Digital Dentures

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think it shows promise for imaging, but it's still not going to get a functional or any kind of tissue displacement with ultrasonic. I think some kind of contact device will be needed if the clinical side is going to get digitized for fully edentulous prosthetics.

You can always scan an alginate.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Heraus PalaDigital Dentures is a system we use in our lab. Dentist takes two impressions in specialized tray, lutes them together after doing a gothic arch tracing. We scan the impressions and the fixed bite. Send STL's off to Heraeus, they do CAD set up and print up a set of try in dentures. If ok, they finish using heat cure and real denture teeth. At third appointment patient has completed dentures.
I already do this in some cases where patients cannot tolerate a lot of handling. I will do a preliminary impression using shrienmakers disposable trays, cut off the handles and take a preliminary bite using intraoral putty and making a few crude esthetic markings at the same time while keeping the freeway space measurements. Next visit is a pin tracing on a bite rim with the six upper anteriors set in wax...a border molded impression is taken using the pin tracing trays and any adjustments to the six anteriors are done at that time too if possible a quick facebow is done also....I will use plastogum to secure the bite registration....technically I will have enough information to proceed from there right to processing.....I know there are high risks in doing it this way rather than making each component separately and a lot of if, ands, or buts....and I only do these in cases where it is demanded.....But the philosophy is to obtain as much as possible information from the patient in each visit and minimise the number of visits in such as way as to not let seperate elements cause interference.....But really I believe in the long method of doing things because of its built in checks and balances.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
i predict the only real market for "digital dentures"
will be providing duplicate dentures.

from scanning custom dentures made traditionally.

digital duplicate dentures.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Even the best border molding techniques can need to be refined using a functional impression over a few days...It is also very difficult to obtain full coverage of the retromolar pads when any combined impression is done with a bite registration...It takes a trained eye to determine whether the heals of the lower or the retro tuberosity region on the upper should be reduced....The only advantage I can see is that a milled intaglio might be a better fitting one....Whatever the process or protocol, adjustments clinically invariably occur.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Denture bases will be 4d printed.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Already printing base plates and bite blocks.
Yes but from what I know about 4d is that the material can shape shift. The concept is being considered for ortho as well.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yes but from what I know about 4d is that the material can shape shift. The concept is being considered for ortho as well.
I don't know anything about 4d. I out source my designs using the bite splint module in exo

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Heraus PalaDigital Dentures is a system we use in our lab. Dentist takes two impressions in specialized tray, lutes them together after doing a gothic arch tracing. We scan the impressions and the fixed bite. Send STL's off to Heraeus, they do CAD set up and print up a set of try in dentures. If ok, they finish using heat cure and real denture teeth. At third appointment patient has completed dentures.
Do you like the way the dentures come out? I don't think the base contours are correct.