Full arch fixed implant supported zirconia dentures- thoughts about longterm?

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Hi guys! What are your thoughts about these fixed full zirconia denture questions? What do you tell a dentist when they ask about them?

1- Weight? Aren't they heavy? Will that cause a problem later?

2- Will the zirconia posteriors constantly chewing/biting/clacking hurt the opposing teeth?

3- What if they break? Will you be able to fire more porcelain on them? Or redo them cheaply?

4- Is the sound of them hitting opposing teeth a problem?

Are there any other questions I'm missing? Do you think they're a good restoration?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I am approaching 400 arches now, this appliance is extremely technique demanding and must have a very strict protocol to be successful. A lab just starting out with these restorations should by all means take a course that will allow them to have some idea what it takes to become successful doing them, but more importantly be able to dictate protocol to their clients.

To answer your questions

Yes they are heavy

All restorations can "clack" its more to do with occlusion rather than material

I have had 2 fail in the mouth. One was done over at my expense the other at drs since it was contraindicated.

Have not had complaints, we have done many FMR arch over arch.

They have been a solid product for use so far, and I see no reason why there will become issues down the line.

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
I am approaching 400 arches now, this appliance is extremely technique demanding and must have a very strict protocol to be successful. A lab just starting out with these restorations should by all means take a course that will allow them to have some idea what it takes to become successful doing them, but more importantly be able to dictate protocol to their clients.

To answer your questions

Yes they are heavy

All restorations can "clack" its more to do with occlusion rather than material

I have had 2 fail in the mouth. One was done over at my expense the other at drs since it was contraindicated.

Have not had complaints, we have done many FMR arch over arch.

They have been a solid product for use so far, and I see no reason why there will become issues down the line.

Thanks, John- awesome answers, as usual. I was hoping you would weigh in. I know you've done a bunch of 'em. I like your new profile pic!

We've done quite a few- but nowhere near 400 at this point. Everyone has been pleased with them, but I was just wondering how more experience people respond to such questions.

M

Matt Mills

Reaction score
Screw-retained Zirconia are a great way to go! I will go ahead and 2nd everything JohnWilson said with emphasis on the technique aspect. It can be extremely costly if not done properly, but they are the best option in my opinion for fully edentulous patients that qualify. With the use of 3shape and a simple Roland DWX-50, you can start to crank these out pretty quickly when you get your rhythm. Good luck!

Top Bottom