Do I need any sort of license in the US as Dental technician?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im not quite sure thats true about Germany.. but Im sure someone will chime in on that. Switzerland has much tighter buttocks... er regulations than DL but I was able to work in and own a lab with no CDT.
You are right about doing apprenticeships, its somethings the US is decades, maybe centuries behind in. We take it upon ourselves to learn a craft here, however we can,"OJT".. its unregulated for the most part. The downside in Europe is, your career path is chosen for you at a very young age, by 12-13 depending on how well you do in school, with little chance to switch careers once youve committed to a apprenticeship/school. Most dont pay much because its intended for younger people still living at home. Truly educated and well trained workforce. Everyone in the lab knows how to do everything, its quite intimidating even having earned a CDT.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Im not quite sure thats true about Germany.. but Im sure someone will chime in on that. Switzerland has much tighter buttocks... er regulations than DL but I was able to work in and own a lab with no CDT.

Germany, Switzerland and I think Austria are very similar in that regard. Although in Germany you need the 'Gesellenbrief" (CDT) to be able to work in a trade. And you have to have the "Meister" (Master) to own a business. Not sure about Austria.
In Switzerland, it is a 4 year 'on the job training' while going to school, like Affinity explained. The education is thorough and you are able to cover all the positions in a Dental lab, after receiving you CDT equivalent. I am not sure what is required to open your own lab. I am sure things have changed, since 1992 when I left...

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
You should look for an in-house lab position. There was a Dr on here in the last year looking for a tech in Aspen, Co. I believe the person he found was someone from outside of the US. Be careful moving here to work for a lab, with or without certification. Good luck.

Hi there. Can you explain what you mean by "be careful"? Americas a safe place... isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Not sure where you are from PDL, I wasnt speaking on safety, only well-being.
Ive seen people uproot their lives and move for a job only to be let go after a few months or offered a lower salary to return. Or they give you huge production numbers that werent part of the 'deal' when you signed on. After youve relocated, you have no choice but to keep your job. Bait and switch. Im not saying this is common, but I am saying Ive been screwed over more in the dental industry than outside of it..

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
Not sure where you are from PDL, I wasnt speaking on safety, only well-being.
Ive seen people uproot their lives and move for a job only to be let go after a few months or offered a lower salary to return. Or they give you huge production numbers that werent part of the 'deal' when you signed on. After youve relocated, you have no choice but to keep your job. Bait and switch. Im not saying this is common, but I am saying Ive been screwed over more in the dental industry than outside of it..

Wow. Ok good to know. Thanks. From New Zealand. Not planning on moving over, but my daughter is obsessed with America, so back of mind option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
"obsessed with America"...someone who actually wants to move here, compared to the Hollywood elites etc who threatened to move out, now that Trump is soon to be el Presidente o_O:D

Top Bottom