out of state technicians filling rx's from the state of SC must be registered in state. Once registered you only have to keep up with CE's and follow the same rules/laws everyone else does. South Carolina is 1 of 3 states that require technicians to be registered with that states board of dentistry. Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.
I'm curious, how or better yet, who enforces that the dentists send to lab that has to be registered with south Carolina? I'm not saying I've done work for dentists in South Carolina, but I'm not saying I haven't either...was just curious is all.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm curious, how or better yet, who enforces that the dentists send to lab that has to be registered with south Carolina? I'm not saying I've done work for dentists in South Carolina, but I'm not saying I haven't either...was just curious is all.
I am, and for a mere $100 I can make sure everything works just fine. Send 5 $20 bills to 2thm8kr's [email protected]

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
p

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Travis already sent it..as a member of DLN you are hereby granted immunity of such egregious acts of government into your workload.
Perfect, I am sending a copy of that document to my attorney. I just got DLN diplomatic immunity.
Party

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Are you aware of which are the other two states? Isn't Texas one?

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Haha the same people that are "supposed" enforce all these other rules...You've never had the lab police come by your place before? They're always pulling me over checking to make sure I have the proper RX's while transporting models...

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Are you aware of which are the other two states? Isn't Texas one?

Not sure exactly. This is just information that is on our lab associations website. I think Texas is one but don't know for sure. I've never looked into it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly. This is just information that is on our lab associations website. I think Texas is one but don't know for sure. I've never looked into it.
Thanks!