Looking for a lab space.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
So. The time has come to reclaim my house. The lab is getting the boot and I'm looking for a space to lease. Besides the obvious...sq. footage, power requirements and location what else would you consider important in finding a spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Window locations.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Maybe how the space flows/layout. Congrats, if my wife ever wants me to reclaim the garage, I'm putting a metal shop on the back of the property.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
An open floor plan with a couple offices would be ideal. Nothing like trying to talk to a Doctor while the guy next to you is grinding a Denture :). Also, get an alarm system...can't tell you how many knuckleheads out there think we carry a vast amount of gold and they will attempt to break in.

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
So. The time has come to reclaim my house. The lab is getting the boot and I'm looking for a space to lease. Besides the obvious...sq. footage, power requirements and location what else would you consider important in finding a spot?

Zoning. Check with local zoning laws to find out where a lab can go, some cities are strict, some don't care. Dental labs are considered manufacturers in the US so you may be limited in where you can set up a business.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Also, try to buy a piece of shlt instead of renting. Think about it, you're going to have to rewire, replumb, remodel anyways. Get something out there for practically nothing and take your time remodeling it, paying as you go. That way when you cut the tape on opening day...YOU OWN IT. Renting in my book is plssing money out the door at this point in your life.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Also, try to buy a piece of shlt instead of renting. Think about it, you're going to have to rewire, replumb, remodel anyways. Get something out there for practically nothing and take your time remodeling it, paying as you go. That way when you cut the tape on opening day...YOU OWN IT. Renting in my book is plssing money out the door at this point in your life.
Not only the dollar aspect, but also not having to deal with a landlord. The last place I worked had constant roof leaks, it seemed like every time it rained they would be out to "fix" the roof, just for it to leak when it rained again.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Not only the dollar aspect, but also not having to deal with a landlord. The last place I worked had constant roof leaks, it seemed like every time it rained they would be out to "fix" the roof, just for it to leak when it rained again.
Was your landlord a government worker? Union maybe?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Noise could cause lots of grief with your neighbors, I'd make sure that there are good sound proofed demising walls in place, in professional buildings they tend to subdivide office spaces with just simple walls to save on $$$...

Edited to add: if you going to lease a space, hire a lawyer to go through the lease agreement before you sign. Make sure everything you want is on paper.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Tell your wife the sewing room does not pay the bills. :) Unless your looking to grow and bring in employees stay put.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You will pay much more for visibility. If there's an old factory/industrial zone/ closed manufactuer they are usually cheaper, well electrified, and have very little noise issues. Not always in the nicer places though.
I was classified as Light-Industrial, but the office building I'm in was zoned for it.

I see why the others say buy, but renting has distinct advantages also. It's not all your problem being chief of those, you can focus on your business, craft, and marketing instead of dividing further into property management.
If you look at the rental side, go back to the places without the owner and ask prospective neighbors or others whorent from them what they think of the owner's reputation.

If buying, check the main plumbing in and sewage out. Are the in the concrete slab foundation?
Edit: If they are that could be a major headache if your traps are not changed enough, even when they are, some still gets out.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Tell your wife the sewing room does not pay the bills. :) Unless your looking to grow and bring in employees stay put.
John brings up a great point...I just did this not too long ago. There is no way in hell i'd move without making sure I had the bank account looking REAL good. Also, no way I would lease or rent either. There is so many commericial pieces of shlt out there for practically nothing. I only highly suggest this because...
1. You could make it fun with your family---searching for a new place, renovating a place that will be yours, having family (contractors) help you build it.
2. Your accountant will want you to buy as well...the lab will pay you rent
3. If you want to add-on, or slow down, go for it...your overhead is minimal, you own the place.
4. A lot of the household bills are wrote off currently because your business is in the house...this will change, so be prepared.
5. You can take your time building and renovating when you own it...pace yourself, and pace your bank account, you only move when everything is done, you've made the bank account swell, and are ready to do it.
6. Seriously, it can be the most rewarding thing to do, but do it smart or you'll be regretting it very shortly.

I updated my website (below) recently to include some pictures/video of the lab...have a look. It all started from the kitchen table 7 years ago.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I'm not ready to buy just yet. I started four years ago. As suggested earlier id rather focus on continuing to grow the business right now. I'd stay put but I've grown to the point that it's crowded and the workflow inefficient. I need to hire some help but I'm not going to have people walking through my home. I've found a few places to look at that are very economical and clean. Not beautiful but they are clean and large enough to where I can start hosting educational seminars in the lab for local docs (part of the business plan). I figure after 3-5 more years I can look at buying a building. This is all great feedback. Thanks to everyone. I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Nicole, is moving to another house with some land a possibility. LabGuy has good points, and the overhead and headache of renting/owning a building may not be what you want, but that you want to get the business out of the house. We moved to the country a little over a year ago, and found some acreage that I could build on if I wanted to, but in the end got a house with a 4 car garage that I've outfitted into our lab, no issues with the powers that be on zoning, state dental board, etc. Its roughly 1,000 square foot, we've insulated it, put in a mini-split for climate, rewired it for all that I will ever need, and I don't have to pay rent on it. How cool is that. Maybe not exactly what you're going for, but that's the route my wife and I decided to take.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Sorry, you posted while I was typing. Good luck!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Maybe how the space flows/layout. Congrats, if my wife ever wants me to reclaim the garage, I'm putting a metal shop on the back of the property.
AC/DC or Aluminium and Steel?

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Well. It's official. Found and secured a space. Anyone want to come to the paint party?
27d9bc6be8c39fda85b70204d020fa76.jpg
2f0efe74d6abdecc1f730990557f4a21.jpg
92ce4a06614fa0393f489b4bbbe0cb42.jpg
a5a56c141990cefc1fa81fe000c78fe4.jpg

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Tell us a bit more :)...